What's new

Netflix Raising Pricing! See Post #12 (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Since Amazon does not charge extra in order to watch their content in 4K, similar streaming service as Amazon Prime costs 50% more through Netflix ($15/mo vs. $10/mo), without any of the additional benefits provided by Prime.

The price I see when I select "Try Prime" as of today is $12.99 per month.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It’ll still be there even if you cancel for a month or two.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Thankfully TMO still pays for our basic Netflix plan. I just bumped the plan up to allow more family members to watch and that's just $3 extra a month i have to spend to enjoy Netflix. It is by far the best streaming service out there IMO. Hulu is good for watching network shows you may have missed and a handful of decent movies but that's about it..

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thankfully TMO still pays for our basic Netflix plan. I just bumped the plan up to allow more family members to watch and that's just $3 extra a month i have to spend to enjoy Netflix. It is by far the best streaming service out there IMO. Hulu is good for watching network shows you may have missed and a handful of decent movies but that's about it..
Is this deal available for all T-Mobile customers? My wife uses them.

EDIT: Never mind. I researched the deal and we only have the one line. Great deal for those who are eligible!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Netflix today made me affirmatively agree to the price increase to $12.99 before it would let me access my content. Getting very close to moving Netflix from a year-round subscription to one of the many services I rotate back to for a couple of months and then drop.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I don't know what to say to those naive enough to believe streaming services like Netflix would not increase their pricing once they became the prominent provider or at least one of the most prominent providers of such a service. Well duh?!? It happened with pay-per-view, and cable subscriptions and Direct satellite. And what?...Netflix wasn't going to follow suit? This is precisely why there is room for healthy competition, both from other providers and from physical media options in lieu of streaming and cloud based services. It keeps price gouging in check, folks. Big surprise - not!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is this really price gauging? Netflix is a premium service, offering a variety of expensive, original content along with the licensed content that they rotate in and out. All of that content costs money. HBO Now, which offers less content and poorer technical quality than Netflix, charges $15 a month for their offerings. $12.99 seems reasonable in that context. They also don't require you to commit to any minimum number of months, so members are free to drop the service at their convenience. It's not realistic to expect services to never raise rates ever.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what to say to those naive enough to believe streaming services like Netflix would not increase their pricing once they became the prominent provider or at least one of the most prominent providers of such a service. Well duh?!? It happened with pay-per-view, and cable subscriptions and Direct satellite. And what?...Netflix wasn't going to follow suit?
I actually think the opposite is true: Netflix is rapidly increasing its price because its era of dominance in the streaming segment is being challenged. With Disney/Fox and Warner Bros. both launching their own streaming services, Netflix knows it can't rely on licensed content to keep its subscribers on the hook. So it's rapidly expanding its original content, and original content costs a lot of money.

I don't necessarily blame them for doing it. But they're creeping up into the range where I won't reflexively let the charges roll regardless of whether I'm using it. Definitely going to stay subscribed through July for the new season of "Stranger Things". But after that, I'm going to have to reevaluate.

It's not realistic to expect services to never raise rates ever.
It was $7.99 for five years, then $8.99 for a year, then $9.99 for two years, then $10.99 for a year, and now $12.99. The cost increases are getting steeper and more frequent. I do understand why, but it does change my subscribing habits.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It was $7.99 for five years, then $8.99 for a year, then $9.99 for two years, then $10.99 for a year, and now $12.99. The cost increases are getting steeper and more frequent. I do understand why, but it does change my subscribing habits.

I didn’t realize it had changed so frequently in recent years. I’m not opposed to prices going up in general but having yearly increases is a bit much in my view. My wife maintains this one and I rarely use it so it’s just not on my radar.

And I’m with you on the subscribing habits. Compared to cable channels, it’s so easy to pick up a streaming service for a month or two, watch a thing and then drop it. It would seem Netflix is a great candidate for this since their model of releasing all episodes at once encourages binge watching.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It is. Those are the prices for the HD option with two simultaneous streams, which is their "default" option. I don't have a 4K Display nor a 4K-capable Roku, so it's not worth paying the premium for me.
I had it for the 4K tv in the bedroom and the Atmos sound for the main non 4K tv with an Atv4K in the living room.

Might be awhile before I sign in again.
Just got an annual DC U plan so that will keep me busy for some time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I had it for the 4K tv in the bedroom and the Atmos sound for the main non 4K tv with an Atv4K in the living room.

Might be awhile before I sign in again.
Just got an annual DC U plan so that will keep me busy for some time.
Is your non-4K TV a projector?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
No it’s a 80” Vizio 3D tv.

Bedroom tv is a little 55 incher.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
A question for those of you who have dropped and resubscribed to Netflix.

What happens to your saved settings?

I currently have three ‘users’ set up - myself and my two sons. Will I have to recreate these?

And would I lose my already viewed history?

And my favorites?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
A question for those of you who have dropped and resubscribed to Netflix.

What happens to your saved settings?

I currently have three ‘users’ set up - myself and my two sons. Will I have to recreate these?

And would I lose my already viewed history?

And my favorites?

Nothing happens. You're not closing the account, you're just not paying for anything that month

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I just checked and it says this if you cancel:

"Come back anytime. If you restart your streaming plan within 10 months, your profiles, favorites, viewing preferences and account details will be waiting for you."

So you've got 10 months to re-up and save your settings, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks