What's new

Netflix Raising Pricing! See Post #12 (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I just received a notification from Netflix that my Standard plan price would increase from the current $10.99 to $12.99 effective April 23rd.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just cancelled.
We'll keep it cancelled for a couple months then re-up for a couple then cancel......

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I just cancelled.
We'll keep it cancelled for a couple months then re-up for a couple then cancel......
Looks like I'll have to adopt a similar strategy. I don't know how long they think they can sustain this business model.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As long as they’re priced lower than HBO - and even with this price hike, they are - I don’t think it’ll have a substantial impact.

The market rate for a one-time digital rental of a film is about $5, and the market rate for a digital purchase of a single TV episode is $3.

Even at $13 a month, Netflix still provides a tremendous amount of value for the price they charge, especially in relation to industry standard pricing for digital a la carte rentals and purchases.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
As long as they’re priced lower than HBO - and even with this price hike, they are - I don’t think it’ll have a substantial impact.

The market rate for a one-time digital rental of a film is about $5, and the market rate for a digital purchase of a single TV episode is $3.

Even at $13 a month, Netflix still provides a tremendous amount of value for the price they charge, especially in relation to industry standard pricing for digital a la carte rentals and purchases.

You scare me when you say such things because it sounds like you're sitting in a Netflix conference room with inside information. :)

Personally I find the vast majority of Netflix content pedestrian at best. I do like certain shows but they are usually older ones I missed when they were originally released [Mad Men, etc,] not the "Original Content" they are spending so much on these days.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Haha no, I’m not connected to them. I just think they know their target audience and what that audience will accept.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I've never understood the overall strategy Netflix employs. Granted, I'm not all that business savvy but the content costs seem astronomical compared to the subscriber base vs rates. Netflix also seems to pay ridiculous prices for it's "original" content, much of which comes from performers far past their primes such as Jerry Seinfeld and Dave Chappelle. Nothing against either of these icons, just saying, their best work is behind them and , ironically, not even available on Netflix.

I know it's bad form to quote oneself but this is from a previous thread here that I felt worth repeating.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Because Netflix refuses to follow industry standard practices about viewership, at the end of the day, we don’t know if they’re wasting venture capital investment money or if they’re actually getting viewership for the stuff they’re throwing money at.

I’m not sure exactly what it’s a sign of, but it says something that they spent about $15 million to make the movie Roma, but spent at least $45 million promoting it to Oscar voters. What it means...who knows.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Because Netflix refuses to follow industry standard practices about viewership, at the end of the day, we don’t know if they’re wasting venture capital investment money or if they’re actually getting viewership for the stuff they’re throwing money at.

What it means...who knows.

We DO know all this stuff, though. Netflix is a publicly traded company and you need only look at their financials if you want the answers.

Viewership doesn't matter as they are not selling advertising. At the end of the day it's how much money they are spending vs. how much they're taking in, and all that info is readily available.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
We DO know all this stuff, though. Netflix is a publicly traded company and you need only look at their financials if you want the answers.

Viewership doesn't matter as they are not selling advertising. At the end of the day it's how much money they are spending vs. how much they're taking in, and all that info is readily available.

Good info.

Thanks!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Personally I find the vast majority of Netflix content pedestrian at best. I do like certain shows but they are usually older ones I missed when they were originally released [Mad Men, etc,] not the "Original Content" they are spending so much on these days.

This is why I'm trying Hulu, and so far, so good-- it has more that I want to see (like NBC greats of the 80s Hunter and St. Elsewhere)!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I just don't see the value when I compare the cost of Netflix to what I am paying for Amazon Prime. Netflix now cost $3 more per month, and with Amazon I not only get streaming of older shows, but 4K streaming of their original content, and all the other benefits that come with Prime (free shipping, Amazon Music, some free Kindle books content, etc.).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Netflix’s original content is almost all 4K including Dolby Atmos and some Dolby Vision.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yes I think it’s $15 per.
But I don’t mind it since Netflix and amazon are the only 2 steamers I use.

Also I cancel nf for a couple months then reup then cancel etc

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes I think it’s $15 per.
But I don’t mind it since Netflix and amazon are the only 2 steamers I use.

Also I cancel nf for a couple months then reup then cancel etc
Thanks. Since Amazon does not charge extra in order to watch their content in 4K, similar streaming service as Amazon Prime costs 50% more through Netflix ($15/mo vs. $10/mo), without any of the additional benefits provided by Prime.

I guess it boils down to whether you really like the original content on Netflix. Personally, since we have never subscribed to it, I don't know what I'm missing. ;) I did pick up the first three seasons of House of Cards on DVD dirt cheap a couple of years ago. I liked the first two seasons, but didn't care for the 3rd season and decided I didn't need to see anymore.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott,

Too many movies on Amazon are SD only for my taste. I get excited when a new movie shows up and then I see it's only in SD and not HD. It's one of the reasons why I don't watch stuff on Amazon much.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert,

I mostly watch TV shows and original series on Amazon. I have rented several new releases, but those are all in HD. We did watch Manchester By the Sea for free on Amazon, though, and that was in 4K — probably because it was an Amazon Studios production.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks