What's new

Need help with negotiation skills (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Here's my situation:
I'm going to be purchasing some new speakers/subwoofer and a receiver shortly and I'm looking for some advice from those who have much more experience than I with negotiation. I would like to hear some suggestions as to how you guys go about getting a better price on things.
What are your tactics? Do you demand a specific percentage off to even consider the purchase? Are A/V stores generally open to working out better prices?
I don't want to be hosed! Bestow me with your secrets, wise ones, for I am "young grasshoppa"! :D

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Jeremy ...
From a past salespersons point of view (me) ... usually if you know what you want, don't waste the salespersons time and are ready to buy and are not "shopping around" ... the chances of getting a discount are very good.
As far as Audio Specialty stores are concerned ... the chances for a discount are less than a major chain. At least this is how it was 5 years ago.
Your results may vary :)
I think in these bad economic times, here in the US anyway, retailers are willing to make a sale rather than let you "walk".

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Negotiating is not just about getting the lowest price, if it creates a win-lose situation. If you know what you want, my advice would be to ask up front for their bottom line. If it doesn't seem like you are getting their true bottom line, first, try a counter offer, then be prepared to walk. The salesman who knows you are going to buy holds all the cards. I have seen some incredible deals done by being hesitant, and not allowing your desire to own something get the better of you.

It also depends what you feel your time is worth, If you are only looking at a small difference in price, it may be worth your while to just bite it and be done with it. Some people enjoy haggling, others will push initially then weigh the benefits of settling with holding out. Whatever you do, don't be a lookiloo, know what you want, and get it. You should also know the market for what you are buying so you know a reasonable price when you see it.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys! :)
This may help. I know that the speakers I want are (with quoted prices):
(All prices are in Canadian dollars)
Paradigm Monitor 7 - $679
Paradigm Mini Monitors - $379
- stands for Minis - $129
Paradigm CC-370 - $339
Paradigm PS-1200 - no quoted price yet
And the receiver:
Yamaha RX-V800 - $850
Choosing what I want really isn't necessary since I've pretty much decided.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks