What's new

NCAA Football 2007 Season (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
This might be fan talk but Louisville, Rutgers or West Virginia should still have a shot. At least we're getting beat by ranked teams and UL/WV were beaten by undefeated teams. Everyone keeps putting them down because they haven't a history but these other "major" schools aren't showing anything. Louisville killed Kansas State.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It should be noted though, that Louisville killed KSU when they were not playing their current QB (who's a true freshmen) very much. KSU is a team that has improved greatly throughout this season. Next year, I expect them to do fairly well.

In regards to the BCS match, here's how I look at the contenders:

USC & Notre Dame:

Notre Dame has the easiest path to 11-1, as long as they can beat USC. If USC wins out and beats Notre Dame, they will do it through a much rougher road and may get points for it - putting them high on contention. But if Notre Dame wins out and beats USC, they guarantee a national title birth provided OSU beats Michigan. This is sheerly a matter of ratings. (If Michigan beats OSU, it almost guarantees a rematch for the title game)

Arkansas and Florida - if both teams win out they will meet in the SEC conference game. The winner will have a decent case for their team in the title game.

IMHO, those are the top four contenders for a national title birth, along with of course, Michigan & OSU (so 6). I'd view anyone other then those as somewhat a longshot.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Yes and no. It's kind of sad when I get more enjoyment from watching Texas play than I do watching USC play. Texas' latest loss doesn't make up for USC's loss, but it sure helps. :)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I doubt Notre Dame will get any talk of the big game. When was the last time they played someone with a winning record? Plus, they got the crap kicked out of them by Michigan and it'll be hard putting ND ahead of them in any poll. It would be hard to put Arkansas in the title game before USC. If OS beats Michigan and ND beats USC, you have to put it OS and Michigan again.

The Arkansas/Florida winner will probably get the Big East team like last year (can't remember who played or won).

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
It's also little consolation to me that USC would have gotten the credit they deserved for winning the Rose Bowl last year if it weren't for a glitch in the replay system that kept the replay officials from seeing the evidence that would have allowed them to make the correct call. :frowning:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Well, all the "one-loss" teams cannot become two-loss teams. The loser of the OSU-UM game will become a one-loss team.

I think the only way the OSU-UM loser goes back for a rematch in the title game is under the following scenario:

1. Cal beats USC
2. USC beats Notre Dame
3. Florida does not win the SEC
4. West Virginia beats Rutgers

Now, each of those games could play out that way, by themselves. For all those games to turn out that way would be unlikely, though.

If it comes down to one-loss UM vs. one-loss Notre Dame, the Irish will probably go because Michigan's loss was at the end of the season, while ND's was early. Of course, Michigan kicked the crap out of the Irish in South Bend, so there would be some injustice in such a selection. Such are the flaws in the BCS.

GO BLUE!

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

Hmmm, I watched that game and thought USC lost because of their inept defense, especially in the 4th quarter. But you are right, the reason they lost was because of one missed call in the 2nd quarter.

Their defense had nothing to do with it. ;)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Today is a good day. The Longhorns lost, and UT fans are whining about not being able to "defend their title." Did they seriously want their team matched up against Ohio State or Michigan?

They gave up more than 300 yds passing and big play after big play to a bunch of unknowns and a freshman QB at Kansas State. Can you imagine what Troy Smith or Chad Henne would have done to UT's porous secondary?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think it's bad to say "total unknowns" at KSU.

Josh Freeman (the QB at KSU) was recruited heavily by a lot of schools, and received offers from Wisconsin, Ohio State, Nebraska, etc.. he was just promised to start as a freshman at KSU, so there he went. But that kid is the real deal.

And Figurs has been on Kiper's list as an expected pick (he's a sr. though so he's gone after this).

Yes, after that, it's a whole lot of youth - more freshman and sophomores then they've ever played to start then I remember. And no, they aren't OSU or Michigan, who would have destroyed Texas last night. But they are a team that has gotten consistently better this year as they've grown up. I think we've got a good chance to challenge for Big 12 North next year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had never heard of Freeman before last night, but was very impressed with what I saw. The kid has quite an arm and looked very composed. He made a horrible decision on that interception across the middle in the fourth quarter, but freshmen make those types of mistakes.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Glad we can agree on something. :emoji_thumbsup: Considering that the final score was a 3 point margin (with all of the 'inept defense'), then taking away 7 points from UT would have changed the outcome, unless somehow that call being made correctly would have magically made the defense even more inept, which doesn't make sense. But why I am arguing this? You already agreed, so never mind. :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
George,
If anyone has the right to moan and groan about replay it's Oklahoma fan. They got screwed 2 years in a row(Texas Tech and Oregon). They should be yet another 1 loss team.

Looking at the final batch of teams I see the following happening:

USC beats Cal.
ND beats USC
Michigan beats OSU
Arkansas beats Florida in SEC championship game. Of course they need to beat Mississippi state next week to clinch a spot and not get lazy against LSU at LSU which is a massive trap game.

If OSU loses to Michigan then the other teams will have a difficult time convincing me they belong which means I see a rematch of next weeks game. If that doesn't happen then the USC/ND game will decide who shows up. IMHO of course.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I'm interested in is seeing whether or not Bowden gets forced out at FSU after a few years of really uninspired play.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I definitely don't see that happening. I do think there will be a major shake-up in the coaching staff, but I don't think we'll see Bobby Bowden run out of town. Now, I guess if they forced his son out and Bobby decided to take a hard stance against that then maybe he'd leave, but I can't imagine FSU directly running Bobby out of town.

There's definitely part of me that would like to see him out, but I don't think FSU will do it.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Of course, but I don't recall Michigan fans claiming the same when the situation was reversed as it has been on numerous occasions the past 10+ years. ND would bump up 1 or 2 ahead of Michigan or remain a bunch behind when Michigan was #1/2, but then drop well behind with a loss to USC or someone else.

RichardK

Second Unit
BCS rankings are out and USC is #3 over Florida. This means that if USC wins out they will play whoever wins OSU, MICH for the Title. If USC loses to ND (#5 in BCS), and assuming ND has won the other games to close its season, it will play for the Title... I don't see Florida grabbing that #2 spot.

RichardK

Second Unit
I will add that if Florida and Arkansas meet in the SEC championship and Florida throttles Arkansas, Florida could push to #2, even if ND defeats USC in my above scenario. Unless of course ND absolutely throttles USC. The most sickening thing that could happen is that Michigan beats OSU, but OSU remains #2....the BCS will take an ass whippin on that then wouldnt it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks