What's new

NCAA College Football 2007 (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Only a week away, and it looks to be a fantastic year.

Though I must say, despite the across the board preseason praise for USC, I would be pleasantly surprised if we go undefeated in the regular season. There are a lot of dangerous games on the schedule for USC, and because they've battered nearly every PAC10 team for five or six years in a row, every conference game is like playing a conference championship, because it's the most important game of the season for our opponents. And the PAC 10 is no slouch either, probably the second most competitive and strongest conference in the country behind the SEC. The final six games on our schedule are brutal, Notre Dame will badly want to beat us in South Bend after our last visit there, but whether or not the Irish will be strong enough to do that is anyone's guess; we'd be foolish to underestimate that game. Nebraska will be a difficult game, perhaps our toughest game this season, and their new QB, Sam Keller, is experienced playing against SC. UCLA will be a tough team to defeat, and probably the number two in the PAC 10 this year, and if both SC and UCLA go into their matchup undefeated it'll be like the Michigan OSU game last year. That said, I think that's only the third most difficult game for SC, the second, I think, will be Washington, a much more dangerous team than is often given credit. It looks like it'll be a great year for college football. I'd love to see USC and LSU end the season at 1 and 2 as well, because LSU is still pissed at SC for splitting the national championship with them a few years ago, and it would make for a really terrific game.

I searched for college football but only found last years thread, if there's an ongoing thread please merge.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Michigan is getting a lot of love in the Big Ten. Their offense should be powerful, with QB Henne, RB Hart, WR's Manningham, Arrington, Matthews, LT Long, and TE's Massey and Butler all returning. The Wolverines' defense will be the key to how well the team finishes. They lost four starters to the first two rounds of the NFL draft, so there will be some new faces there.

Michigan has two key stretches to their schedule. The first is games 2-4 in September when they play consecutive home games vs. Oregon, Notre Dame and Penn State. The second is their final two games -- at Wisconsin and vs. Ohio State in Ann Arbor. If they can get through September undefeated, the Wisconsin game may be for the Big Ten title. The Badgers look like the other top contender in the conference, as Ohio State lost a lot of talent.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm very cautious about this season. I thought last year that USC would be great, and they let me down big time. I'm happy to see their preseason ranking, cause it indicates that (on paper at least), they have a good team. But anything less than a 13-0 season will have failed to live up to the hype. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm not counting on a successful run this year.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Big 12 south will be a 2 man race as usual(OU and Texas). The Big 12 north should be dominated by Nebraska again. Nothing really new.

Oklahoma has a new QB so all bets are off. They are loaded everywhere else but the QB being a big question mark is leaving me unsure of how they will finish.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I think Missouri is going to surprise in the Big 12 North and end up playing in the conference championship against Oklahoma or Texas. They started off great last year but stumbled, this year they should be much stronger and more consistent.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Virginia Tech is picked by many to win what looks to be a relatively weak ACC this year. If our offensive line has improved significantly from last year then I think we may have a chance to do just that. Our home/away schedule works out pretty good this year with most of our difficult conference games being played at home.

A primary concern, and possible predictor for the remainder of our season comes in week 2 at LSU. That's going to be a difficult game. Again, I think if our offensive line can hold up we will stand a reasonable chance, especially if our defense can rattle their first-year starting QB.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Oklahoma has only to get through Texas on a very realistic chance of getting to the National Championship game -- for its fourth time in eight years -- to face either USC or LSU. Miami in week two will be a challenge, but Miami is waaay down from where they were a few years ago.

With OU/USC or OU/LSU, one would be a rematch of the Suger Bowl four years ago, and one would be a rematch of the Orange Bowl the year after. Oklahoma is sooooo loaded in every other position that the QB has to only not mess things up, and all three QBs are quite talented, if inexperienced.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

As a Husker fan, that's a nice thing to hear. I'm cautiously optimistic about this season. I'm still not sold on Callahan and have even less confidence in his DC, Kevin Cosgrove (just see how well Wisconisin is doing now that he's left). I think Keller will continue to be a mixed bag - sometimes looking like an AA, and other times throwing interceptions right and left, and the defensive line will need to be rebuilt.

In the end, I think Missouri will be the main obstacle towards returning to the B12 championship and will determine either a very good, or a very mediocre season.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
As has become the norm for Clemson football for the past few years, I'm going in with cautious optimism. I think we can win 9 ball games if we can beat FSU opening night (Monday Night on ESPN :)). It all depends on our QB, which is the same qualifier we had with Will Proctor last year. In fact, the team is pretty much exactly the same as it was last year with a new OL and some new wideouts.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

as a Mizzou fan, the Mizzou Nebraska game is the non-USC game I'm looking forward to most this season. Mizzou has great potential to break out this year, last year they never gelled, but this year they may pull it off because they're a more seasoned team.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yeah, thet defense isn't looking too good right now against a I-AA team. Granted, Appalachian State has won the past two I-AA championships.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Proof why we should disband all pre-season polls, and polls should only be published after at least 2 or 3 games.

Problem is, Michigan will probably stay ranked.

Give it several games to determine where teams really should be ranked. :)

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I'm a Michigan alumnus, a season ticket holder even though I live on the West Coast, heck my dad even played football at the Big House, and all I can say about this loss is "good." It's been too many years of squandered talent, overly conservative play calling, and resting on historic laurels. Playing in the Big Ten has just added to the problem since you don't really have to be all that good to do well in the conference.

While Michigan has been spinning its wheels for the past ten years and squeaking by with an adequate offense and defense the other elite teams in the country have brought the college game up to NFL levels in many respects. We've been out recruited, out coached, and usually out played but somehow have managed to remain in the top tier through luck and Big Ten weakness.

Today was a wake-up call and I hope that things will start to change for Michigan. The near miss against Ball State last year, three consecutive losses to Ohio State, and four consecutive bowl losses probably should have been enough to do the trick but apparently that wasn't the case. Instead it'll take one of the greatest upsets in college football history to hopefully get things going in the right direction but who knows.

I still bleed maize and blue and will be cheering the team on next week against Oregon but the players, alumni, and fans deserve better than they've been getting the past few years.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

Yeah that one was my fault. :) I'm surprised the mods didn't change the thread title.

Anywho. Wow, just wow. Seriously, I have no idea how Michigan is going to recover. Isn't this the third game they've lost in a row dating back to last season?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks