What's new

NCAA Football 2007 Season (1 Viewer)

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Sagarin ranks Louisville #42 in strength of schedule. While that's not great, it's not really all that bad either. OSU and Michigan are 31 and 27 respectively. However, one big difference is that both of their SOS rankings should jump very significantly when they play each other.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Well, I guess I put my foot in my mouth at halftime when I said I hadn't seen anyone stop Louisville's offense. There's 11 people at my apartment watching the game right now and I think we're all a tad bit nervous right now.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Rutgers still sucks, just less than Louisville, South Florida, PITT, UCONN, and the rest of the Big Least. :D

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Wrong again Joseph!! Apparently they suck less than Louisville. :)

I honestly can't say I'm shocked Louisville lost but I never thought they'd lose like they did. It reminded me of their game against West Virginia last year when they were up 17 and lost it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was LMAO when they showed the overhead view of all those student rushing the field when there was still time on the clock, and then the students had to reverse field and get back to the sidelines. Excellent view.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Rutgers won't get the "big game" but it looks like they should win the conference, which will get them a BCS game. I had never seen them play but I'll add them to the list that could handle many of the other big boys.

Everyone here is pretty down but I really don't share their feelings. It was a great game and I'm glad Louisville didn't lose it with mistakes. They simply got beat.

However, I do put a curse on Rutgers kicker for missing their first FGA. :D

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

This now sets up a situation where we're going to have a mess of who's going to play the winner of the November 18th Michigan at Ohio State game. Will it be:

1) A rematch, possible if Ohio State wins a very close game against Michigan? A Michigan win over Ohio State will definitely rule out a rematch.

2) Florida, provided they win the rest of their games including the SEC Championship game?

3) Texas, provided they win the rest of their games including the Big 12 Championship game?

4) Notre Dame, provided they win the rest of their games?

5) USC, provided they win the rest of their games?

This is the situation that could finally force the creation of a three-game playoff system (two semifinals and one final game) by 2010.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Amazing second half by Rutgers. Their defense was lights out. Unreal the way they shut down the high powered offense of Louisville.

It's going to be interesting in the next few weeks....

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
A very exciting win by Rutgers - until I took stock of what it means. They are/were ranked 15th, just behind Boise State. Thay will jump over us with their win and Louisville won't drop far enough for us to get near. We need to win out and have a better ranking than the ACC champ to get a BCS bowl bid. I checked today on packages to the Fiesta Bowl. Notre Dame? Texas? Nobody will be happy if they have to play us.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm not sure how the Big East and their BCS bid works but what will happen if WV beats Rutgers and then all three (including Louisville) have one lose?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
For some reason I don't think too many people had Rutgers and Wake Forest both going to BCS games this year, but it's really looking like that's going to happen.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As Ray pointed out, the BCS title game selection is officially wacked for this year (once again!). This is going to happen more years than not, since the current selection process only works when there are two teams who are definitely "better" than everyone else. This season that definitely will not be the case.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

Hence my suggestion for a three-game playoff between the #1 to #4 teams like I suggested using the BCS bowl games.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'm rooting for Arkansas to win the SEC, then if USC wins their next four games they'll be the frontrunners to play in the national championship.

There's an article on Yahoo about what sort of games a playoff system would result in this year:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?s...yhoo&type=lgns

it'd be a pretty awesome lineup of games.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

You'll get no disagreement here. Several folks (including me) have advocated either a 4 or (ideally) 8 team playoff here numerous times. Personally, I think an eight team playoff would work best. Invite the conference champs from the top 5 or 6 BCS conferences and 2 or 3 at-large teams. I would also confine the automatic conference champ berths to the five major conferences, eliminating the Big East from an automatic bid --they would compete for one of the at-large bids. However, NCAA politics would probably require the Big East to be included in the automatic bids, even though the conference is now closer to the MAC than the "big five" conferences in terms of competitive strength.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Louisville beats Kentucky.
Kentucky beats Georgia.
Georgia kills #5 Auburn.

Yep, that SEC sure is strong this year. :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Auburn beat Florida. So if USC beats Cal and Notre Dame, should they be the ones to go to the championship? Or was that Oregon State loss unforgivable?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks