What's new

NCAA Football 2007 Season (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
A pretty weak schedule and an early loss to Michigan. Considering who they're behind, I think they've got a reasonable ranking.

The Michigan and Ohio State games are basically wrapped up today, so it's official for me: the 2006 NCAA Division I Football National Championship game is next week.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

South Carolina leads Florida as I write this. USC is probably the favorite but they've got some very tough games coming up. As one of the guys on ESPN said this morning, you might have a several BCS games with teams with a 2 in the L column.

Also, I think the biggest problem with the BCS and the no tournament deal is that we never have a Cinderella story. The great thing about every other sports tournament is that the underdog can win and to me that's what makes college sports so great and why NCAA football comes up a little short. Sure, Ohio State would beat Boise State and Rutgers 99 out of 100 times but I know I'd love to cheer one of the small guys on during that one time.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Because their schedule is pathetic. The only decent team they have beaten is Penn State. They were dominated by the only ranked opponent they faced -- #2 Michigan. They would have two losses if they hadn't missed Ohio State on the schedule this year.

Less than one week until the biggest Michigan - Ohio State game I've ever watched.

GO BLUE!

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Jeez, Florida is horrible. Their offense is absolutely pathetic. The blocked PAT saved their sorry asses today. Auburn sucked today, too. The SEC is either the greatest conference in NCAA history or the most overrated. It's very possible that every team in the league will have at least 2 losses by the end of the regular season.

Cal stunk up the joint, too. The PAC-10 is just as bad as the SEC.

They should just let the loser of the OSU-Michigan game play for the BCS title, everyone else be damned. But if Rutgers beats WVU, they'd have a legitimate claim. If that happens, I hope the BCS formula recognizes their achievement and puts them in.

Not holding my breath, though.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

Scott, I respect your comments on this forum, but this one leaves me at a loss. The Big East has three teams in the Top 15 in the country. The Big XII only has one. The ACC has none.

In my book, it's the Big XII and ACC who should not receive automatic bids. Both conferences are horrible this season. That's the only thing that matters: this season. Not last season, and not the past 10 seasons.

Unfortunately, at the start of each season, teams are unfairly ranked based on their past. Perennial powers often start ranked highly (Georgia, Florida State, Miami started in the AP top 15), while traditionally weaker teams are unranked.

Teams like Arkansas, Wisconsin and Rutgers are screwed before the season ever kicks off. Basically, if you were not good last season, you will start the following season ranked so low that you have no chance of making the title game.

Every season is different. What happened last season has nothing to do with how good a team will be this season. That is why making blanket statements like "...eliminating the Big East from an automatic bid..." is dangerous. That mentality unfairly punishes teams for prior seasons.

Talk about a fatal flaw in the system.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I don't think my KSU Wildcats can beat Texas tonight, but we've gotten better and better as the season has went on, which is typical with a true freshman QB. But I sure hope we give them a hell of a run for their money.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Let's face it folks.

The best solution to the BCS ratings debacle (and it appears we're heading for one this year) is to institute a three-game playoff (two semifinal games a few days before New Year's Day, the final game one week later) that involves the BCS #1 to #4 teams. That way, the interruptions to the college final exams will be minimal (something highly desired by college presidents). Essentially, we'll pick three of the five BCS bowl games for this playoff.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'm not familiar with the commentators working the Texas-KSU game, but one of them must either hate Texas or love KSU. It sounds like he's having an orgasm every time KSU scores.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert, while the Big East may have three top 15 teams, watching them play does not inspire confidence that they could hang with the major teams in the big conferences. The Big East lost its three biggest football schools when Miami, VT and BC left for the ACC. The conference is down to only eight teams, with only WV, Pitt and Syracuse having any history of winning at the major college level (and Syracuse/Pitt have struggled for several years). Rutgers is a nice cinderella story, but I do not think many people expect them to keep this up in future seasons. Heck, even Northwestern had a short run in the Big Ten a few years ago, but they will never be a football power.

I do agree with you that the ACC powers have been surprisingly weak this season, and I will add that even the Big Ten is down, except for OSU, UM and Wisconsin (and maybe PSU). The rest of the conference is absolutely horrible this season.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I realize Florida State is having an off season, but Wake Forest is really laying a smack-down on them.

It will be interesting to see how my Hokies stack up against WF next week.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
God this may not help my conference, but I have to love what this has got to be doing for recruiting for my wildcats to see them put a whipping and run an agressive offense/defense.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if my roommates will want to wager a bet on OSU-UM this weekend? I hope so, cause I like taking money from them! :)

Go Buckeyes!

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Texas goes down. BEAUTIFUL!!! Somewhere, George Kaplan is smiling.

GO USC and RUTGERS!!!

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Look for both Wake Forest and Rutgers to be ranked in the top 10. Imagine that?!! If Wake hadn't given a game away to Clemson, they'd be in the top 5.

For the Big East haters, do you believe Rutgers should not play for the title even if they go undefeated and all the "one-loss" teams become two-loss teams? Ever hear of Cinderella? C'mon, give 'em a chance.

If Rutgers does not lose, I would rather watch them play the OSU-Michigan winner than any other match-up. What a story that would be. Finally, "David vs. Goliath" in college football. The BCS has virtually killed Cinderalla...here's to hoping Rutgers can pull it off.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I think now that if USC wins out, they are definitely going to the BCS Championship game, especially given Florida's close call today. Mind you, USC would probably get killed by Ohio State (but may have a chance if they play Michigan).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks