My Sonosub -- Questions . . .

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Zachary, Jan 22, 2001.

1. John Zachary

John Zachary Extra

Finally, I kept trying to register to post to the forum, but it never would send me a password--then I read the instructions! [​IMG] Funny how that works sometimes.
    Anyway, I am in the process of building my first Sonosub (second subwoofer project--my first was a 3.5 cu. ft. sealed sub with a Madisound 1252DVC, which I say sounds pretty good, I just wanted MORE!) I used a 42" tall, 18" Sonotube (volume = 5.27 cu ft), tuned to 17.83 Hz (according to WinISD) with 3 - 31.21" long 3" diameter PVC ports, with double MDF endcaps (each with an additional layer of OSB, one so the T-nuts would have something to grab into, and the on on the top, well, just to have a litle extra something inside the tube). Oh yeah, and I'm using one 12" Shiva.
    Now, I have a few questions:
    1. Will an AudioSource AmpTwo run mono-bridged push my new sub good (Shiva run parallel)? It's supposed to be rated at 80 Watts Per Channel @ 8 Ohms, 200 WPC Bridged (8 Ohms), (so I figure about 230-280 WPC bridged at 4 Ohms??) And will the Shiva run parallel present an OK load for the amp? (It's supposed to be stable to 2 Ohms.)
    2. I plan on getting a Behringer FBD soon too . . . should I put it in my tape monitor loop, or just wire it between the sub-out and the subwoofer amp so it doesn't affect the mains at all?
    3. And before I put the Shiva in, should I put any kind of padding/stuffing/lining in the Sonosub? I know there are different theories out there on this, but I was just wondering if anyone could address this issue directly.
    I look forward to participating more on this board now that I finally registered. I'm also in the process of building a pair of mains, but more on them later. maybe I'll even get some pictures posted. [​IMG] Thanks guys.

2. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

For the stuffing, line it with some polyester or fiberglass. I can't say it definitely does anything, but it doesn't HARM it any, and you might as well since it is DIY [​IMG].

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>1. Will an AudioSource AmpTwo run mono-bridged push my new sub good (Shiva run parallel)? It's supposed to be rated at 80 Watts Per Channel @ 8 Ohms, 200 WPC Bridged (8 Ohms), (so I figure about 230-280 WPC bridged at 4 Ohms??) And will the Shiva run parallel present an OK load for the amp? (It's supposed to be stable to 2 Ohms.)>2. I plan on getting a Behringer FBD soon too . . . should I put it in my tape monitor loop, or just wire it between the sub-out and the subwoofer amp so it doesn't affect the mains at all?>3. And before I put the Shiva in, should I put any kind of padding/stuffing/lining in the Sonosub? I know there are different theories out there on this, but I was just wondering if anyone could address this issue directly.

4. John Zachary

John Zachary Extra

Followup question on the Behringer FBD:
    If I put it in between the sub-out and the sub-amp (which is a mono connection), what's the best way to run it? In order to use all 24 channels of the FBD, do I need to run in in the left channel, out the left channel, into the right channel, then out of the right channel to the sub-amp? Or will that hurt anything? Is there a better way? I'm SURE this has come up with you guys before.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I would stick to 12 levels/side. You really shouldn't need more than 12 levels. But if you think you need more than 12, sure, pipe in the sub preout to one channel and daisy-chain it to the other channel.
    ------------------
    PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; LDs