What's new

My Sonosub -- Questions . . . (1 Viewer)

Finally, I kept trying to register to post to the forum, but it never would send me a password--then I read the instructions! :) Funny how that works sometimes.
Anyway, I am in the process of building my first Sonosub (second subwoofer project--my first was a 3.5 cu. ft. sealed sub with a Madisound 1252DVC, which I say sounds pretty good, I just wanted MORE!) I used a 42" tall, 18" Sonotube (volume = 5.27 cu ft), tuned to 17.83 Hz (according to WinISD) with 3 - 31.21" long 3" diameter PVC ports, with double MDF endcaps (each with an additional layer of OSB, one so the T-nuts would have something to grab into, and the on on the top, well, just to have a litle extra something inside the tube). Oh yeah, and I'm using one 12" Shiva.
Now, I have a few questions:
1. Will an AudioSource AmpTwo run mono-bridged push my new sub good (Shiva run parallel)? It's supposed to be rated at 80 Watts Per Channel @ 8 Ohms, 200 WPC Bridged (8 Ohms), (so I figure about 230-280 WPC bridged at 4 Ohms??) And will the Shiva run parallel present an OK load for the amp? (It's supposed to be stable to 2 Ohms.)
2. I plan on getting a Behringer FBD soon too . . . should I put it in my tape monitor loop, or just wire it between the sub-out and the subwoofer amp so it doesn't affect the mains at all?
3. And before I put the Shiva in, should I put any kind of padding/stuffing/lining in the Sonosub? I know there are different theories out there on this, but I was just wondering if anyone could address this issue directly.
I look forward to participating more on this board now that I finally registered. I'm also in the process of building a pair of mains, but more on them later. maybe I'll even get some pictures posted. :) Thanks guys.

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
For the stuffing, line it with some polyester or fiberglass. I can't say it definitely does anything, but it doesn't HARM it any, and you might as well since it is DIY
wink.gif

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>1. Will an AudioSource AmpTwo run mono-bridged push my new sub good (Shiva run parallel)? It's supposed to be rated at 80 Watts Per Channel @ 8 Ohms, 200 WPC Bridged (8 Ohms), (so I figure about 230-280 WPC bridged at 4 Ohms??) And will the Shiva run parallel present an OK load for the amp? (It's supposed to be stable to 2 Ohms.)>2. I plan on getting a Behringer FBD soon too . . . should I put it in my tape monitor loop, or just wire it between the sub-out and the subwoofer amp so it doesn't affect the mains at all?>3. And before I put the Shiva in, should I put any kind of padding/stuffing/lining in the Sonosub? I know there are different theories out there on this, but I was just wondering if anyone could address this issue directly.

Followup question on the Behringer FBD:
If I put it in between the sub-out and the sub-amp (which is a mono connection), what's the best way to run it? In order to use all 24 channels of the FBD, do I need to run in in the left channel, out the left channel, into the right channel, then out of the right channel to the sub-amp? Or will that hurt anything? Is there a better way? I'm SURE this has come up with you guys before.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I would stick to 12 levels/side. You really shouldn't need more than 12 levels. But if you think you need more than 12, sure, pipe in the sub preout to one channel and daisy-chain it to the other channel.
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks