What's new

Question about a 15' X 13' HTR (1 Viewer)

G_Courtney_A_A

Auditioning
My room is 15'L X 13'W X 7.5'H

At first I was thinking of leaving my HTR open at the back, but I think I've now decided to close it in with double doors on the side to give it that open feel when I want it.

I think I want 7.1 surround. Does that make sense in a room this size? I really like the Yamaha HTR-5990 and I have my eye on some Adire kits that would provide 5 of the 7 speakers leaving me to timbre match the sides that would round out the 7.1.

I'm thinking of making my own sonosub out of a 15" or 18" Adire sub and plate amp.

I have no idea what projector yet.

I have a cheap LG DVD player right now but from what I read I should probably upgrade that as well.

I'm also planning on putting two rows of seating in the room with the back one elevated. Both will have Buttshakers in them.

Does anyone have some general advice for me?

chris_everett

Second Unit
That's about the size of my room. You can do 7.1, but the back surrounds won't do you a lot of good, because they will be right on top of your rear seats. Not a big deal, as most films don't use it anyway. Read the threads here for awhile before you start your project, and you'll be in good shape.

G_Courtney_A_A

Auditioning
I hear you but I'm planning on sitting in the first row so I should be in a good spot to hear those rears. ...or so I think.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Here is a 12 x 14 Basement Theater with a 6:1 speaker set up. I don't know if I ever heard the center rear of not. But like Chris said, not many movies use it anyway. If you want the 7:1, install it, it won't hurt anything.
What size screen and what seating are you planning? I could not do two rows of recliners with a 94" screen. The front row would have been way too close.
Dave

G_Courtney_A_A

Auditioning
In the first row my face should be 8.5' from the screen. In the second row my face should be 14.25' from the screen.

Based on my research, my screen should be between 5.5' and 7.7' wide. Isn't the ratio supposed to be 1.1 to 1.5:1 of face to screen distance TO screen width?

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I believe it is 1:5 to 2 times the with of the screen. Check out this Viewing Calculator. In the end it is a personal preference. When going out to a theater, do you sit up front, middle or back? Also depending on your resolution, you could see SDE (screen door effect) That occurs when you sit too close to any tv and you can see each pixel.

Dave

GregDas

Auditioning
Nice... My first post here and a similar question that I had myself just a few months ago!

Very similar situation here. My room is 12x20 basically but I'm really only using 16' of the 20'. I opted to leave the back open to give the room some additional "feel".

I am currently using the 5990 with fronts, sides and rear surrounds. The projector I have is the Sony VPL-HS51A and a 92" diag. screen (45" x 80" roughly). So, my first row is at 9'6" from the screen and second row is at the 15'6" mark. Of course you could tighten this up by not using recliners like I did. But I wanted the front row close enough for "WOW" factor, but back enough so as not to run into the "screendoor" effect. I guess the ratio I used was 1.4 x screen width...

This last weekend I picked up a cheap (inexpensive) LG DVD player and I think it will do nicely until I can step up. The look is better than my other DVD player and the DTS feature made watching concerts much more enjoyable in 7.1...

I hope this helps.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks