What's new

my new friend (1 Viewer)

JayV

Supporting Actor
If you want a dog to drop the ball.
1. Put your hand under her mouth and say GIVE (or DROP IT or something).

2. If she doesn't immediately give/drop, quickly offer her the treat in your other hand. When the ball drops out of her mouth, praise her. Do this a few times. Early on she got the treat (until I was sure she understood; it took maybe two 15-minute sessions). Then I switched to the "ignoring her" advice.

As an aside, few things are as effective as the "ignoring her" method when she is naughty or doesn't do something she should. But it works best when it's clear that she knows the correct behavior.

-j

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big fan of ignoring her little butt. Last night she was doing great until about 3am, when she decided it was play time. Nothing sucks worse than waking up to puppy teeth on your ears.

so I put her in her box, then she whined, so the box went to the garage, she probably still whined, but I slept great :D

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My codependent peoplepleaser Corgiterripoo, Margo, learns new tricks on her own if she gets a rise out of me.

When I got a new kitty last year, the cat would go behind the gear rack and play with the cables. After watching me shoo her away for a week or so, the dog started jumping off the couch whenever the cat got back there and chasing her away from the wires.

A while back we were playing "catch" in the living room when she accidentally hit the ball back at me with her nose, like it was volleyball. This got a real reaction from me so now half the time instead of bringing me the ball she just bats it back at me with her nose.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
When I got a new kitty last year, the cat would go behind the gear rack and play with the cables. After watching me shoo her away for a week or so, the dog started jumping off the couch whenever the cat got back there and chasing her away from the wires.
Every Home Theatre needs a Home Theatre Dog.

My aunt had the most wonderful dog I've ever met in my life, named Willhemina, but everyone called her Willie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks