What's new

My Little Margie - Complete First Season on DVD! (1 Viewer)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Always thought it interesting that the "My Little Margie" comic book (published by lowly Charlton) last all the way to 1964, outlasting the tv-series by almost a decade.

You weren't kidding. I looked this up on the internet and found this image of what might be the last issue where Margie meets The Beatles!
2761433.jpg

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Interesting that My Little Margie sparks so much interest and so many posts from us old -timers that it even inspired a passionate debate !
Me, I'm looking forward to buying the complete run and I hope those 5 early NBC episodes make the shape .
I'd prefer factory pressed discs , but sometimes you have to accept whatever you get if you want to enjoy a show . No one really knows how long DVD-R's will last . Heck , I'm 70 - they'll probably outlast me !!
I agree the show ( and all of the Roland Reed and Roach shows ) are dated , but that's a big part of their charm . Even things we all love like Laurel and Hardy look very dated these days. Let's face it , the 1950s and early 60's seems almost as distant as the stone age now . Would Margie and Freddie Wilson have even imagined DVDs?
So I'm looking forward to this release which I ordered from Amazon , and I'm hoping for the rest of the series

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
The VCI sets are just random episodes. No rhyme or reason to what they are, other than that was what they had access to. The company putting this out has a full run of the show, complete and uncut, and they are planning to release the entire series. Finally!. I would love for Network to put out the Gale Storm Show but they haven't shown much interest in the ITC shows that were produced for the American market. I just got in around 2/3 of the show from 16mm transfers so I'm not holding my breath waiting for a DVD release.
Hey Neil, a while back someone mentioned that they knew someone with the entire run of My Little Margie uncut on tape in good quality . I can' t remember if it was you. In any case, there's a chance those episodes wound up with Nostalgia Family .

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I remember seeing her regularly at autograph show conventions in the Los Angeles area during the 1990s. I never got (i.e. purchased) her autograph, though, since I was on a budget, and I wasn't even born when "My Little Margie" was on, but I was familiar with her, probably from "The Love Boat" or other guest-starring TV roles. She still had a sweet face.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I remember seeing her regularly at autograph show conventions in the Los Angeles area during the 1990s. I never got (i.e. purchased) her autograph, though, since I was on a budget, and I wasn't even born when "My Little Margie" was on, but I was familiar with her, probably from "The Love Boat" or other guest-starring TV roles. She still had a sweet face.

Yes, that's where I met her - I signed at those shows, starting at the Beverly Garland and then at the hotel across from the Burbank airport, so when things were slow we'd all go around and chat with each other. I got her book, which is very frank and good.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I loved the Beverly Garland shows, Bruce. Such a pretty hotel. They were so intimate, and I lived close by. Still do. Met a lot of my childhood idols. I remember back then when the celebs were charging $5 or $10, Now its $30!! I rarely go to the venue by LAX now.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I hate the people Ray Courts sold the show to, and have refused to do them every since. He never should have moved from the Garland - it was crowded occasionally, but the vibe there was wonderful and I loved doing the shows there and met so many lovely folks. And yes, it was cheap back then. I remember doing the show the first time Steve Reeves did it, and set the record for how much money anyone had made in one day. Thirty bucks is cheap today - some people charge fifty, seventy-five - it's just turned into something it was never meant to be. That all began when they started getting people like Val Kilmer - he made 150K in one day, but it was the end of innocence for those shows.

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
I have this ordered, and hope it arrives this week. NFV also released some individual volumes of "One Happy Family" (5 episodes of the short-lived 1962 sitcom), "The George Burns Show" (3 episodes of the post-Gracie season, circa 1958), and "The Everglades" (3 episodes). I received these latter three discs, and they all look surprisingly good. 16mm, but really, really nice 16mm sources.

I could not find NFV online at all as well as the DVD of One Happy Family. Can you or anyone shed some light? thanks

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I thought it was established that Nostalgia Family Video were bootleggers?
I really don't want to support them by purchasing this if that is the case.

Here is a link from this forum:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/nostalgia-family-video.347455/

I would have to believe that David Shepard would have known a bit more about pirates than I:
http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16398
I always thought that Nostalgia family , (and Nostalgia Merchant) were companies that deal in Public Domain releases .
Someone mentioned that with My Little Margie and other Roland Reed programs ownership is vague . Reed (and his only heir, his wife) are long deceased . Other RR shows include Waterfront, Rocky Jones Space Ranger, Beulah, and The Trouble with Father , all nostalgic fun shows from the early 1950s .

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I hate the people Ray Courts sold the show to, and have refused to do them every since. He never should have moved from the Garland - it was crowded occasionally, but the vibe there was wonderful and I loved doing the shows there and met so many lovely folks. And yes, it was cheap back then. I remember doing the show the first time Steve Reeves did it, and set the record for how much money anyone had made in one day. Thirty bucks is cheap today - some people charge fifty, seventy-five - it's just turned into something it was never meant to be. That all began when they started getting people like Val Kilmer - he made 150K in one day, but it was the end of innocence for those shows.

Yeah, I hear you. There's some total D-list celebs there nowadays, trying to get $50, $75 dollars even. I mean, I'm more famous than some of those people, and I was only ever an extra !

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I finally got to watch the first episode of My Little Margie on the Nostalgia family DVD. 16 MM transfer for sure , but it looks pretty good to my eyes and the episodes are complete . I really hope the entire series is released as I have no problem watching it in this quality . It will be nice to see the episodes as they originally aired .

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Hey Neil, a while back someone mentioned that they knew someone with the entire run of My Little Margie uncut on tape in good quality . I can' t remember if it was you. In any case, there's a chance those episodes wound up with Nostalgia Family .

Yes, that's what happened! :D

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I always thought that Nostalgia family , (and Nostalgia Merchant) were companies that deal in Public Domain releases .
Someone mentioned that with My Little Margie and other Roland Reed programs ownership is vague . Reed (and his only heir, his wife) are long deceased . Other RR shows include Waterfront, Rocky Jones Space Ranger, Beulah, and The Trouble with Father , all nostalgic fun shows from the early 1950s .

MLM falls into that in-between category. Technically not PD, although its been treated that way for decades. The category is "orphaned show". That's a show which is under copyright but there are no living people or heirs who are around to claim ownership. So, for all intents and purposes, those shows are PD. Another show in that category would be I Married Joan.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I received this set a few weeks ago. They are DVD-R (not pressed). 13 Episodes across 2 discs. Cheap packaging. The episode quality is surprisingly good. Each episode runs 26 minutes plus some change. The "RE-TV" logo appears at the end of each episode which implies these are from the same source that Decades Channel and RTV channel use, although those channels cut some footage for time. I would be thrilled to have the rest of the series released in this quality.

I second that. The episodes I've watched look great, and sign me up for Season Two. Hope they release other classic sitcoms in the future, even with that pesky RE-TV logo. God, maybe even "Bachelor Father".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks