1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

My Little Margie - Complete First Season on DVD!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Neil Brock, Feb 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I was wondering the same thing! And so I came here to post , when I saw yours .Like you and many others I hope the rest of the series is released.

2. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

It's complicated but there are elements on 1-inch, 3/4 and 16mm and merging needs to be done in order to present the episodes complete, uncut and in their original form. Just have to be patient.

Darby67 and Ron1973 like this.
  3. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    You're holding out hope for a show that went off network television 64 years ago? I sure hope you're right.

Tony Bensley and bmasters9 like this.
  4. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Why would you think that? Is it because this My Little Margie has not been as popular as I Love Lucy, for one?

5. howard1908

howard1908 Stunt Coordinator

howard hughes
    Based on the knowledge that you currently have, do you think that any of the subsequent seasons will be forthcoming sometime in the near future.

6. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

I believe that yes, all of the remaining seasons will be getting released and they will be complete and unaltered. Now, the Gale Storm Show is another matter. When Hal Roach Studios went bankrupt, the show was still on network television and ITC took it over for the last season. Unfortunately, the current owners of the ITC properties have shown little interest in doing anything with the series that they own which were produced for markets outside the UK.

Darby67 likes this.
  7. Joe Lugoff

Joe
    Well, I didn't want to repeat something I've said many times on this forum, but I will since you asked. :)

My Little Margie ended production in 1955, which is now 64 years ago. In 1955, "64 years ago" was 1891. That puts in perspective how old this thing really is, which implies that a small percentage of the population even knows what it is, and I'm sure that even among those who know what it is, a small percentage would be interested in DVDs of it.

But I've learned to trust Neil Brock, and if he says the remaining seasons will be out, I'm happy (but even more, shocked!)

8. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

There was no such thing as reruns in 1891. There was no such thing as movies or television or radio for that matter. I was a child in the 60s and watched MLM all of the time. In addition, the 80s cable boom resurrected many shows from the 50s like MLM, Love That Bob, Bachelor Father and dozens of others. About the only popular shows from the 50s which didn't see much life in the 80s were Our Miss Brooks, December Bride, Ozzie and Harrier, The Gale Storm Show and The Lineup. And all but the last 2 at least had some local station pickups.

Modern media has transformed the matter of older material still staying in the public eye. Oldies radio started in the 70s with music from the 50s and 60s and that continued pretty much until a few years ago when stations eliminated those decades from their playlists and started programming just from the 70s on up.

9. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I'd dearly love to see the entire series released because, to quote another well-known poster, that series had a "stylistic datedness" (likened to 40's B-movie stuff) which is quite endearing. Hope this actually happens!

Gary "anything that hearkens back to a simpler time is a plus" O.

LouA, Jeff Flugel, Ron1973 and 7 others like this.
  10. Purple Wig

Purple Wig Stunt Coordinator

Alan
    Unfortunate trend but happily there are a few recent exceptions. LA has a good AM oldies station relying mostly on the 60's, a decent amount of 50's, and a smattering of 70's. In recent travels I've also tuned in good AM stations in some other states. Seems the FM oldies stations are the most ruthless in eliminating the good stuff.

Jeff Flugel, Jack K and Flashgear like this.
  11. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    At least SiriusXM has a good 50s channel and a 60s channel (and 40s too). DIRECTV has their Malt Shop Oldies channel that covers most of the 50s and 60s.

Jeff Flugel, Purple Wig and Flashgear like this.
  12. Purple Wig

Alan
    Now if only there were a malt shop with a good jukebox where one might run into Gidget in the afternoon or Ozzie Nelson on a nocturnal ice cream run....

13. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    That served big helpings of Tutti-Frutti ice cream! Yum!!!

Gary "I'd frequent a malt shop like that, too" O.

14. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

I'm heading out there next week, what station is it?

In New York and Long Island, we have one decent station and its on AM, has a weak signal and has to go off the air at sundown. But its the only station in the tri-state area still playing anything from the 50s and 60s.

15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    At least you have an outlet for it-- I hope you don't lose it anytime soon!

16. Purple Wig

Alan
    AM 1260, K-SURF. It's relatively new, 2-3 years old. Tuned in for an hour last night and heard only 50's/60's songs.

I have reason to drive through the Imperial Valley/El Centro CA area once or twice a year and there are 2 interesting AM oldies stations out there, one that plays a lot of the lesser known hits (have heard the Music Machine & the Tornadoes played) and the other might come in from Mexico or a bordertown and mixes a lot of 50's/60's Spanish language rock & roll (Beatles/Stones covers etc) in.

17. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

RBailey likes this.
  18. Message #98 of 103 Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    I sure hope that My Little Margie Season Two and beyond are on the horizon. Oddly, I can't find much on the company that did Season One. The outer sleeve graphic is printed upside down on the other side and visible inside the case (?). There's no printed list of episodes. The discs are burned and on purple blanks. NO company name is to be found anywhere. Amazon says this is a product of "Reel Vault" I've seen more elaborate packaging in cheapo (or illegal) products. Still, the episodes look wonderful. Reel Vault does show an impressive roster over at Amazon. Maybe I'll check out the peplum stuff they offer. Still, 'tis a puzzlement!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  19. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I'm curious. Why do you feel this won't happen . They have masters and a company willing to release all four seasons. So shouldn't we hold out hope for it's release?

20. Joe Lugoff

Joe
    I just feel it won't sell enough to be profitable. But I have no idea how many they'd have to sell to make it a profitable undertaking. Does anyone know?

If it's much more than 100,000, for instance, I don't think they'll make a profit.

Now, it's clear I don't know what I'm talking about, but, hey, what difference does that make these days? I could be president!

MartinP. and LouA like this.