What's new

My Little Margie - Complete First Season on DVD! (1 Viewer)

Mark McFurbin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Buggles
Mark, what are you being so adamant about? I used to work in a video rental store up until 2002-3 and we had a dvd release of My Little Margie episodes for rental. I know, I watched some of it. Maybe that's what "Haines" is talking about...why be such a ___ about it?

I am so adamant because I know exactly what's out there on this show as I'm a big fan. The release you and Haines are probably referring to is probably one of the VCI volumes which Neil Brock already explained was just random episodes with no rhyme or reason. VCI has released 3 Collections over the years totaling 35 episode and not a single episode was from the first season.

The whole point of this board is for fans to talk about new releases of TV shows on DVD. I was excited to see that a company actually took the time to release this neglected show in such great quality. Then you come on here and make a snide comment basically like "who cares, it's already been out for years and I even have it" when it hasn't been out for years and you don't have it. You obviously don't follow this show at all and no idea what you are talking about. What was the point in your post?

The bottom line is it's cool to see that a company took the time and effort to release these in excellent quality and Neil Brock says they plan to release the whole series (I'm keeping my fingers crossed). This board is full of people who constantly complain how certain shows will never come out etc. then something does and you bi___?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I am so adamant because I know exactly what's out there on this show as I'm a big fan. The release you and Haines are probably referring to is probably one of the VCI volumes which Neil Brock already explained was just random episodes with no rhyme or reason. VCI has released 3 Collections over the years totaling 35 episode and not a single episode was from the first season.

The whole point of this board is for fans to talk about new releases of TV shows on DVD. I was excited to see that a company actually took the time to release this neglected show in such great quality. Then you come on here and make a snide comment basically like "who cares, it's already been out for years and I even have it" when it hasn't been out for years and you don't have it. You obviously don't follow this show at all and no idea what you are talking about. What was the point in your post?

The bottom line is it's cool to see that a company took the time and effort to release these in excellent quality and Neil Brock says they plan to release the whole series (I'm keeping my fingers crossed). This board is full of people who constantly complain how certain shows will never come out etc. then something does and you bi___?
Ya know, some of us are more casual collectors/fans of certain shows. I can guarantee you 95% of people wouldn't know one release from another. Being a fan of The Beverly Hillbillies, I can tell you what's legit, what's bootleg, and what's public domain episodes. The casual fan doesn't know that, and they're apt to just purchase something out of the dollar bin somewhere not knowing. As a somewhat expert fan of the show, I try to guide people gently with what's what. On my YouTube page, I've uploaded unedited episodes. Some people will come along and want to know what the big deal is since they see it on Me-TV. You GENTLY explain, without the attitude, what the difference is.

Tom.W

Second Unit
This might be what haineshisway has. Certainly better than an iOffer purchase. I'm looking forward to receiving season 1 from Nostalgia Family though. Maybe some other shows on Decades might be released. The Millionaire would be great but I know that's got a snowball's chance.

Attachments

• ImageMy Little Margie.jpg
    ImageMy Little Margie.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I was hoping I'd have my set by now. Very pleased to hear about the video quality. I've always liked the series. I know there's a certain stylistic datedness, but I've always enjoyed these series that came from the stable of Hal Roach and Roland Reed. "My Little Margie," "Racket Squad," "Waterfront," "Stu Erwin Show," "Passport to Danger," and such. Although they lack the vim and vigor of the Ziv shows (which offered so much great location work), there's still something that draws me to them. They sometimes seem more like miniaturized B-movies of that immediate pre-tv era. One of the harder ones to find is that early version of "Mark Saber" with Tom Conway. Wish more of those circulated.

Always thought it interesting that the "My Little Margie" comic book (published by lowly Charlton) last all the way to 1964, outlasting the tv-series by almost a decade. Gale Storm's later series, "Oh, Susanna" only managed to eek out a single one-shot comic in 1960. I have a number of issues of the "My Little Margie" comic, including an excellent copy of the first issue, which sort of duplicates the photo portrait scenario of the opening credits on its cover. The back covers would often feature publicity stills from the series, at least earlier in its run. There was even a spin-off title, "My Little Margie's Boyfriends." It seemed to feature the Freddy character and it eventually changed its title to "Freddy" altogether, although by that time it seemed to have become entirely divorced from the "Margie" world, morphing into a kind of Archie-type teen humor title. It lasted to 1965, a few months longer than the the "My Little Margie" title. I have a few issues. It's not exactly scintillating, to put it mildly.

I think Gertrude Hoffman, who played Mrs. Odetts, must have easily been regarded the most elderly player on television in those days before Burt Mustin started showing up everywhere. Hoffman already looked really old twenty years earlier, in that nifty RKO thriller, "Before Dawn" (1933), where I seem to recall she meets a grim fate at the hands of villain Warner Oland. Love that film.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Wait -- "My Little Margie" has a certain stylistic datedness?

No! How can that be?! It's only 66 years old! :rolleyes:

Now that I've got my sarcasm out of the way, I always like to point out something which allows me to keep things in perspective.

1952 is to 2018 as 1886 was to 1952.

I have a suspicion that the popular culture of 1886 might have seemed just a little stylistically dated to people in 1952.

My whole point is: It goes without saying.

Also, I watch old shows because they ARE stylistically dated! If I felt I had to live only in the "here and now," I'd lose what's left of my mind. We're living in exceptionally depressing times.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Wait -- "My Little Margie" has a certain stylistic datedness?

No! How can that be?! It's only 66 years old! :rolleyes:

Now that I've got my sarcasm out of the way, I always like to point out something which allows me to keep things in perspective.

No, what I was trying to express is that the Roach/Reed shows had their own 'film language' which was more akin to the feature B-films of the immediately preceding era. A distinctive style which is a bit different from the zestier Ziv, and a little more laid-back than Revue. Yet also more slick than the primitiveness of things like the Weiss Brothers' "Craig Kennedy," or indies in the "Front Page Detective" vein.

If you don't see it, well, okay. Doesn't bother me.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Oh, so you meant it was dated even in the early '50s, because it was more like the B-films of the '40s?

I misunderstood, and I do apologize for getting sarcastic.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

If you're referring to me, all I said was, "What's this thing I have." I didn't put down anything, so really, what are you going on about? I'm sure I have one of the VCI releases, that sounds right to me. I never said it was comprehensive or representative, I said I had it. I see people talking about this release and the past releases - so if the whole point of this board if for fans to talk about new releases it seems to be doing its function. Where this unseemly nastiness comes from is really odd to me. And you don't think the VCI was a legit release? I find that odd, too, since the show is in the public domain as far as I know. I'm happy you're a big fan of the show. I was a big fan of the show most likely long before you - I watched it from the early 1950s on as soon as it went into syndication. And didn't you forget to mention, as others have, that this isn't even a pressed DVD but a DVD-R?

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This board is full of people who constantly complain how certain shows will never come out etc. then something does and you bi___?

Somehow I get the feeling that they're desiring to be choosers as well as beggars-- not only wanting a specific series to come out on DVD, but also a certain way (I'm guilty of that too-- I've been wanting releases of Trapper John, M.D. from Shout! with the TCFTV logo of the time; it might come out sooner or later [or maybe never, with Disney's purchase of Fox], but might have the current 20th Television distribution logo like Shout!'s L.A. Law releases had on most of the episodes on those).

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
If you're referring to me, all I said was, "What's this thing I have." I didn't put down anything, so really, what are you going on about? I'm sure I have one of the VCI releases, that sounds right to me. I never said it was comprehensive or representative, I said I had it. I see people talking about this release and the past releases - so if the whole point of this board if for fans to talk about new releases it seems to be doing its function. Where this unseemly nastiness comes from is really odd to me.
You didn't say anything wrong. He's clearly overreacting.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mark McFurbin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Buggles
If you're referring to me, all I said was, "What's this thing I have." I didn't put down anything, so really, what are you going on about?

No you actually said you had it for over a decade in response to a thread titled "My Little Margie - Complete First Season on DVD!" so obviously you were referring to the first season which is not what you had. Nice backpedaling attempt though.

I was a big fan of the show most likely long before you

Now you are trying to argue abut who is the bigger fan of the show? Wow!

Mark McFurbin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Buggles
I was hoping I'd have my set by now. Very pleased to hear about the video quality. I've always liked the series. I know there's a certain stylistic datedness, but I've always enjoyed these series that came from the stable of Hal Roach and Roland Reed. "My Little Margie," "Racket Squad," "Waterfront," "Stu Erwin Show," "Passport to Danger," and such. Although they lack the vim and vigor of the Ziv shows (which offered so much great location work), there's still something that draws me to them. They sometimes seem more like miniaturized B-movies of that immediate pre-tv era. One of the harder ones to find is that early version of "Mark Saber" with Tom Conway. Wish more of those circulated.

Always thought it interesting that the "My Little Margie" comic book (published by lowly Charlton) last all the way to 1964, outlasting the tv-series by almost a decade. Gale Storm's later series, "Oh, Susanna" only managed to eek out a single one-shot comic in 1960. I have a number of issues of the "My Little Margie" comic, including an excellent copy of the first issue, which sort of duplicates the photo portrait scenario of the opening credits on its cover. The back covers would often feature publicity stills from the series, at least earlier in its run. There was even a spin-off title, "My Little Margie's Boyfriends." It seemed to feature the Freddy character and it eventually changed its title to "Freddy" altogether, although by that time it seemed to have become entirely divorced from the "Margie" world, morphing into a kind of Archie-type teen humor title. It lasted to 1965, a few months longer than the the "My Little Margie" title. I have a few issues. It's not exactly scintillating, to put it mildly.

I think Gertrude Hoffman, who played Mrs. Odetts, must have easily been regarded the most elderly player on television in those days before Burt Mustin started showing up everywhere. Hoffman already looked really old twenty years earlier, in that nifty RKO thriller, "Before Dawn" (1933), where I seem to recall she meets a grim fate at the hands of villain Warner Oland. Love that film.

Very interesting. I had no idea the the comic book went on for so long after the show ended.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Heck... I didn't even know there was a comic book. And I frequented the comic spin racks in those years!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
No you actually said you had it for over a decade in response to a thread titled "My Little Margie - Complete First Season on DVD!" so obviously you were referring to the first season which is not what you had. Nice backpedaling attempt though.

Now you are trying to argue abut who is the bigger fan of the show? Wow!

Listen, buckaroo, you'll want to stop right about now. I said exactly what I said - you have a problem with that, go deal with it instead of being antagonistic. Others have pointed out your behavior here, which is not serving you or this thread well.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Back to the actual subject here...:rolleyes:

Has anyone received a copy of this set yet? I'm curious about the quality in comparison to other releases. The complete dvd set of "Decoy" was surprisingly beautiful. But then I heard the set for "Mr & Mrs North" is not all that great. Was any restoration work done for this release of "My Little Margie" or is the picture quality soft and fuzzy?

Mark McFurbin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Buggles
Listen, buckaroo, you'll want to stop right about now. I said exactly what I said

You're right I'll stop now. We do know exactly what you said:

Um, what is this two-DVD set I've had for over a decade?

There's really nothing more to talk about. I'll finally admit I'm wrong and you are right, you must be a pretty cool guy owning something over a decade before it existed.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
Back to the actual subject here...:rolleyes:

Has anyone received a copy of this set yet? I'm curious about the quality in comparison to other releases. The complete dvd set of "Decoy" was surprisingly beautiful. But then I heard the set for "Mr & Mrs North" is not all that great. Was any restoration work done for this release of "My Little Margie" or is the picture quality soft and fuzzy?
Another question for anyone who has received the set. Are the sponsor tags and/or cast commercials included on any of the episodes?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
You're right I'll stop now. We do know exactly what you said:

There's really nothing more to talk about. I'll finally admit I'm wrong and you are right, you must be a pretty cool guy owning something over a decade before it existed.

You'll stop now? When? There's no wrong or right, chum, there's attitude and obnoxiousness. It's been pointed out by me and others. I asked what this set I have from over a decade ago was ("Um, what is this two-DVD set I've had for over a decade?"). Pretty simple question there, buckaroo, and I made it clear in subsequent posts that I didn't have it in front of me and that it was in a box. Everyone else but you got it. You came on strong, with attitude and took this simple conversation in a direction it didn't need to go. The End.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks