What's new

My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (2 Viewers)

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
PaulaJ said:
While I adore Deborah Kerr as Miss Anna...Maureen O'Hara, who had a lovely soprano singing voice, longed to play her in the film. But Richard Rodgers apparently objected to her casting because he thought she was only good for swashbucklers! What might have been....!

One of my favorite casting fantasies is "Hello Dolly!" with Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Tony Bensley said:
Amazon Canada finally has the pre-order up: http://www.amazon.ca/Fair-Lady-Blu-ray-Sous-titres-fran%C3%A7ais/dp/B00NN78PKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441981676&sr=8-1&keywords=my+fair+lady+50th

It's currently priced at $37.59, marked down from $50.45. That's in Canadian Funds, of course!

CHEERS! :)

Sadly it's listed as an import. I'm hoping it will get a release here otherwise it's anyone's guess when Amazon Canada will actually get copies in stock. I'll probably just order it from the US to be on the safe side.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Andrew Budgell said:
Sadly it's listed as an import. I'm hoping it will get a release here otherwise it's anyone's guess when Amazon Canada will actually get copies in stock. I'll probably just order it from the US to be on the safe side.
Hi Andrew!

I have pre-ordered from both Amazon Canada and U.S. for now.

Frankly, I don't see MY FAIR LADY's designation as an Import making too much difference, as I've also seen delays on Amazon Canada for supposed Non Import Media items. Nevertheless, delays in release on Amazon Canada are always a possibility.

What I'll be mainly watching for is how our rate of exchange and the variable pricing on both Amazon sites play out, before I decide which pre-order to yank!

Tony

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Is this any different to the 100% English friendly German release I just got for 7 euros? The cover is German , the disc is all English- tons of extras and the picture looks great with the packaging mentioning its been restored by Robert Harris.

Is this another restoration? So soon?

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
After all the delays on the 4K restoration, I am somewhat suspicious of this German release you mention. Harris worked on the new restoration, but also did one two decades ago. If this is a blu ray, examine the darker scenes, especially the Covent Garden scenes toward the end. Do the sides of the image seem lighter than the middle? Please post the cover and back of the disc.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
turtledove said:
Is this any different to the 100% English friendly German release I just got for 7 euros? The cover is German , the disc is all English- tons of extras and the picture looks great with the packaging mentioning its been restored by Robert Harris.
Is this another restoration? So soon?
If yours has professor Higgins on the cover then its the old 2011 version made from an inferior 35mm source

The NEW version from the 65 mm negatives looks dramatically better and is released in November in Germany , whereupon you'll be able to use the old disc to turn potting mix

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
willyTass said:
If yours has professor Higgins on the cover then its the old 2011 version made from an inferior 35mm source

The NEW version from the 65 mm negatives looks dramatically better and is released in November in Germany , whereupon you'll be able to use the old disc to turn potting mix

The potting mix was already used to decorate the sides of the element used for previous transfer.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Robert Harris is mentioned on the packaging of the German disc. I assumed his work was usually very good. If he gives it a thumbs up that's ok with me.

I've never seen this film in my whole life but the 7 euro package seemed too good to miss so I doubt I'll find any problems with the quality.

It's not released here in the UK at all on Bluray.

But when I get round to watching it I may enjoy it so much that I might buy it again , rather like I did with The Sound Of Music which I only watched for the first time in my mid 40's

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
turtledove said:
Robert Harris is mentioned on the packaging of the German disc. I assumed his work was usually very good. If he gives it a thumbs up that's ok with me.

I've never seen this film in my whole life but the 7 euro package seemed too good to miss so I doubt I'll find any problems with the quality.

It's not released here in the UK at all on Bluray.

But when I get round to watching it I may enjoy it so much that I might buy it again , rather like I did with The Sound Of Music which I only watched for the first time in my mid 40's
Mr. Harris has had very strong words about the 2011 release, despite the fact that his name was on the packaging.:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/309694-a-few-words-about™-my-fair-lady-in-blu-ray/?p=3756695

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Interestingly, I received an email alert from Amazon.com informing me that the new estimated delivery date for the MY FAIR LADY: 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION, is October 9, 2015, while it's page on Amazon.com still indicates an October 27, 2015 date of release!

????

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Amazon.com listing changed today, too.

The price zoomed back up from $27.99 to $35.99 and is now listed as "Usually ships within 2 to 3 weeks."

confused-smiley-013.gif

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
OK, I see that the Amazon.com page now states "Usually ships within 2 to 3 weeks," while Amazon.ca indicates "This title will be released on October 27, 2015."

It appears that I have a lot less time to make a decision than I had planned! :unsure:

The fact is, I'm a bit shy of funds this month, and had counted on waiting for a bit, though the wait as a whole, has been quite long enough!

Guess I'll just have to "Move my bloomin' arse!" ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks