What's new

My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Very excited about the screenings and it will be showing locally. Of course we remain at the mercy of the exhibitors. Hopefully they will do these showings in 4K and in decent sized auditoriums.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It's playing in 5 New Orleans area Theatres that do not play Fathom Events. I know where I will be October 18th.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
No Canadian screening dates scheduled which isn't a surprise as Cineplex's Classic Film Series is scheduled through the end of the year. I did reach out to them via Twitter and the chat box on the box their site. The person who assisted me in the chat box was very helpful and promised to pass along my suggestion. I definitely encourage other Canadian fans of My Fair Lady to reach out as well. The closest showing to me is two hours away in Buffalo and if it's playing on a decent size screen I'll probably consider going.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Looks like I'll be going into the city to see it.

It's in a lot of theaters in and around NYC and the CT shoreline, but my town is in the middle of a black hole this time.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
About a 45 minute drive for me. I've never been to the theater where it will be showing, but they advertise 7.1 sound, huge wall to wall curved screens and digital projection, but no mention of 4K. This should be presented and seen in 4K IMO.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
The Spectrum, Albany's resident arthouse theater, is one of the ones listed. As pumped as I am for the Blu-Ray, I might have to check that out. I don't know the next time I'll have a chance to see the movie on the big screen, certainly not with the Spectrum's level of quality control.

Wayne_j said:
Awesome!! I love the Spectrum.

I'd love to hook up with you guys there...but, unfortunately, I'm not thinking I'll be able to make it. But, maybe...

marknyc

Agent
Real Name
Mark Smith
Just found this thread, and I'm glad that people have enjoyed my attempts to restore Audrey's vocals. They do carry the important caveat that they were raw rehearsal recordings - she sounds better in the edited studio recordings that have been released on DVD. I also did a lot of futzing with both the audio and video to make them fit.

RAH - do you know if finished recordings of Audrey singing "I Could Have Danced All Night", "Without You" and "The Rain in Spain" exist? Have you heard them? If so, are they included on the Blu-ray?

Finally, a note to lionel59, who wrote this: "Kerr did nearly all of I WHISTLE A HAPPY TUNE herself." That's incorrect. Deborah did not sing a note in "The King and I".

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
it's not a fathom event so the larger theatre chains, such as AMC, Regal/United Artists, and Cinemark are prevented from showing it due to their contract with NCM/Fathom. That's why it is showing up at independent and small chains. Paramount appears to have done a pretty good job of covering the country though and I am sure they will continue to fill in the holes.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
marknyc said:
Just found this thread, and I'm glad that people have enjoyed my attempts to restore Audrey's vocals. They do carry the important caveat that they were raw rehearsal recordings - she sounds better in the edited studio recordings that have been released on DVD. I also did a lot of futzing with both the audio and video to make them fit.

RAH - do you know if finished recordings of Audrey singing "I Could Have Danced All Night", "Without You" and "The Rain in Spain" exist? Have you heard them? If so, are they included on the Blu-ray?

Finally, a note to lionel59, who wrote this: "Kerr did nearly all of I WHISTLE A HAPPY TUNE herself." That's incorrect. Deborah did not sing a note in "The King and I".
None of Ms Hepburn's audio was either complete or finalized. We created the two that have been previously issued from bits of rehearsal takes.

marknyc

Agent
Real Name
Mark Smith
Robert Harris said:
None of Ms Hepburn's audio was either complete or finalized. We created the two that have been previously issued from bits of rehearsal takes.

I see - I thought that since one or two lines of her voice were used in the beginning of "I Could Have Danced All Night" that there must have been a more complete take of at least that song. But you never found any?

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Merritt Island Square 16 (Cobb) Theaters , Merritt Island, Florida. October 18th and 20th, 2015.
Be there or be square.

Our neighbor Joan may be joining us. She was 20 when she watched it in theater back in 1965 or so. Should've fun.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I have received word back from the two local exhibitors showing MY FAIR LADY. Movieland on the Boulevard is showing it in 2K and Cinebistro is showing it in 4K. The choice is obvious.

And rather pleased to get such a quick response to my inquiries to the theater managers... kinda encouraging.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Watching the limited engagement trailer from the myfairlady50 website:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsTcZdNPRLQ&feature=youtu.be[/media]

...it's interesting that when they wipe from the previous version to the newly restored version, it looks like the matting opens up, particularly at the top of the frame. I wonder if that's just an artifact of the source they used for the "before" clips or if it was a genuine decision made during the restoration process.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Adam Lenhardt said:
Watching the limited engagement trailer from the myfairlady50 website:
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsTcZdNPRLQ&feature=youtu.be[/media]

...it's interesting that when they wipe from the previous version to the newly restored version, it looks like the matting opens up, particularly at the top of the frame. I wonder if that's just an artifact of the source they used for the "before" clips or if it was a genuine decision made during the restoration process.
It's because we are finally getting the full image of the 2.20:1 aspect ratio from the 65mm original negative. The former releases were from 35mm sources that cropped the image to 2.35:1.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Mr. Harris will have to confirm that as I could have this wrong, but I think when they did the photochemical restoration they worked from original 65mm elements which had a 2.35 ratio. Somewhere I remember reading that the 2.20 ratio in 70mm was the result of the magnetic striping for the soundtrack which cropped off the sides of the image, but the elements used in the restoration did not have the strips so more of the image was exposed. Certainly when shown in 35mm I would assume the aspect ratio was 2.35. Again, could be wrong here but Mr. Harris can certainly tell us.

Hope everyone is excited about seeing this on the big screen in October and the new blu ray. I sure am.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Jim*Tod said:
Mr. Harris will have to confirm that as I could have this wrong, but I think when they did the photochemical restoration they worked from original 65mm elements which had a 2.35 ratio. Somewhere I remember reading that the 2.20 ratio in 70mm was the result of the magnetic striping for the soundtrack which cropped off the sides of the image, but the elements used in the restoration did not have the strips so more of the image was exposed. Certainly when shown in 35mm I would assume the aspect ratio was 2.35. Again, could be wrong here but Mr. Harris can certainly tell us.

That certainly doesn't sound right to me. From what I know, 65mm film has an inherent aspect ratio of 2.20:1. Reduction printing down to 35mm crops the frame to 2.35.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks