What's new

My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
CMNash said:
I can clearly hear the snappiness of the snare drums in the main verses of the 'On the Street Where You Live' section. The xylophone rings out clearly and isn't overpowered by the brass. There just seems to be better balance between the strings and brass through out this remastered sound track.

PMF said:
I'll do you one better.

The sound was such, that I was able to discern exactly which brand of reeds were being used from within Previn's wind section.

Mike Boone said:
That's an amazing feat of perception!

But Philip,

since I lack the wide ranging knowledge of various musical instruments that you possess, I have to ask just one question.

Were you being perfectly serious, or merely just putting us all on?

This question concerning the "brand of reeds" is best addressed by two facts:

There is the HARRIS Oboe Reed; and there is the EASTMAN Bassoon Reed.

Coincidence? I think not. You can do the research, if you wish.

The rest, I'll let you decide for yourselves. ;)

- PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
For Goodness Sake.

Must I explain the humor, too?

Okay, here it goes.

The Harris and Eastman reeds are factual brand names; but there are endless brands on the market.

I simply plucked out both these brand names of Harris and Eastman as a tipping of the hat to RAH and a particular film-stock known as Eastman.

Get it? We're talkin' upon this thread on many a topic in and around "MFL" and film restoration.

Now, here is where I was very much in earnest.

The long-awaited unearthing of the "MFL" sound design - also restored and heard for the first time since the 1964 Roadshows -was such, that rather than hearing a straight-forward soundtrack of an orchestra, I was hearing a symphony.

I was hearing something anew.

For the very first time, I was hearing each of the musicians sections.

I was hearing the spatial distinctions and specificities of instruments;

And to my great excitement, I was able to discern the clarity of oboes and bassoons.

I sincerely doubt that even Andre Previn would be able to discern which brand of reeds were being used, while in the recording studio, itself.

My being able to detect the very brand of reeds being used was a tipping of the hat to Henry Higgens; who claimed that he could phonetically discern one's dialect right down to the very street block from which they hail.

My post took the liberties of poetic license in order to drive home a point; while simultaneously paying RAH my highest of compliments and admiration.

But for the record, I did attend The Boston Conservatory of Music;

but, by no means, consider myself an authority or Musicologist.

DISCLAIMER: No trees were harmed during the manufacturing of this reed (um, read).

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Dr Griffin said:
That's the Great White North!

As I have already erred on the side of ignorance, by using the wrong title for our neighbor to the north, allow me to risk being dense again, by asking: Is it still proper to refer to Canada as the Great White North, in summer, when the snows are nowhere in evidence? (am being just a little bit facetious.) In any event, I appreciate you providing me with the correct title, Dr Griffin, or I would have just continued to display ignorance every time I responded to a post from Tony Bensley.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mike Boone said:
As I have already erred on the side of ignorance, by using the wrong title for our neighbor to the north, allow me to risk being dense again, by asking: Is it still proper to refer to Canada as the Great White North, in summer, when the snows are nowhere in evidence? (am being just a little bit facetious.) In any event, I appreciate you providing me with the correct title, Dr Griffin, or I would have just continued to display ignorance every time I responded to a post from Tony Bensley.
Hi Mike!

No worries! 'Great North' or 'Great White North' both work for me! :)

Truth be told, there's probably snow somewhere in our vast country pretty much anytime of the year, though I suspect it's limited to the near arctic and extremely high elevations during our summer months!

"The snow in Canada falls mainly in.....Drat! No rhyme for that one!" ;)

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Mike!

No worries! 'Great North' or 'Great White North' both work for me! :)

Truth be told, there's probably snow somewhere in our vast country pretty much anytime of the year, though I suspect it's limited to the near arctic and extremely high elevations during our summer months!

"The snow in Canada falls mainly in.....Drat! No rhyme for that one!" ;)

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Thank you, and CHEERS :) TO YOU, my friend. Take care, up there in The Great White North, while you are thinking of a good rhyme. (that one seems like a difficult case)

Mike

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Marvin said:
It might almost be worth it - to me - if I were interested in streaming videos (I have enough trouble getting time to watch the DVDs I already own) or Kindle books (ditto for books) and if getting MFL last week instead of this week (after having already waited 13 months for it) was a critical issue.

I guess we all have our own priorities.

I was merely pointing out that you're paying $99 for more than just "free shipping."

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Dr Griffin said:

That's the Great White North!

And let's not forget about "The Great White Hope", which was first seen as a play on The Great White Way.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
And speaking of The Great White Way

(and what this thread is truly about)...

"My Fair Lady" opened on Broadway on March 15, 1956 - running for 2,717 performances - and closed on September 29, 1962

"My Fair Lady" was nominated for 10 Tony Awards; and winner of 6:

Best Musical: Alan Jay Lerner and Herman Levin

Best Direction of a Musical: Moss Hart

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical: Rex Harrison

Best Scenic Design: Oliver Smith

Best Costume Design: Cecil Beaton

Best Conductor and Musical Director: Franz Allers

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Who Lost/Who Won?

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical:

Julie Andrews ("My Fair Lady") - Nomination

Judy Holliday ("Bells are Ringing") - Winner

Ethel Merman ("Happy Hunting") - Nomination

Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical:

Sydney Chaplin ("Bells are Ringing") - Winner

Robert Coote ("My Fair Lady") - Nomination

Stanley Holloway ("My Fair Lady") - Nomination

Best Choreography:

Bob Fosse and Jerome Robbins ("Bells are Ringing") - Nomination

Hanya Holm ("My Fair Lady") - Nomination

Michael Kidd - (Li'l Abner") - Winner

Dania Krupska ("The Most Happy Fella") - Nomination

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
PMF said:
And speaking of The Great White Way

(and what this thread is truly about)...

"My Fair Lady" opened on Broadway on March 15, 1956 - running for 2,717 performances - and closed on September 29, 1962

"My Fair Lady" was nominated for 10 Tony Awards; and won 6:

Best Musical: Alan Jay Lerner and Herman Levin

Herman Levin? I could have sworn some guy called Frederick Loewe was involved. :)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Robin9 said:
Herman Levin? I could have sworn some guy called Frederick Loewe was involved. :)

The Tony Award for Best Musical goes to its Producer(s)

Believe it or not, there was no category that year for Best Original Score.

After numerous changes, that category truly began in 1962.

In 1974, Frederick Loewe and Alan Jay Lerner received their collaborative Tony's for "Gigi".

BTW, Herman Levin also won the Tony Award for Producing 1969's "The Great White Hope".

Like the Harris and Eastman Reeds, is this another coincidence? Again, I think not.

I have brought us all full circle, again. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks