What's new

My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
It seems that the release date of the German Blu-ray of MFL is postponed (was due for next week, it's now 12/31 2015 which is probably a placeholder). :(

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
BarryR said:
Only quibble is that Cagney was not considered for Pickering, but for Eliza's father.
The thought of a James Cagney "Get Me To The Church On Time" is something to conjure with, isn't it? Stanley Holloway is perfect, though.

Reactions: PMF

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
According to information in one of mt handy Book Of Lists trivia books, James Cagney was offered 1 million dollars to play Alfred P. Doolittle, which he of course, turned down. I believe it was because he felt he was no longer up to performing that marvelous verbal repartee which made him so great!

MY FAIR LADY should be arriving in our mailbox later today, according to my Amazon and Canada Post tracking! :)

CHEERS! :)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
$36 might seem high but I paid $40 ($38 for tickets and $2 for parking) for my wife and I to see The Line at the Hollywood Chinese Imax theatre, and that was a matinee!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
RolandL said:
$36 might seem high but I paid $40 ($38 for tickets and $2 for parking) for my wife and I to see The Line at the Hollywood Chinese Imax theatre, and that was a matinee!

That probably explains why I have only been to the commercial theater three times since 1994. I much prefer watching in my own little theater at home.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
RolandL said:

$2? That's a bargain! :)

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
If this has already been mentioned forgive me.... But is that screen test with Ben Wright and John Williams as Higgins and Pickering simply a camera test for the set? Williams would have been a great Pickering (not better than Hyde-White, but still excellent), and I'm sure Wright would have been a terrific Higgins... but I can't believe he was seriously considered for the role, given that he had virtually no name recognition (though like most great character actors he had an immediately recognizable face). It's fun to speculate Wright as Higgins in '64 only to show up the following year as Herr Zeller in THE SOUND OF MUSIC... :)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
WilliamMcK said:
If this has already been mentioned forgive me.... But is that screen test with Ben Wright and John Williams as Higgins and Pickering simply a camera test for the set? Williams would have been a great Pickering (not better than Hyde-White, but still excellent), and I'm sure Wright would have been a terrific Higgins... but I can't believe he was seriously considered for the role, given that he had virtually no name recognition (though like most great character actors he had an immediately recognizable face). It's fun to speculate Wright as Higgins in '64 only to show up the following year as Herr Zeller in THE SOUND OF MUSIC... :)
I was wondering the same thing about John Williams as Pickering. As a favorite of Hitchcock's and a familiar face on television, he would have been more of a name, in America anyway, than Wilfred Hyde-White. Ben Wright would never have been considered for Higgins, of course, but was part of the MY FAIR LADY company as one of the announcers at the Embassy Ball.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I loved seeing that test. I agree that Ben Wright was probably just available and Harrison was unavailable or (unwilling) to participate in screen tests.

Williams is a great actor and always an asset. I think they decided to go for someone more overtly comical, rather than amusingly charming, and Hyde-White was more in that vein. Particularly after seeing the movie with an audience in a theater, and having heard him get every laugh possible out of the material, I think they wanted "harder" comedy out of the role. Williams would likely have seemed bemused when Hyde-White seemed befuddled, if that makes any sense.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
While John Williams would have been fine, Wilfred Hyde-White is perfect in the role. He can have you laughing at the most innocuous line.

"You heard what he said... brown, brown, brown."

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
I actually saw the original (well... musical original) Pickering, Robert Coote... who made something of a career out of the part on stage... he played it in 3 of the 4 Broadway productions (1956, 1976 and 1981)... and would have no doubt played it in the 4th except for the fact that he was no longer alive... :eek:

But honestly, Wilfred Hyde-White was absolute perfection in the role!

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I was familiar with Wilfred Hyde-White from his appearances in British comedies.

He was superb in the role of Pickering, could not do better!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Stephen_J_H said:
I have lost all faith in B & Ms to provide me with classic movies. Just ordered this and Spartacus from amazon.ca with Prime 3 day free shipping.

Hi Stephen!

Our local Best Buy couldn't even order MFL50 for me, as its online status displayed as 'sold out' from their end. Otherwise, I was planning to pick it up tomorrow had they been able to get it in.

It only became clear later that they were experiencing some technical difficulties with their online ordering, so that may have been a factor?

As it stands, I've already received it today with the two days free shipping (That actually only took one day--Not that unusual, even without Amazon Prime!) my 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime afforded!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Adam Lenhardt said:
Kind of pissed that after over 400 days on preorder, my order is still "preparing for shipment" a day after the release date. I understand that they prioritize Prime and full price shipping orders over super saver shipping, but with that much time to prepare I feel like they could have gotten it out the door on release.

Same here. They're punishing us non-Prime members who refuse to pay $99 for "free" shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks