What's new

Pre-Order It Started In Naples (1960) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
327081_front.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Ms. Loren is at her most playful in this film, very funny and charming. And while the King was getting on at this juncture, he still had plenty of star power (who else could explain the preparation and eating of a hamburger with such "assurance"). I remember seeing this movie in the theater when I was a kid, with my parents, and then years later on television. It's cute and colorful, with both Sophia in her prime and the location photography providing a feast for the eyes.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
Looking forward to having this great VistaVision title on disc. Paramount have upped their game recently and hopefully Houseboat/Teacher's Pet are in the pipeline (and some never released VV titles).
Why can Paramount not resecure the rights for a proper LOVING YOU release? Shocking dvd is not even 16.9

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Let's just agree to disagree.

Gable in this movie is a wan ghost flower of his former self. The script fails him at every turn. He's a figure of fun, but without the youthful vigor necessary to carry it off.

Loren is an Italian caricature in this one - bawdy, gaudy and gouch.

VistaVision certainly benefits the locales and Paramount has put its best foot forward where the 1080p transfer is concerned. I just had wished for a better movie. Not loving this one. Regrets.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yes, I disagree with Nick regarding this movie.
I’ll agree with Nick. The screenplay is all over the place, and isn’t helped by direction.

Anyone seeking a truly great performance by Mr. Gable (unfortunately his last) need look no further than The Misfits, released the following year.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ll agree with Nick. The screenplay is all over the place, and isn’t helped by direction.

Anyone seeking a truly great performance by Mr. Gable (unfortunately his last) need look no further than The Misfits, released the following year.
I enjoy watching this film! I never thought it was Oscar material and it’s not on the level of The Misfits with its excellent cast, writing and direction.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I enjoy watching this film! I never thought it was Oscar material and it’s not on the level of The Misfits with its excellent cast, writing and direction.
Less than decent fluff. If I were to compare it to something recent, it would be Ticket to Paradise. Pretty locations. Wasted cast.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
It's Sophia's movie, and an agreeable Gable knows it and plays along. She's having a ball doing this kind of silly, adorable rom-com material, and her unique brand of free-wheeling fun, sexy yet childlike, was easily transmitted to the viewing audience. At least that's the way it was back in 1960 Brooklyn, when my parents took me to see the movie. Different strokes, folks...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I do not think this is a great movie but that didn't prevent me from enjoying it anyway, mostly because of the locations and the two leads. And now the Blu-ray will finally enable me to appreciate the third star of the movie which is VistaVision!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I do not think this is a great movie but that didn't prevent me from enjoying it anyway, mostly because of the locations and the two leads. And now the Blu-ray will finally enable me to appreciate the third star of the movie which is VistaVision!
I’ll give VVLA the lead. Mr. Gable appeared in three films in the format. Awaiting a copy to see if the format helps the film.

Of all large formats, VVLA (and TLA) were the most easily useable, with superb results on screen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks