1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    An FYI to my fellow Canucks:

On Amazon Canada there are 2 separate listings for MY FAIR LADY: THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION!

- One is listed as an "Import" and bears a $43.87 price listing. The seller is listed as importcds__. Frankly, this surprises me, as I've scored many great deals from them over the past few years, and find their very high price point for MFL50 a bit perplexing!

- The other is listed at $31.96, and is Amazon Canada direct!

Just spreading awareness of the significant price differential between the 2 MFL50 Amazon Canada website listings!

CHEERS! :)

2. Mike Boone

Mike Boone Supporting Actor

Michael
    Jack, thanks to your post, I am in your debt, for you having inspired me to go the Barnes & Noble route to acquire the new My Fair Lady BD. A year ago I'd pre-ordered MFL through Amazon, but for reasons too complicated and convoluted for me to even fully recall, I cancelled that pre-order around 6 or 8 weeks ago. (My reasoning process wasn't the sharpest, as I was still drinking back then.)

Anyhow, I'm one of the B & N cardholders you mentioned as having received discount coupons in the mail. (coupons that were not earmarked for MFL, but for any products B & N sells)

Since I only go to our closest Barnes & Noble about every couple of months, had not even stopped to think about the store possibly getting the 50th Anniversary MFL. But at 4:00 Monday afternoon, the day before MFL's official release date, inspired by your post, I called Barnes & Noble thinking there was little chance that I could still score a copy of My Fair Lady at that late date. The man in the music/movie department knew nothing about MFL's impending release, but left the phone to check. A couple minutes later, he returned to the phone saying that the store would have just one copy to sell, and he'd put a hold on it for me til the 30th, if I wanted it.

Well, I picked up the disc set on the morning of the 27th, and I thought it was really something that you were precisely right, Jack, in saying that Barnes & Noble stores would likely receive just one copy each of the new MFL BD set. BTW, the Barnes & Noble price was $42.99 before discounting

was applied.

Obviously that policy of a store initially ordering just 1 copy of MFL is an indicator of the very limited market for older films, even ones that are landmark classics.

I had a strange experience with the 2015 Spartacus Restoration BD that also seems to confirm just how little demand there is for older catalog films. In a post on the Spartacus thread I already mentioned accidentally discovering that our local BJ's Wholesale Club had 5 copies of that BD on its release date of Oct 6th, which was when my wife and I happened to shop there. I bought a copy which then left the little DVD/Blu-ray section at BJ's with 4 copies remaining. This past Sunday (the 25th) we were shopping at BJ's again, and when I wandered over to the movie section, there in plain sight, was the 2015 Spartacus, just where I'd first seen it. I was shocked to find that there were still 4 copies of the BD, all marked with the regular BJ's price of $12.99, and serving as an indicator that not even one more copy of the Spartacus BD had been sold in the 19 days since I'd purchased mine.

Our BJ's Wholesale Club is the only one of that company's stores serving a county of more than a half million people. So I'm both somewhat shocked, as well as bummed out, that in such a size market, not even one BJ's member, apparently, was enough in sync with the classic film situation to appreciate the opportunity to grab this terrific restored film at a good price.

Must say, I was awfully tempted last Sunday to grab the PA microphone at BJ's in order to inform shoppers of what a chance at film Nirvana, Blu-ray disc player owners would be passing up, by failing to make a stop in the movie section. Oh well, that's the sort of thing I no longer dare to do now that I'm walking around in a non-altered state of mind and mood. Films just have to be the mood altering vehicle now. Well, not a bad method, that.

RMajidi likes this.
  3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I was able to secure a copy this morning from Target for $18.99 after using a $5.00 Gift Card and their normal 5% off. There were still five copies left on this Friday morning.

4. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    DVD Beaver should add this unrestored "My Fair Lady" to their screen cap comparisons. Robert A. Harris is a genius.

5. Mike Boone

Michael
    David, my thanks to you, and especially to Colin, for helping me have a great bunch of laughs on a very tense Friday evening here. I'm glad that we can take a short break from our shared, and justified, reverence for the Hepburn/Harrison version of My Fair Lady, in order to take a brief journey into the absurd, with this newer, if not quite improved, version of that classic.

6. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Zxpndk
    I still haven't seen it in stores in my area (central PA), but I'm spreading out this weekend, and will continue to search other stores.

I went to the Cinemark Theaters yesterday that will be showing MFL a few times beginning Sunday, and was impressed by the screen sizes, which are very close to IMAX size in all the theaters. I was slightly irked by their lack of masking though, which was really the only strike against them, because they seem to be doing everything else right. It may now be considered nitpicking, but they do everything else so well that the lack of masking really stood out as a shame.

7. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    On that note, I'm just trying to remember whether the folks at SCTV ever did a THEM! parody, or something in that vein? ;)

8. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Zxpndk
    ZONTAR! zontar.

9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Not improved??? Pirini Scleroso is 100X better as Eliza. At least she does her own singing! :lol:

10. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    And Pirini is easier to understand than poor Eliza when Professor Higgins makes Eliza talk with a mouth full of pebbles! ;)

11. Mike Boone

Michael
    In addition to your point, at least for the visually impaired, Pirini might be more of a treat to look at, than that plain Jane, Audrey Hepburn.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  12. Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington Supporting Actor

13. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Very well done. I'm out of town due to a family matter and the prize is waiting for my return sometime next week (along with Them!). I can't wait to see the Lady. The comparisons just allowed me to understand the wait will well worth it.

Will Krupp likes this.
  14. cannon1

cannon1 Agent

Michael
    Mine is coming from ImportCD.com on preorder...supposedly shipped a week ago. Then I see it left a 'partner warehouse' in Hebron, KY. I see Amazon interestingly has a big shipping warehouse in Hebron, KY (a town of some 6K population)....and I have another coming from an ebay seller called, 'Blow it Outa Here', that ships from Hebron also....and they all charge CA state tax..mmm..sounding like they are Amazon or closely affiliated...downside is they use DHL Post....a service in my experience akin to Pack mule for speed out of 'Hebron'. I tried requesting them to not ship using the Molasses slow DHL, but Media mail instead(quick by comparison), but they said Hebron, KY is rurally located and 'unavailable' for their needs....whatever. Damn, looking forward to this restoration....

15. Mike Boone

Michael
    That's an amazing feat of perception! But Philip, since I lack the wide ranging knowledge of various musical instruments that you possess, I have to ask just one

question. Were you being perfectly serious, or merely just putting us all on?

CMNash likes this.
  16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

My copy is currently somewhere between Martinsburg, West Virginia and the New York State Line. If experience is any guide, likely by way of Springfield, Massachusetts.

17. CMNash

CMNash Stunt Coordinator

Carlos M Nash
    Now that we have a beautifully restored MFL, I wonder if we can somehow get Fox or MGM (whoever owns the property) to fix West Side Story.

PMF and Mike Boone like this.
  18. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    Just as a note, you're not only getting free 2 day shipping, you're also getting $3.00 overnight shipping, free Prime Instant Streaming Videos, free Kindle lending library reads and, apparently, prioritization all for $8.25 a month! :D

cannon1 likes this.
  19. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    It might almost be worth it - to me - if I were interested in streaming videos (I have enough trouble getting time to watch the DVDs I already own) or Kindle books (ditto for books) and if getting MFL last week instead of this week (after having already waited 13 months for it) was a critical issue.

I guess we all have our own priorities.

In any case, mine finally shipped. I'm really going to miss seeing MFL at the bottom of my "open orders" page.

20. Mike Boone

Michael
    Yes, it would certainly be preferable to have Pirini reading addresses from the phone book for me, to even someone with the vocal precision of an Audrey Hepburn, doing so with a mouth full of pebbles.

Cheers to our fellow member in the Great North! ;) :) ;) :)

Tony Bensley likes this.