What's new

My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Jeremy Brett was dubbed, too. I didn't even know that until he admitted it on the 1994 documentary. For years I had no idea that Bill Shirley, the singing voice of Freddy Eynsford-Hill was also the voice of Prince Philip in Sleeping Beauty. That's a pretty close match, IMO.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Bill Shirley died in 1989 at the age of 68. He also appeared in movies such as ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KIDD and portrayed Stephen Foster in I DREAM OF JEANIE (1952),the second biopic of this composer.

I have a comprehensive list of movie dubbers. Here is a link to it:

http://www.janettedavis.net/Dubbers/dubberslist.php

I admire the work of Marni Nixon. I believe the merging of her voice with that of Deborah Kerr in THE KING AND I is one of the best cases of a voice double being perfectly matched to the voice of the actress needing assistance. (Most of the numbers seamlessly go from Kerr to Nixon and back again. Kerr did nearly all of I WHISTLE A HAPPY TUNE herself. Richard Rodgers wrote the songs for Anna in a limited vocal range as Gertrude Lawrence, the charismatic star who originated the role on Broadway, had a limited range and was known to sing flat at times. Julie Andrews portrayed Miss Lawrence in the movie STAR! and-in truth- had a much better voice than 'Gertie', who was nonetheless reportedly a wondrous performer on stage.).

If R+H had not been averse to Maureen O'Hara in the role, she was Zanuck's first choice and had a great voice which was under-utilized on screen. (She did do a Broadway musical in the early '60's). When the idea was put forward, Rodgers reportedly said "we can't have a pirate queen as Anna", forgetting the fine dramatic work she had done in films such as HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY. I think Kerr was ideal casting (and apparently suggested by Yul Brynner who had seen FROM HERE TO ETERNITY), but I think O'Hara would have been equally as good in the role.

If you look at this list you will see that some stars had different people singing for them throughout their careers. I personally think Jo Ann Greer's voice was ideal for both Esther Williams (JUPITER'S DARLING) and Rita Hayworth (PAL JOEY) and better suited to both actresses than earlier singers employed to dub them. If you hear Audrey sing, she has a lower tone in her voice that I don't think Miss Nixon matches. Compare the vocal change in 'Just You Wait' when we go from Audrey to Marni to the same (smoother) transition from Deborah Kerr to Marni in 'Getting To Know You' or 'Hello Young Lovers'. Marni Nixon- who I wrote to her a few years ago to extend my sympathy to her regarding the passing of her son- has a lovely voice and sings well. I have not seen her on stage (she has done MY FAIR LADY) but I think her performance in THE SOUND OF MUSIC does reveal her limitations as an actress (at that time, anyway). To my ears, a singer such as Betty Wand (who also dubbed Rita Moreno magnificently in WEST SIDE STORY- just listen to her singing side by side with Marni in A BOY LIKE THAT and I HAVE A LOVE) is a better actress and has/had a voice which-to my ears- sounded closer to the timbre of Audrey's.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Can Robert or anyone shine a light on the release date? Will it be 2015 or truthfully next year? Surely we could have an indication. Thanks

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
MatthewA said:
For what it's worth, for years my mother believed Audrey actually was English! She believed that about Christopher Plummer as well.
She was. She was a British subject, born in Belgium, spending many of her formative years in England, but also the Netherlands and Belgium. Her early career included stints as chorus girl in London.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Whenever I see this gorgeous clip, and all I can think of is how ill-judged Richard Rodgers was in turning down Maureen O'Hara for "The King and I". Shame on Hollywood for never showcasing her musical gifts! In her autobiography you can sense that she is still bitterly-disappointed about not landing Mrs Anna.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
classicmovieguy said:
Whenever I see this gorgeous clip, and all I can think of is how ill-judged Richard Rodgers was in turning down Maureen O'Hara for "The King and I". Shame on Hollywood for never showcasing her musical gifts! In her autobiography you can sense that she is still bitterly-disappointed about not landing Mrs Anna.

Well, there was the one song she sang in The Parent Trap.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
In 1960, Miss O'Hara starred in the Broadway musical Christine, which only ran for 12 performances. There is a cd of the OCA that was released around 2002 from Deca. She also recorded two albums, Love Letters from Maureen O'Hara and Maureen O'Hara Sings her Favorite Irish Songs. CDs were never produced unfortunately.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
ahollis said:
In 1960, Miss O'Hara starred in the Broadway musical Christine, which only ran for 12 performances. There is a cd of the OCA that was released around 2002 from Deca. She also recorded two albums, Love Letters from Maureen O'Hara and Maureen O'Hara Sings her Favorite Irish Songs. CDs were never produced unfortunately.
Actually both of her albums are available on CD. I have "Love Letters", and while O'Hara isn't too favourable on it in her book, it's quite lovely. DRG released the Broadway cast of "Christine" and it's beautifully remastered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maureen-OHara-Sings-Favourite-Irish/dp/B004Q1DFMY/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1421885505&sr=1-1&keywords=maureen+o%27hara

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Letters-Maureen-O%C2%92Hara-Yvonne-Carlo/dp/B001CYZ99A/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1421885505&sr=1-3&keywords=maureen+o%27hara

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
classicmovieguy said:
Actually both of her albums are available on CD. I have "Love Letters", and while O'Hara isn't too favourable on it in her book, it's quite lovely. DRG released the Broadway cast of "Christine" and it's beautifully remastered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maureen-OHara-Sings-Favourite-Irish/dp/B004Q1DFMY/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1421885505&sr=1-1&keywords=maureen+o%27hara
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Letters-Maureen-O%C2%92Hara-Yvonne-Carlo/dp/B001CYZ99A/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1421885505&sr=1-3&keywords=maureen+o%27hara
Excellent. Thanks. I rarely look for music on the foreign sites.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Looks like we're going to get THE SOUND OF MUSIC 50th anniversary bluray deluxe edition before we get the MY FAIR LADY 50th bluray which was made a year before THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
warnerbro said:
Looks like we're going to get THE SOUND OF MUSIC 50th anniversary bluray deluxe edition before we get the MY FAIR LADY 50th bluray which was made a year before THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

I'm convinced only that there will be a 50th Anniversary SOUND. I'll believe LADY when I see it.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
warnerbro said:
It does look that way, doesn't it? But I like the idea that the old mistakes will be rectified, and the end product will be both great and as great as it can be, rather than getting a half-hearted new edition every five years. I want a "My Fair Lady" Blu-Ray that is so great that it will make me sad that my late mother never got to see it, that's what I want, and I have every confidence in the people who are making me wait for it.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
People speculating on this thread about when we'll actually HAVE "My Fair Lady" 50th Anniversary Edition in our hands are forgetting that the man actually in charge of this restoration project is a PROMINENT MEMBER who posts regularly and has a blog page here...when he actually has news of substance for us, WE'LL KNOW!!! :P

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
lukejosephchung said:
People speculating on this thread about when we'll actually HAVE "My Fair Lady" 50th Anniversary Edition in our hands are forgetting that the man actually in charge of this restoration project is a PROMINENT MEMBER who posts regularly and has a blog page here...when he actually has news of substance for us, WE'LL KNOW!!! :P
Well, I for one am really happy to wait .. even if I have to wait for another TWO WEEKS even!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks