What's new

My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (2 Viewers)

NeverReady

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
Just noticed that Overstock.com has My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) available at $34.14 plus shipping. Nothing said about not being released yet or a preorder. I didn't finish the order, but my order at Amazon.com is still stating no ship/release date yet.

I emailed Overstock asking if this is really available. Only answer is they will get back with me.

P.S. This was Feb. 27th, 2015 at 11:58 AM EST that I saw this on their website.

P.P.S. Hope someone else can confirm this.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Mr Harris is the ultimate restoration expert, but it's even beyond the scope of his powers to restore the hair I've pulled out with each additional delay in the reemergence of our Lady. Or as my wife might say: "The longer this My Fair Lady disc takes to arrive, the more that Mike looks like My Ugly Husband."

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
"A patient man am I.

Down to my fingertips.

The sort who never could,

Ever would,

Let an insulting remark

Escape his lips...

A very gentle man

But..."

enough is enough. I keep hearing how great this release is going to be. The first time the preorder came up was in September..almost 6 months ago. Mr. Harris, who I have great respect for, keeps tantalizing us with how fine this release will be. Mr. Harris, didn't your mother teach you that "teasing" is not a nice thing to do. (LOL). There, frustration vented. Back to waiting...and waiting...and waiting...

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
And I'm so used to hear him say,

we'll release this one fine day.

The sound on blu will wow you too.

I've grown accustomed to the wait,

As months and months keep going by.

I wait for images resplendent

In their Technicolor hues

Surely we will have it not much past late May or early June.

But another post just hints at what we have in store. (Sigh)

Accustomed to this wait.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Wait! I thought somebody said it's hair he restores.

And all this time, I'm resigned to thinking I'm just on a long waiting list...

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Jim*Tod said:
Accustomed to this wait.
I want mi Blu ray here this morning! Ding dong!
The postman's gonna chime. Pull out the stopper!
Let's have a whopper! But get me mi Blu ray on time!

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Jim*Tod said:

Accustomed to this wait.
Well, at least the wait seems to be inspiring some folks to exercise their creative side.

RMajidi said:
I want mi Blu ray here this morning! Ding dong!
The postman's gonna chime. Pull out the stopper!
Let's have a whopper! But get me mi Blu ray on time!

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
RMajidi said:
...or to put it another way:
Paramount, move your bloomin R's [i.e. blu-Rays]
Since My Fair Lady was one of the proudest feathers in Jack Warner's cap, and my DVD copy of the film is on Warner Home Video, would you mind telling me precisely how Paramount could be getting in on the act?

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Mike Boone said:
Since My Fair Lady was one of the proudest feathers in Jack Warner's cap, and my DVD copy of the film is on Warner Home Video, would you mind telling me precisely how Paramount could be getting in on the act?
The film's owned by CBS...always has been. Warner only had theatrical distribution rights for a limited time.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
lukejosephchung said:
The film's owned by CBS...always has been. Warner only had theatrical distribution rights for a limited time.
If Warner only had theatrical distribution rights, then why is my DVD edition of My Fair Lady on the Warner Home Video label?

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Mike Boone said:
If Warner only had theatrical distribution rights, then why is my DVD edition of My Fair Lady on the Warner Home Video label?
Because home theater didn't exist when the contract was made, ancillary rights for the film were included until the contract expired...AFTER the DVD was made by Warner...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mike Boone said:
All rights, inclusive of copyright, reverted to CBS, which owns the underlying play, c. 1972. CBS licensed DVD to Warner c. 1997. At expiration, distribution went to Paramount, which like CBS, is under the Viacom umbrella.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Robert Harris said:
All rights, inclusive of copyright, reverted to CBS, which owns the underlying play, c. 1972. CBS licensed DVD to Warner c. 1997. At expiration, distribution went to Paramount, which like CBS, is under the Viacom umbrella.
Thank you RAH, for explaining why the faith of Blu-ray fans is most appropriately directed in trying to move the Paramount mountain.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Robert Harris said:

CBS owns the underlying play? When did that happen? CBS, at then Columbia Records President Goddard Lieberson's insistence, was the sole backer, and owns all cast recording rights. But the copyright on the play is in the name of Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe, and Warner bought the film rights for $5 million, with the film reverting to CBS seven years from release.

Did CBS later buy out Lerner and Loewe? Otherwise, I don't see how they own the play. They would still get income by virtue of backing the original production, a fact that, as I understand it, pretty much goes on until the copyright expires. But the Lerner and Loewe estates still own the copyright -- unless, of course, CBS bought the copyright from them, which maybe they did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks