What's new

Pre-Order PHE Press Release: My Fair Lady (1964) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I'm guessing she's singing to what she prerecorded on piano tracks. I guess this because Marni dubbed Audrey in Audrey's lower keys, not in the higher keys usually used for the role.
I can’t imagine Ms Hepburn attempting I Could have Danced All Night which Ms Nixon does superbly in the right key I believe. So I wonder if Ms Hepburn mouthed to Marni or recorded it prior too but it’s embarrassing awful to release. She did very good though in Funny Face which was in a much lower key. Thankfully MFL wasn’t lowered to fit her. Unlike Andrew Loyd Weber’s films which are terrible when they drastically change the key like Madonna’s Evita or Butler’s Phantom. Listen to to Patti Lupone or Michael Crawford - it’s an entirely different experience.
Even Ms Lupone’s singing in Sunset is spectacular compared to Ms Close’s most definitely because it was written especially for her in an entirely diff key. But no one lights up the screen like Ms Hepburn but she was robbed of even an Oscar nomination even though her acting was superb but due to the controversy..... unbelievable.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
This is the artwork shown on Target's pre-order page.

View attachment 88997

Golly, that looks familiar ...
View attachment 89079 ;) It may be a Target variant - as it does not state that includes blu-ray discs ... as the earlier cover does.
That blu ray has to be my least favorite packaging of anything I’ve ever had. Firstly that mylar look has nothing to do with MFL and it’s edge sharpness seriously almost gave me a major cut. Please no for the 4K - no no NO.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Julie got Audrey's Oscar. The Julie C got Andrews' Oscar the following year.
I don't know why the Peak artwork which is some of the best artwork ever for a movie was ditched close to 40 years ago and nobody has ever wanted to bring it back.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Julie got Audrey's Oscar. The Julie C got Andrews' Oscar the following year.
I don't know why the Peak artwork which is some of the best artwork ever for a movie was ditched close to 40 years ago and nobody has ever wanted to bring it back.
Last year I splurged and got the Bob Peak book- the thick white one edited by his son-on eBay. Highly recommended though pricey. I’m a big fan. He and Saul Bass can do no wrong. I’ve yet to get the Bass book though- one day.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Just looked at it on Amazon and currently you can pre-order it at $62? I will wait until it's half that price.
UPDATE: Best Buy currently has it for $19.99

Reactions: PMF

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I hope Robert Harris gives us a comprehensive review. His knowledge of the film at this point is that of Cukor, Allen, Beaton and Stradling combined.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I hope Robert Harris gives us a comprehensive review. His knowledge of the film at this point is that of Cukor, Allen, Beaton and Stradling combined.
I have expectations that should hopefully play out correctly. Those with high end panels should see a quality image, with some potential minor problems with air around blacks.

Projection, which should be the main viewing resource could have a problem with Dolby Vision / HDR. Without it would be perfect.

For those using panels that properly decode HDR/DV, pre-ordering should be a safe bet.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have expectations that should hopefully play out correctly. Those with high end panels should see a quality image, with some potential minor problems with air around blacks.

Projection, which should be the main viewing resource could have a problem with Dolby Vision / HDR. Without it would be perfect.

For those using panels that properly decode HDR/DV, pre-ordering should be a safe bet.
What do you mean projection should be the main viewing resource?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
...or even G.B.S. and CBS, en toto.:cool:

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What do you mean projection should be the main viewing resource?
While large format films can be viewed on a phone, the initial purpose was viewing on huge screens. A large format presentation viewed on a 55 inch panel in 4k will not serve purposes much better than a Blu-ray.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
While large format films can be viewed on a phone, the initial purpose was viewing on huge screens. A large format presentation viewed on a 55 inch panel in 4k will not serve purposes much better than a Blu-ray.
You do understand that most people don't have the luxury to having a projection system for various reasons? At times, compromises are necessary even if it's not optimal conditions. You say watching on 55" panel doesn't serve purposes much better than a BD. I disagree, as I find watching 4K material on my 55" OLED is a wonderful movie watching experience and I can tell the difference between a 4K disc and a BD.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
As I've written the itunes is a real disappointment on my LG 86 in 4k tv with the 50th anniversary blu-ray looking noticeably better. I wonder if this 4k hard disc will look better than the itunes streaming or will they look exactly the same? It really is a matter of color, shading and sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks