What's new

Pre-Order PHE Press Release: My Fair Lady (1964) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think Shirley MacLaine would have been another great choice

There were many actresses at the time that could have done "King And I" for example Judy Garland, Doris Day, Betty Hutton, Mitzi Gaynor, or Grace Kelly to name a few......
Then there's "West Side Story", was Natalie Wood's voice that bad ?? Why not Connie Francis as Maria, she certainly had the chops and could have taken on Maria.
I think Shirley MacLaine would have been woefully miscast as Maria. I don’t think Judy would have worked in TK&I and to my knowledge, Grace Kelly didn’t have a professional singing voice. I don’t think Connie Francis had the acting chops to play Maria and I’m not sure her voice would have fit the role, either.

In the case of Natalie Wood, the role called for more than “her voice isn’t that bad.” It calls for a sensational voice.

I used to hate dubbing until they did Camelot and Vanessa Redgrave did her own singing as Guinevere. And Lancelot was played and sung by an actor who couldn’t speak English (if I remember correctly). The live action version of Beauty and the Beast starred Emma Watson who has a pleasant voice. Watch the animated version and you’ll probably be disappointed in Emma’s singing. I like Emma, but for me, she ruined the movie.

If I remember correctly, Hollywood didn’t want Robert Preston for Harold Hill in “The Music Man.” I believe the author, Meredith Wilson, said no Preston, no movie. They didn’t want Julie Andrews for MFL, but the same year she starred in “Mary Poppins” and got an Oscar. However the combination of Audrey and Marnie Nixon worked magic too.

Last edited:

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Here's she is singing Wouldn't It Be Loverly and Without You.

Thanks so much for posting these. They should give the option of listening to Marni Nixon's vocals or listening to Audrey. I am impressed she actually recorded vocal tracks for the film. This is fascinating to realize but at the same time unfortunate Warner's did not use them. Wonder how Audrey felt about this ? Didn't they do that to Ava Gardner in "Showboat" And I heard her vocals were stellar, and they dubbed her.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Thanks so much for posting these. They should give the option of listening to Marni Nixon's vocals or listening to Audrey. I am impressed she actually recorded vocal tracks for the film. This is fascinating to realize but at the same time unfortunate Warner's did not use them. Wonder how Audrey felt about this ? Didn't they do that to Ava Gardner in "Showboat" And I heard her vocals were stellar, and they dubbed her.

From what I've heard and read, Eliza's singing voice is soprano were as Audrey was an alto. Moon River was where her vocal range went to.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
These are fascinating to listen to, but do illustrate that Audrey didn’t have the singing voice for the role. I’m glad they dubbed her. This brings to mind a question, when she was performing the song in front of cameras she would be lip syncing to a prior recording. Which recording, hers or Marni’s?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ms Hepburn did not record vocal tracks for the film. She did piano tests. Probably a dozen takes were cut together by the word and phrase to achieve what you’re hearing.

There were neither complete songs, nor even long takes.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
These are fascinating to listen to, but do illustrate that Audrey didn’t have the singing voice for the role. I’m glad they dubbed her. This brings to mind a question, when she was performing the song in front of cameras she would be lip syncing to a prior recording. Which recording, hers or Marni’s?
I'm guessing she's singing to what she prerecorded on piano tracks. I guess this because Marni dubbed Audrey in Audrey's lower keys, not in the higher keys usually used for the role.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ms Hepburn did not record vocal tracks for the film. She did piano tests. Probably a dozen takes were cut together by the word and phrase to achieve what you’re hearing.

Would that mean she performed to Marni’s singing? What was Audrey’s attitude? Was she accepting of the dubbing?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Would that mean she performed to Marni’s singing? What was Audrey’s attitude? Was she accepting of the dubbing?
Her attitude was disappointed, but accepting. Above all, what comes through in the tests is her absolute sweetness and respect for those working with her. An amazing lady.

But so was Marni.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Her attitude was disappointed, but accepting. Above all, what comes through in the tests is her absolute sweetness and respect for those working with her. An amazing lady.
In Charade she says to Cary Grant “You know what’s wrong with you? Nothing.” I think that must have been true of Audrey.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
And speaking of Lerner and Lowe on film, how did they arrive at the decision to keep Lee Marvin’s voice? Was dubbing considered? And if so, was there anyone known to have already laid down some tracks?

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
And speaking of Lerner and Lowe on film, how did they arrive at the decision to keep Lee Marvin’s voice? Was dubbing considered? And if so, was there anyone known to have already laid down some tracks?

My guess would be that they were going to give Audrey a shot, but have Marni as the back up. Audrey wasn't really a singer so I think she knew that her voice was probably not going to be used for every song, were as Natalie Wood on the other hand...

Reactions: PMF

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Also, let's not forget that Audrey DOES sing the first and last parts of "Just You Wait" and the first couple of lines of "I Could Have Danced All Night" ("Bed, bed, I couldn't go to bed....")

I thought the only line that was hers in the latter song was "sleep, sleep, I couldn't sleep tonight."

Reactions: PMF

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP

Too bad.....

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
There were many actresses at the time that could have done "King And I" for example Judy Garland, Doris Day, Betty Hutton, Mitzi Gaynor, or Grace Kelly to name a few......
Then there's "West Side Story", was Natalie Wood's voice that bad ?? Why not Connie Francis as Maria, she certainly had the chops and could have taken on Maria.

Deborah Kerr conveyed the perfect Britishness key to the character of Anna.
Betty Hutton?!?!? The king would be cowering.

In any case, the brilliant elegance that Hepburn has is more attractively cinematic than practically anyone else. And I had rather have the acting there than a lovely American out of their depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks