What's new

Music Replacement (1 Viewer)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Well, if you re-read my original post in this thread, exactly how does it show a "holier than thou attitude". All I said was it is much easier to record the shows that are airing currently that you like and this way if they don't come out or come out drastically changed, then you at least have them as broadcast. I didn't bring up older shows, other people did. I didn't take a wiseass attitude about not being able to record shows that are in the recording era, others did. It's very easy to shoot the messenger who tells you that, yeah, you screwed up and you should have recorded something you liked rather than admit that maybe you should have. That's fine that people want to vent their frustrations, either at the studios for tinkering with the shows or at the older collectors who have been at for a long time. Personally, I'm envious of all of the film collectors who go back further than I do and thought to preserve these things. I don't mock them for the fact they thought ahead. And if they choose to gloat about it because they were smarter, they damn well have a right to. Just like if someone collected and put away thousands of old baseball cards before they became popular and expensive. I should be angry at them because they thought ahead and I didn't? I don't think so. But I guess that's maybe where the generations differ.

Excuse me now while I go enjoy my UNCUT first season Cosby Show.:wink:

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't even born when The Cosby Show started, does that mean I should be upset with my parents for not having the foresight to conceive until after it debuted?

Personally, I don't really care if you taped in when it aired; more power to you. It's the gloating and "Ha!" attitude that gets me.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I think you're the one missing the point. Who cares IF this and IF that? Those don't apply to me. So, am I not then allowed to desire uncut versions without music replacement and complain about it when it doesn't happen?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I am naive, but I would think that producers are now having the forethought to negotiate DVD release when they negoiate for the music rights, initially. I think that is what they did with most of the music that is in American Dreams DVD, Season 1.

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
Something funny I noticed while browsing a Northern Exposure website. On Season 2, as we al know the music has ben replaced, however, according to the website below, the music IS intact on the Spanish language track.

http://moosechick.com/DVD.html

I'm sorry to say that the guys that work at Universal are truly a bunch of idiots.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Or it could be that they had rights to existing masters, but if they were doing a new surround mix had to change it. We just don't know the situation or circumstances in any of these cases.

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
Unless it is important to the plot of the story-what is the big deal? Sometimes the music replacement probably keeps the price of dvds lower. Maybe you could buy the original music and play it at the same time as the dvd. That way you could hear the original music on the dvd. Hey-it's just a crazy thought! I would never give up the third season of the Mary Tyler Moore Show because they cut out 5 seconds or whatever it was of music. Fox did a great job on the transfers and the show in the third season really started coming into its own. I think music replacement is just something we have to live with right now. I am not sticking up for the studios-I think they should leave everything in tact but in the real world I just don't see it happening.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
If music rights were truly an issue then what about Smallville? Now, I love the series as I have the first four seasons on DVD already and each episode has licensed music in every episode. I don't think that music licensing is as big a problem as everyone thinks it is.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Because Smallville has its music intact, it's not an issue for any other show? They had the foresight and budget to secure the rights to the songs for a DVD release. Not all shows have done that.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
that may be but the studios still have to pay the music studios a licensing fee for the music that appears on the Smallville DVD sets.

Please remember, studios only pay a fee for broadcast rights. When a series is released to DVD they have to pay new licensing fees since it's being released into a new entertainment medium. Broadcast rights and DVD rights are two separate licensing areas and studios still pay for the rights when the show is released to DVD.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
It also depends on how much a Studio is willing to spend. Smallville, uses a lot of songs highly popular - especially with 18-34's who are likely to buy DVD's. That means they are willing to spend more.

Maybe WB bought both rights when producing the show, it is possible because of the shared production & distribution company that they did.

And finally, maybe WB were able to license all songs because they use the songs again/use songs from the same artist again and were able to get a better bulk offer? If a company/owner was holding back for more money, they would loose a lot more if WB replaced all of their music on the set - so the artist/owner agrees to a lower price.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I think it's simply because Warner Bros. is committed to having better quality products. I mean, they've only used music replacement twice out of the hundreds of sets they've produced, and one of the two titles was pulled from the market around release time and held off for nine months to attempt to straighten out the music issues.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
"I mean, they've only used music replacement twice out of the hundreds of sets they've produced"

There's more than two (Wallace and Gromit, Absolutely Fabulous, Robot Chicken, Mission Hill and others which escape my mind at this point)

And, altough technically not music rights related, there is the rather inane and ridiculous audio edit to one of the Red Dwarf series

James Reader

Screenwriter
Firstly, its not any producers "mission" to make a TV series for later DVD sales. A TV series is made for the TV audience, which is likely to me many times greater than the DVD audience ever will be.

If that means getting the right to a track for TV, which may not be possible on the DVD release due to costs, then that's what they should go for. It's what I would do if I was a TV producer. Why would any show pay more money then required for additional licencing rights, when it could be pulled from the TV schedules at any time?

The Dog wags the tail, not the tail wagging the dog. TV shows are made for TV, not DVD.

As for Warner, Warner are still a music publisher themselves - remember Universal are not anymore. This means that often Warner shows use warner artists and bands for cross promotion, and even if they don't, they can still probably agree to better terms from other music publishers via like for like trades. I don't know that for a fact, but it's a suggestion.

Regardless, Warners, being a music publisher, is in a different and stronger position to negotiate rights than, say, Lion's Gate.

It looks like the music rights payments have put paid to us seeing any more Murphy Brown from Warners. I know some people claim Warners are the guilty party (not enough publicity etc) but really, if the costs of the music run too high, and sales aren't enough, what else can they do?

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Maybe this will lead to the elimination of cheesy songs in lieu of actual scored music. One can only hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks