What's new

Non USA releases that are not as cut (music replacements etc. ) as their USA counterparts. (1 Viewer)

Al_D

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anyone has any other additions to the list of series that I know of that are less cut internationally that their USA counterparts. I have collected the following so far.

Alf - German release, most episodes not syndicated versions like USA.
Equalizer - UK release - music not replaced
Hunter- German release - music not replaced
Northern Exposure German and UK blu-ray's - music not replaced
Riptide- German release- music not replaced

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Happy Days (all seasons) retain the 1950s music in the episodes on the UK releases, but not the US ones. Bizarrely, though, "Rock Around the Clock" is replaced on Seasons 1 and 2 of the UK release with the "Happy Days Theme."

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I was wondering if anyone has any other additions to the list of series that I know of that are less cut internationally that their USA counterparts. I have collected the following so far.

I think Hogan's Heroes was treated better in Germany than here as well.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen

Great idea for a thread! I think you have listed all the examples I am aware of, but I will add any others I come across.

I wonder about The Greatest American Hero. I understand the U.S. version had some music replacements, but not sure about the Japanese or other versions.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Great idea for a thread! I think you have listed all the examples I am aware of, but I will add any others I come across.

I wonder about The Greatest American Hero. I understand the U.S. version had some music replacements, but not sure about the Japanese or other versions.
I have both the Japanese DVDs and Blu ray set of TGAH, and all the original music is intact. I highly doubt that the new VEI release will have the original tunes. Cannell wasn't going to pony up the dough originally, and I'm sure VEI will be provided the same music replaced masters everyone has had here in the states.

Last edited:

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I have both the Japanese DVDs and Blu ray set of TGAH, and all the original music is intact. I highly doubt that the new VEI release will have the original tunes. Cannell wasn't going to pony up the dough originally, and I'm sure VEI will be provided the same music replaced masters everyone has had here in the states.
Thanks for clarifying. I wish I could get that Blu ray set but the price is insane now. The ironic thing is, most of the pop songs on the show were cover versions, so one would think there wouldn't be a licensing issue.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for clarifying. I wish I could get that Blu ray set but the price is insane now. The ironic thing is, most of the pop songs on the show were cover versions, so one would think there wouldn't be a licensing issue.
Just so you are aware, the blu ray set is just an upscale. Nothing was scanned from original film elements. If you play the original Anchor Bay DVDs in a blu ray player that upscales and watch the same episode from the Japanese blu ray set side by side the blu ray episode has a slightly better picture quality. Do the same with the Japanese DVDs and blu set and I can’t tell the difference.

Of all the DVD sets of the series, the Japanese DVD set is the best quality. 3 episodes per disc and original music. 2nd would be the original Anchor Bay set.

No sets include the Cannell produced teasers from the 2nd and 3rd seasons. I worked with Anchor Bay on those original sets and they told me they went with what Cannell Productions provided.

I would love to see a legit set released in HD, not only for TGAH but for many of the other Cannell shows. Until then (if ever) I’ve been using Topaz Video Enhance A.I to recreate the episodes in HD including the teasers and previews, bumpers, and sponsors. Fun, but time consuming project.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Just so you are aware, the blu ray set is just an upscale. Nothing was scanned from original film elements. If you play the original Anchor Bay DVDs in a blu ray player that upscales and watch the same episode from the Japanese blu ray set side by side the blu ray episode has a slightly better picture quality. Do the same with the Japanese DVDs and blu set and I can’t tell the difference.

Of all the DVD sets of the series, the Japanese DVD set is the best quality. 3 episodes per disc and original music. 2nd would be the original Anchor Bay set.

No sets include the Cannell produced teasers from the 2nd and 3rd seasons. I worked with Anchor Bay on those original sets and they told me they went with what Cannell Productions provided.

I would love to see a legit set released in HD, not only for TGAH but for many of the other Cannell shows. Until then (if ever) I’ve been using Topaz Video Enhance A.I to recreate the episodes in HD including the teasers and previews, bumpers, and sponsors. Fun, but time consuming project.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Very cool that you worked with Anchor Bay. Why did they disappear anyway?

I guess I'll keep an eye on eBay (and Yahoo Auctions Japan) for the Japanese DVDs of TGAH, but I'm not optimistic they'll be reasonably priced.

Your HD recreation project sounds very interesting. Are there any samples clips available to view online?

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Very cool that you worked with Anchor Bay. Why did they disappear anyway?

I guess I'll keep an eye on eBay (and Yahoo Auctions Japan) for the Japanese DVDs of TGAH, but I'm not optimistic they'll be reasonably priced.

Your HD recreation project sounds very interesting. Are there any samples clips available to view online?
I don’t know what happened with Anchor Bay, I just worked with them on TGAH. I provided series information, photos, contact info, that kinda thing. I also wrote the trivia questions included in the season 2 release. My biggest regret with that was including a question about the song Eve of Destruction. The 2nd season set was being prepared before the first season was released. I didn’t know at that time Eve would be replaced by an alternate tune. After the first season came out and I found all the replacement songs I contacted AB about changing the trivia question. Too late, the booklets were already being printed.

I believe you are correct, if you ran onto the Japanese DVDs or blu ray set the sellers I’m sure would be asking a astronomical price.

Here’s an example of a teaser reconstruction. Doesn’t look as good on YT as it does playing directly from my master to my 50 inch screen.

Last edited:

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I don’t know what happened with Anchor Bay, I just worked with them on TGAH. I just provided series information, photos, contact info, that kinda thing. I also wrote the trivia questions included in the season 2 release. My biggest regret with that was including a question about the song Eve of Destruction. The 2nd season set was being prepared before the first season was released. I didn’t know at that time Eve would be replaced by an alternate tune. After the first season came out and I found all the replacement songs I contacted AB about changing the trivia question. Too late, the booklets were already being printed.

I believe you are correct, if you ran onto the Japanese DVDs or blu ray set the sellers I’m sure would be asking a astronomical price.

Here’s an example of a teaser reconstruction. Doesn’t look as good on YT as it does playing directly from my master to my 50 inch screen.

Fantastic! That is a work of art. I wish all TV physical releases would include promos like that.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Fantastic! That is a work of art. I wish all TV physical releases would include promos like that.
Thanks!

Those 1st season teasers before the opening credits were produced in house by ABC with the voiceover by Ernie Anderson. The 2nd and 3rd season were cut together at Cannell Productions and were delivered to the network attached to the episodes.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for all this information, Scott. I will forever regret not finding a way to get a hold of those Japanese releases. This was one of my favorite shows as a teenager, and the music was a huge part of it. I would’ve gladly pay the premium price for HD quality and all the original music intact.

Loved the bumpers as well, and was really hoping they would be included in the US sets.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Thanks for all this information, Scott. I will forever regret not finding a way to get a hold of those Japanese releases. This was one of my favorite shows as a teenager, and the music was a huge part of it. I would’ve gladly pay the premium price for HD quality and all the original music intact.

Loved the bumpers as well, and was really hoping they would be included in the US sets.
I see on Yahoo Auction Japan that some volumes of the Japanese DVD release are going for between $50 - $150 each at the moment. They would be costly to collect indeed.

Last edited:

anytimepally

Agent
Real Name
Jim
The UK release of Tour of Duty has much more of the music intact than the USA release. Most importantly, "Paint It Black" is the theme song. The USA version used generic pan flute music.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The UK release of Tour of Duty has much more of the music intact than the USA release. Most importantly, "Paint It Black" is the theme song. The USA version used generic pan flute music.
They replaced the theme song? Wow, that's low. I guess I have heard about it happening with a few other properties,

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott

You are welcome, glad I could provide some information.

It was one of my favorites as a teenager also. :)

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I think 21 Jump Street should be added to the list. I have seen reviews saying that the German DVD release has the original soundtrack. Currently $67 from Amazon Germany:

Al_D

Stunt Coordinator
I think 21 Jump Street should be added to the list. I have seen reviews saying that the German DVD release has the original soundtrack. Currently $67 from Amazon Germany:

I have heard that it does not have the original music on the English tracks for season 5, but have not been able to verify.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I have heard that it does not have the original music on the English tracks for season 5, but have not been able to verify.
I read that also, but even if true, at least it still retains all the music in some format. Maybe someone who owns it can comment.

Al_D

Stunt Coordinator
I read that also, but even if true, at least it still retains all the music in some format. Maybe someone who owns it can comment.
I will probably still purchase it as it probably will be the best that we will ever get. Happy to have the music for the other seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks