What's new

Non USA releases that are not as cut (music replacements etc. ) as their USA counterparts. (1 Viewer)

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I will probably still purchase it as it probably will be the best that we will ever get. Happy to have the music for the other seasons.
Right. The show got downgraded to syndication for its final season, and Depp isn't even in it. So not the biggest loss I guess.

Guardyan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattie
I'm sorry I can't be more helpful by citing specific titles but one thing I know for sure is that, at least during the 90s and early 2000s, most TV shows that were then current/new but got cancelled for whatever reason probably had all episodes that remained unaired stateside broadcast at some point internationally in any country that had cable service available. It's common to find Wikipedia articles for some shows that now may be considered obscure and hear that whatever was unaired in the US got to see the light of day in South America or in Europe. Sony has an international cable channel that used to be known as SET (Sony Entertainment Television) that was promoted as every American dream because it carried the most popular shows in American television with no conflicting time schedule (that sounds like marketing shenneingans but imagine back when appointment television was a thing and u didn't have to choose between two great choices). I won't recall now the name of this show I use to watch in early 2000s, but I do remember speaking with a friend that was doing an exchange program and he told me about the unaired episodes he got to watch while I never got to see any of that. I wonder now if those episodes saw the light of the day on some intl release or what.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Happy Days (all seasons) retain the 1950s music in the episodes on the UK releases, but not the US ones. Bizarrely, though, "Rock Around the Clock" is replaced on Seasons 1 and 2 of the UK release with the "Happy Days Theme."
MeTV has the Happy Days theme as well, and the theme had to be extended to fit the longer "Rock Around the Clock" video.

Al_D

Stunt Coordinator
Right. The show got downgraded to syndication for its final season, and Depp isn't even in it. So not the biggest loss I guess.
Season 5 of the German release of 21 Jump Street does indeed have replacement music for the English tracks but not for German tracks Just bought the series myself and checked. I can switch the audio on the fly and when there is no speaking hear the original music.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I don’t know what happened with Anchor Bay, I just worked with them on TGAH. I provided series information, photos, contact info, that kinda thing. I also wrote the trivia questions included in the season 2 release. My biggest regret with that was including a question about the song Eve of Destruction. The 2nd season set was being prepared before the first season was released. I didn’t know at that time Eve would be replaced by an alternate tune.
Ughhhh man, when I first popped in Operation: Spoilsport, my heart sank when the alternate music came on. That was my favorite episode and the song was - as many were - important to the plot. It also made the episode darker and more serious. I cannot watch that episode as it is. I don't mean to make you feel worse, just saying, dammit. It wasn't even the original song. The series is a tough watch with all the replacements.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Ughhhh man, when I first popped in Operation: Spoilsport, my heart sank when the alternate music came on. That was my favorite episode and the song was - as many were - important to the plot. It also made the episode darker and more serious. I cannot watch that episode as it is. I don't mean to make you feel worse, just saying, dammit. It wasn't even the original song. The series is a tough watch with all the replacements.
I totally agree with you. It mucks up the entire episode. I hate all the music replacements in the series.

While not TGAH, I caught some of Decades weekend binge of Riptide. I can’t say 100% about every song because I didn’t watch every episode, but at least some of the original music missing on the U.S. DVD release was intact on Decades.

This is the first time I’ve seen Riptide on TV since NBC and the USA Network syndicated run. USA Network episodes while cut for more commercial time still had the original tunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks