What's new

Anyone have experience buying TV DVDs/Blu rays from German sites? (looking for Hunter) (2 Viewers)

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Walker was shot on film, but edited (assembled) on tape, so that's why it has a "softer" lower-resolution look.

In addition to what Travis said about SFX, etc., it's even more complicated than that. Since tape was used to edit all those little pieces of film together (and to generate the on-screen titles, credits, etc), for an "edited-on-tape" to be made high def, not only would they have to go back and find all those A/B rolls of film, somebody would have to edit them all together all over again (such as in Final Cut), re-create the credits, etc. It's a very time-involved process, even if there are no 'SFX'. Even a show like Walker: Texas Ranger would be a costly proposition to go back and re-scan/re-assemble all the episodes, and that's assuming all the original film elements still exist!
Thanks for explaining that. Maybe the latter seasons of Hunter were edited on tape as well, I think they look a little less crisp but it's been a while.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
With R2 => R1 playback, there are generally two options. Both require a multi-region players

Multi-region players ignore the Region code (usually some 'hack' changes the region per viewing, or changes it permanently to all-region "0").
Some players then output the signal as PAL (and you need a TV that can display a PAL signal). For material that was made in Region 2, this is the better option. The content will look and sound as it was originally made.
Others convert the PAL signal to NTSC, and output the signal as NTSC (this doesn't require a TV with PAL capability). This is watchable, but depending on where the content was made, and also the quality of the player's conversion, may introduce some problems (how much of a problem is up to personal taste). US and Europe have different frame rates, and depending on whether those were adjusted (and need to be adjusted back)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
A little off topic, but other than Nights in White Satin, what other music was taken out from Wiseguy? I still have my CBS masters but I know that any Cannell show, he couldn't be bothered trying to clear the music for DVD or syndication for that matter, and just pulled it out. Wasn't even a case of the so-called, greedy music publishers. He never even bothered to try. That was why when Nights appeared in another series on DVD, and someone asked the band why they allowed it for that show and not Wiseguy, they said Cannell never asked.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have a number of shows I bought from Germany but when they were in print. I never waiting until a show was out of print and had to look for aftermarket sellers. Expect to pay more and that's even if you can get them to ship to the US. The one set I bought late, I had to have it sent to my sister in the UK.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
A little off topic, but other than Nights in White Satin, what other music was taken out from Wiseguy? I still have my CBS masters but I know that any Cannell show, he couldn't be bothered trying to clear the music for DVD or syndication for that matter, and just pulled it out. Wasn't even a case of the so-called, greedy music publishers. He never even bothered to try. That was why when Nights appeared in another series on DVD, and someone asked the band why they allowed it for that show and not Wiseguy, they said Cannell never asked.
Not sure, but there is a German release of Wiseguy, so it might be worth checking to see if that has the same music issues or not.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I was under the impression that the entire 'Dead Dog Records' arc has never been released (officially) to home video.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I was under the impression that the entire 'Dead Dog Records' arc has never been released (officially) to home video.
I can't be certain since the episode titles seem to have all been changed in German, but the German release of Season 2 has the full 22 episodes so it probably includes that arc.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I can't be certain since the episode titles seem to have all been changed in German, but the German release of Season 2 has the full 22 episodes so it probably includes that arc.

Might be worth it to get the 3 seasons from Germany. I don't care about the abysmal 4th season without Wahl. What about the return movie from 1995. Was that released anywhere? Where Vinnie came back from the dead.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Might be worth it to get the 3 seasons from Germany. I don't care about the abysmal 4th season without Wahl. What about the return movie from 1995. Was that released anywhere? Where Vinnie came back from the dead.
Yes, the reunion TV movie is available on DVD in - where else - Germany:

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
something to consider for Hunter, just announced today it looks like!
Huinter: The Complete Series from VEI
Thanks! Man, only $40. The price is right. I guess VEI was watching the outrageous prices ($200+) that the out of print US complete set was going for on eBay.

But almost surely this will be the same as the previous U.S. set with all the music substitutions in season 1. So, probably will still hunt down the German set.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Thanks! Man, only $40. The price is right. I guess VEI was watching the outrageous prices ($200+) that the out of print US complete set was going for on eBay.

But almost surely this will be the same as the previous U.S. set with all the music substitutions in season 1. So, probably will still hunt down the German set.

Not an extremely important show for me so I'll keep my off air recordings from NBC. By the way, no one has ever put out the short sequel series have they? What was it like 5 or 6 episodes and NBC didn't even air them all.

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a little confused? What 2 movies? There was only one, in 1995.
No, there were two. The second one is what spurred the revival series. The first movie was The Return of Hunter: Everyone Walks in L.A.. And the second - where McCall made her return (as Stepfanie Kramer was pregnant during the first years before and could not participate!) was Hunter: Return To Justice. The first movie was in 1995 or 1996, the second in 2002, just a year before the revival series.

As for this set, it's weird only one of the two movies are being released. And I am not sure this set would be any better than the Mill Creek complete series for @Desslar as this also says nothing about any restoration of the original music (what he/she was looking for, hence looking for the German set!)

But thanks for the heads up on the re-release of the series. Just wish the revival series from 2003 would be released, including the unaired episodes.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Not an extremely important show for me so I'll keep my off air recordings from NBC. By the way, no one has ever put out the short sequel series have they? What was it like 5 or 6 episodes and NBC didn't even air them all.
It is one of my all-time favorite drama series. I watched the heck out of the first 3-4 seasons, then lost track of it after that. Not really interested in the revival series - they were both a bit too old to be believable as tough cops by that point, and knowing 00s TV I would be surprised if there's much action.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
No, there were two. The second one is what spurred the revival series. The first movie was The Return of Hunter: Everyone Walks in L.A.. And the second - where McCall made her return (as Stepfanie Kramer was pregnant during the first years before and could not participate!) was Hunter: Return To Justice. The first movie was in 1995 or 1996, the second in 2002, just a year before the revival series.

As for this set, it's weird only one of the two movies are being released. And I am not sure this set would be any better than the Mill Creek complete series for @Desslar as this also says nothing about any restoration of the original music (what he/she was looking for, hence looking for the German set!)

But thanks for the heads up on the re-release of the series. Just wish the revival series from 2003 would be released, including the unaired episodes.
Actually there are three TV movies. Hunter: Back in Force in 2003 was the 3rd that led up to the new series. NBC aired 3 episodes of the new show, and the remaining 2 shows were left on the shelf.

Doubtful these will ever be included in a mega Hunter set because somewhere there are different ownership rights to the 2002/03 TV movies and episodes. I would need to check my recordings to say for sure.

I’m sure VEI’s set will include the same music substitutions or the outright shorting of episodes due to the tunes as the other U.S. release. I have the German set, it’s the way to go. Same with Riptide, as I believe someone else already mentioned.

Taking the music issues out the mix all of Cannell’s shows need to be brought into HD. Since his death it appears the family/estate whatever feels no need to do this. The only reason The A-Team is in HD is because Universal holds controlling interest in the show. It was the last thing he owed them when leaving the studio to form his own company

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

I was talking about Wiseguy and the German DVD with 2 movies, not Hunter. Which by the way, the first movie is the original 2-hour pilot episode of Wiseguy.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I’m sure VEI’s set will include the same music substitutions or the outright shorting of episodes due to the tunes as the other U.S. release. I have the German set, it’s the way to go. Same with Riptide, as I believe someone else already mentioned.

Taking the music issues out the mix all of Cannell’s shows need to be brought into HD. Since his death it appears the family/estate whatever feels no need to do this. The only reason The A-Team is in HD is because Universal holds controlling interest in the show. It was the last thing he owed them when leaving the studio to form his own company

Is the picture pretty good on the German Hunter and Riptide releases?

I definitely support getting more Cannell on Blu ray, or even DVD in some cases. I think all we have so far is The Rockford Files and The A-Team. (The Greatest American Hero was released on Japan but seems to be out of print).

Would love to see all of these released in the U.S.:

Chase (1973)
Toma (1973)
Baretta (1975)
City of Angels (1976)
Tenspeed and Brown Shoe (1980)
The Greatest American Hero (1981–1983)
The Rousters (1983)
Hardcastle and McCormick (1983–1986)
Hunter (1984–1991)
Riptide (1984–1986)
J.J. Starbuck (1987)
Wiseguy (1987–1990)
21 Jump Street (1987–1991)
Silk Stalkings (1991–1999)

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Is the picture pretty good on the German Hunter and Riptide releases?

I definitely support getting more Cannell on Blu ray, or even DVD in some cases. I think all we have so far is The Rockford Files and The A-Team. (The Greatest American Hero was released on Japan but seems to be out of print).

Chase (1973)
Toma (1973)
Baretta (1975)
City of Angels (1976)
The Greatest American Hero (1981–1983)
The Rousters (1983)
Hardcastle and McCormick (1983–1986)
Hunter (1984–1991)
Riptide (1984–1986)
J.J. Starbuck (1987)
Wiseguy (1987–1990)
21 Jump Street (1987–1991)
Silk Stalkings (1991–1999)
The Rockford Files is from when Cannell worked at Universal, it’s out on blu for the same reason as The A-Team. Chase, Toma, Baretta, & City of Angels are also owned by Universal. I would love to see even just a DVD release of Chase & City of Angels but I doubt if that will ever happen.

I have the Japanese blu release of The Greatest American Hero. Not true HD, just upscales from tape masters.

The German DVDs of Hunter & Riptide look good, so does Hardcastle & McCormick. If memory serves me correct the 4th season of Hunter looks the worst. Not because of any fault of the company that released the series, but because Cannell started having the show transferred to video tape for editing. (an experiment he tried all the way back in 1981 with TGAH’s The Lost Diablo) Thankfully the decision was made on Hunter to go back to editing on film.

I would take all you listed above in HD, along with The Quest, The Last Precinct, (which is really awful in my opinion 😆) Stingray, and Sonny Spoon.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall

Tenspeed and Brown Shoe was released in 2010 by Mill Creek, 12 episodes on 3 discs. One of their first nice quality non-PD releases, even though CBS (who owns the two-part pilot telefilm from January 1980) wouldn't let Mill Creek include the pilot along with the rest of the series' 12 episode run licensed from Cannell. I see that the pilot is available separately, apparently released by CBS in 2019, but I have an off-air recording so I don't know about the PQ of that disc. A fun and often clever show that I loved then and now. The series set is long OOP, but may be found if you're lucky at a reasonable price. Another one that I'd like to have alongside my Rockford Files complete series Blu-ray is the limited run spinoff, Richie Brockelman, Private Eye.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks