What's new
World Wide Stereo

Need a new AV receiver to replace my old Marantz SR7002 (1 Viewer)

enigma32

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
Just as the title says. I still think my old receiver sounds great but the tech just doesn't match new equipment, movies, etc. I have a ton of other expensive hobbies so I'd love to find a good deal on a new or even used receiver to replace my Marantz. I mostly use it for PS5 gaming, movies, and then music. I have some JBL L890 speakers and surrounds to match. Currently running a 5.1 system but my receiver doesn't wanna send sound to center or surrounds in some applications. Anyone have a good idea for a decent receiver replacement for around $500 or so that won't feel like a downgrade from my Marantz? Thanks for your help!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Not sure what you mean by a "downgrade" from your 16 year old Marantz receiver, since pretty much anything currently on the market would be considered an upgrade when it comes to HDMI versions and audio codecs.

However, at $500, you are likely looking at something that is entry-level or just above when looking at new, so you may want to consider refurbished. I cannot vouch for this retailer, but many here on the forum have had good luck with Accessories4Less.

The link I provided above will take you to a selection of Denon and Marantz receivers, most are refurbs. There are a few things I typically caution people on regarding refurbs:

1. What is the warranty? My experience with refurbs is that they typically only have a 30-90 day warranty, although I am seeing that for most products at Accessories4Less they include a minimum 1 year warranty.

2. Who is backing the warranty? Is it the manufacturer, the retailer, or a third party? If it's the latter two, what is their reputation?

3. Who completed the refurb and is it certified by the manufacturer?

4. What is the return policy? Having worked retail for a big box store, we often received "open box" items from our warehouse that were returns that had been "certified" as in good working order by said warehouse, only to find them dead on arrival (DOA). I am not trying to put Accessories4Less down (again, I have no experience with the company), but even duds that are "manufacturer-certified refurbs" can occasionally slip though the cracks.

Last edited:

enigma32

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
Thanks for your reply. My comment about a downgrade is mostly because my old Marantz still sounds good and has plenty of power. I have 0 experience with the newer home theater technology so things like Atmos don't mean much to me. Has amplifier and receiver tech improved so much that a newer, even somewhat entry level receiver will sound better? I have noticed that my budget seems unrealistically low but I've been out of the game for a bit and I picked up this SR7002 for around 500 maybe 12 years ago NIB. I just don't wanna buy something new and have it sound kinda iffy compared to my old receiver, or sound underpowered either. Maybe I'll have to drop more money or just live with what I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale