What's new

Murder on the Orient Express (2017) (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
My interest, besides enjoying this story, is the same as it is for most remakes and retellings - I want to see how this director and group of actors interpret the material. This is the chief reason I never lament remakes. I want to see what different people do with the same material (I love that). Most never exceed the original, but I never walk away from watching someone else's take on familiar material having gained nothing from the experience.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My interest, besides enjoying this story, is the same as it is for most remakes and retellings - I want to see how this director and group of actors interpret the material. I want to see what different people do with the same material (I love that).
I was thinking that too. People know that everyone dies in Hamlet but they've been watching it for 400 years straight. Granted, Murder On The Orient Express is a mystery so that's not a perfect analogy but audiences still know how both work out before walking into them.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was watching one of the many "famous" youtube movie shows and the people on the panel were excited and were trying to guess who is the killer! :D

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Judging from the trailer, the carriage set looks nothing like the Orient Express. Where is the luxury that the real train has? The furniture looks like it was bought at Ikea , said a friend of mine.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just watched Thirteen at Dinner (1985) with Peter Ustinov. It was so surreal to see David Suchet in it. Both actors together in the same scenes.

hercule2x.jpg

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Very similar to Murder, She Said where Margaret Rutherford shares several scenes with future Miss Marple Joan Hickson.

I believe that Christie saw Hickson in that film and wrote her a note saying she hoped she'd play her Miss Marple one day.

We're all so lucky that day came. For my money no one even comes close to Hickson's Marple.

After-MISS-MARPLE-3.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I believe that Christie saw Hickson in that film and wrote her a note saying she hoped she'd play her Miss Marple one day.

We're all so lucky that day came. For my money no one even comes close to Hickson's Marple.

After-MISS-MARPLE-3.jpg
I agree with you. She's unquestionably my favorite Miss Marple, and her versions of the 12 Jane Marple mystery novels are the most faithful to the books (even if they do veer in small matters but not in the identities of the murderers).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've heard that Christie wrote more than MotOE. It be nice if they'd make a movie or two out of some of the others.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There are quite a few films based on Christie novels, and a few popular TV shows as well. ;)

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
I have high hopes for this film. Unfortunately it is going to be crushed at the box office during Nov with both Marvel, DCU and a new Pixar film all coming at the same time. They should have opened it in December and let it roll out as any other film that might get some award attention. It will be lucky to get 2 weeks in theaters. The ads say that it is in 70 MM in New York and possibly some other cities. I hope I am wrong about its financial take.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have high hopes for this film. Unfortunately it is going to be crushed at the box office during Nov with both Marvel, DCU and a new Pixar film all coming at the same time. They should have opened it in December and let it roll out as any other film that might get some award attention. It will be lucky to get 2 weeks in theaters. The ads say that it is in 70 MM in New York and possibly some other cities. I hope I am wrong about its financial take.
It might actually do alright as counterprogramming to those bigger movies. It probably wouldn't get the younger crowd at any time of the year but older audiences will see it especially if it's good. And releasing it at that time means it'll be the only movie out that is aimed more at adult audiences.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter

As MOTOE is a remake, most people who saw the original already know the outcome. It has been done to death with repeated showings on tv.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm a member of the younger audience and I can't wait to see this. But I think Fox is playing the long game here. It's like when they opened Walk the Line directly opposite Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. They know they have a quality film (at least, we can assume they think it's good) that will play more to upscale adults than the comic-book blockbusters, and they want it to be there, but expect it to build word-of-mouth over time rather than have a big opening. I don't think Thor and Justice League will crowd it out, especially with that incredible cast.

Also, I know it's a remake, but perhaps they have adjusted the climax so that people who have seen the other one won't know everything? (I actually haven't seen the original and am perfectly happy to not know anything going into this one.) But to my point, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo adjusted the ending for the American remake since the Swedish one was already made.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Also, I know it's a remake, but perhaps they have adjusted the climax so that people who have seen the other one won't know everything? (I actually haven't seen the original and am perfectly happy to not know anything going into this one.) But to my point, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo adjusted the ending for the American remake since the Swedish one was already made.
It would be hard to change the outcome because it's a unique one. Agatha Christie loved to do the unthinkable.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My wife HATES the trailers now running on TV for this film.

She is adamant that they have taken this nice, sophisticated, classic bit of literature and turned into a graphically violent film (based upon the trailer).

I've played it back (with her) and have asked her to show me where the violence is (there are a couple of slaps, etc.) and she continues to insist its there. I'm convinced that it's the overly dramatic, moody music used in the trailer that sets that tone for her.

I'm put to mind of the Robert Downey Sherlock Holmes films by this phenomenon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks