What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This was a mess ,I saw the earlier movie on Blu-Ray and the TV Movie on blu- ray,This version is plain stupid ,He's bad casting ,and
other than 70mm ,this movie is a total waste
Yeah, to each his own as I thoroughly enjoyed this film and thought the cast was excellent.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got SO frustrated tonight. One interruption after another prevented me from putting the disc in the player, so I won't get to this until tomorrow afternoon. But get to it I will!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
OK, I got this watched this afternoon. It was entertaining, well produced, and well performed. Had I never seen another version of the story, it would be perfectly adequate though in some ways a bit removed from Mrs. Christie's original book.

But I still think the 1974 version has it all over this version. It's more playful, the star cameos are more spectacularly singular, and the director and screenwriter give every one of them a time in the spotlight to shine (some of the roles in this remake like the porter and the Princess's maid are almost afterthoughts). Without the Daisy Armstrong kidnapping sequence at the start, the double ironies that many of the Calais coach passengers were actually part of that scenario we saw earlier and then forgot about can't be present. Thus, the ingenuity of the set-up gets a bit muffled.

Branagh really takes great pains to change up settings to get them out of that cramped train as much as he can, but for me that was the fun of the original book and film: there is nowhere for the killer to go but hide among the passengers until the identity is revealed. The flashback to the night of the murder has far more impact in the original, too, even though it seems more vicious and vengeful in this new version.

The 4K presentation with Atmos sound was tremendous.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I hated the excessive use of CGI - I thought this movie was more Tintin 2 than Agatha Christie. Concerned about the Death on the Nile remake that the same team has apparently embarked on, although the first version of that was not much to speak of, so who knows...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Finney versions, not available in the US? I don’t see it on Amazon US but I do see it on Amazon UK.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Right now the Finney/Ustinov films are available on Blu-Ray only in Region 2 from Studio/Canal. These Blus are new and much better remasters which were released in October. I have all 3 and they are really (to my eyes on my 28 inch screen) stunning. There are also some decent extras.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My Blus of the four Christie movies from 1974-1982 were Swedish issues that had English language audio tracks and were region free (though I have an all-region player). They were barebones releases, however, so I retained the DVDs for their bonus materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks