What's new

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Title: Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

Tagline: Everyone is a suspect

Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery

Director: Kenneth Branagh

Cast: Kenneth Branagh, Penélope Cruz, Willem Dafoe, Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, Josh Gad, Derek Jacobi, Leslie Odom Jr., Michelle Pfeiffer, Daisy Ridley, Tom Bateman, Olivia Colman, Lucy Boynton, Marwan Kenzari, Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, Sergei Polunin, Miranda Raison, Phil Dunster, Hayat Kamille, Joseph Long, Gerard Horan, Rami Nasr, Adam Garcia, Ziad Abaza, Asan N'Jie, Ekran Mustafa, Andy Apollo, Sid Sagar, Michael Rouse, Matthew Hawksley, Kate Tydman, Pip Jordan, Yasmin Harrison, Lampros Kalfuntzos

Release: 2017-11-03

Runtime: 114

Plot: Genius Belgian detective Hercule Poirot investigates the murder of an American tycoon aboard the Orient Express train.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Few nights ago I saw this story twice.

6a00e5500c8a2a883301b7c8df1dbe970b-pi

First I re-watched this (1974).
I like everything about it except Poirot himself. He is very unlikable and Albert Finney is miscast.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
agatha.jpg

Then I saw David Suchet's version. I absolutely loved it. It's smaller in scale and it's very dark and bleak and lacks David Suchet's usual humor. And to my absolute surprise Jessica Chastain plays in it.

tumblr_nlq4ogGOBR1qlmu8mo6_1280.jpg

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Kenneth Branagh's Poirot definitely looks different - almost as if Kurt Russell's character from The Hateful Eight wandered into the wrong picture :) . I love Branagh's work to date so I am actually looking forward to this. Although I agree about the above two versions above. David Suchet will remain the absolute personification of Poirot for me.

Regards,

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Since I love Agatha Christie, I will naturally see this, but I have to say I'm not going into it with enthusiasm. There are SO many Poirot novels that are not so familiar as Murder on the Orient Express that could have been given a lavish feature film treatment rather than making ANOTHER version of a story that's already been filmed three times prior to Branagh's effort (twice for television, once with Suchet and once with Alfred Molina).

The 1974 version is near perfection from the standpoint of faithfulness to the source material and all-star casting (I love Finney's Poirot precisely because he's not endearing). Changing some of the names and countries of origin of the characters isn't going to alter the tale in any significant way. The piece on the movie in Entertainment Weekly even dared to suggest that Johnny Depp's Ratchet might not even be the victim this time around. Hah! It wouldn't be Murder on the Orient Express if he wasn't.

Reactions: PMF

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I saw "And Then There Were None (1945)" and was shocked to see they changed some major plot points and tried to make it a happy ending.

I still don't know how I feel if they change major plot points for this one but I did not like what they did with "And Then There Were None (1945)". I read that Agatha Christie herself changed that ending. :)

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To me the book is the definitive version. It's like making "Romeo and Juliet" with a happy ending. The whole point is the ending. It's not "Romeo and Juliet" anymore.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I still don't know how I feel if they change major plot points for this one but I did not like what they did with "And Then There Were None (1945)". I read that Agatha Christie herself changed that ending. :)
That film and all subsequent films (not the TV version released a year or two ago) were all based on Agatha Christie's play version of her novel where there was a happy ending rather than the ending in the downbeat book. So, yes, Dame Agatha did change the ending to make the play more audience friendly, and the film producers went right along with that decision. She did that with many of her subsequent books-to-plays, too.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I like the trailer but I don't like the music to it. It doesn't fit.

Yeah, at first I was okay with it - as the camera dollys down the isle while naming the suspects along the way. But after Poirot's introduction and the scream/rap/whatever kicked in, they lost me.

Maybe it was marketing decision for the trailer alone and not actually a part of the film. I would hope.

Speaking of which... so Branagh decided to film this in 65mm (Panavision Super 70). Interesting choice for a movie where a lot of it takes place in the cramped quarters of train cars. Of course, I'm sure we'll get a lot of beautiful vista shots too.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm in. I liked the trailer. My only negative vibe if Brannaugh. The mustache is too big and I'm kinda used to Poirot mincing his words more. I'll go and give it a chance to win me over.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm looking forward to this. It's been a long time since A) Hollywood made a real murder mystery and B) there was an ensemble like this one. I'll reserve judgment on Branagh's Poirot until I see the movie.

I will always think of Peter Ustinov as Poirot, although not in Orient Express, sadly.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My fear is that the true Murder upon this Orient Express will be conducted unto its viewers.
Wish Branagh would deliver an original creation and stop it with the taking on of roles already established in prior films by his idols, who trained at the Old Vic (Olivier) and RADA (Finney); or at least do them better.
What's next? "Tom Jones", for goodness sake.:angry:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Kenneth Branagh's Poirot definitely looks different - almost as if Kurt Russell's character from The Hateful Eight wandered into the wrong picture :) [...].
...or even Wyatt Earp-ish, too.:lol:

O Emma, Where Art Thou?:cool:

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Overall, the trailer made this remake look interesting. There are not very many period drawing room type mystery films being made, so it is nice to see something like this surface once in awhile. The music at the end didn't bother me much; although, it was an odd choice for a period piece. It felt like it was tacked on to create appeal for a demographic that probably hardly knows who Poirot is, let alone Agatha Christie.

The thing that really did nothing for me was the Poirot reveal. The unkempt look of the character reminded me of Ustinov's turn at the character. The Poirot in the book never looked like an unkempt mess. And that giant handlebar mustache....no....just no. I'm sorry but Suchet owns the Poirot character and always will. His portrayal and look is so good that it was like Hercule Poirot stepped out of the pages of the book and right into real life. Nobody is ever going to top his performance of the character.

One thing I want to add is that she wrote a lot of Poirot books, so why they have to continually remake this one, instead of doing on of her other books, is beyond me.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At this particular moment in time, this particular story was probably chosen precisely because it was done before.

Right now, "brand recognition" seems to be the most important factor in getting a green light.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks