What's new

A few words about...™ - A Haunting in Venice -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've always enjoyed (and respected) Kenneth Branagh's work, and that continues with his (first?) three loose adaptations of the work of Agatha Christie.

A Haunting in Venice is viscerally quite different from the previous two - Murder on the Orient Express (2017) and Death on the Nile (2022), in that the earlier two were photographed using 65mm film, or a combination of 65mm and high resolution digital.

All three were shot by Harris Zambarloukos, and for the third he chose to go digital.

For those who may be unaware of Ms Christie, she was a writer of mysteries - who-done-its - and her most famous is probably And Then There Were None. One might presume that Mr. Branagh will eventually cover her entire output, which would be a good thing.

A Haunting in Venice, even though it was released as a 4k DCP, has arrived via Fox/Disney as "only" a Blu-ray, but that Blu-ray is of the first order. Colors, densities, all beautifully rendered, and nice blacks besides.

An intelligent, high-end piece of work, and great fun, in the mode of Knives Out - again for those who are unaware of Christie.

And now for the facts that everyone is awaiting. There's no mystery that Disney has created a wonderful slipcover for the First Edition.

Designed elegantly, with a matte finish, and inks set over a reflective background, creating an overall iridescent appearance, especially within the skyline of the upper quadrant of the obverse.

On top of that, the image is embossed on five or six levels, with the title logo set off higher than other areas, in pearlescent gold. I've requested that my corporate subsidiary, which sells rare home video packaging on eBay and other areas order five hundred copies. This could be part of the slipcover gold rush of 2023-24.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 7.5

Slipcover rating - 5

Highly Recommended

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched this in a movie theater and quite enjoyed it. I’m passing on the Blu-ray and will instead purchase the 4K/Dolby Vision and Atmos digital once it discounts to my desired price point.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
All three were shot by Harris Zambarloukos, and for the third he chose to go digital.
I'm not sure there was choice involved. I believe there was a mandate to reduce costs after the under-performance of Death on the Nile, and apparently digital is cheaper than film. Haunting cost $60 million while Death was closer to $100 million.

I'm also thinking this is the last Branagh/Christie film (at least with Fox/Disney), as the returns keep diminishing at the box office. This one made even less than Death. Its debut was as runner-up to the second weekend of The Nun II.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Haunting in Venice was also shot in 1.85:1 when the previous entries were shot 2.39:1.

Interestingly, Hulu has this in 4K but no HDR (and no Atmos - no surprise there).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
How ironic that the lowest grossing of Branagh's trio of Christie films was by far the best in terms of quality.
Possibly public saturation after the latest Knives Out. Loss of interest in Christie since her retirement?

All three are beautifully produced, entertaining films.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Saw it in the theater and quite enjoyed it.
Because nothing can compete with Finney and the gang in the original Murder on the Orient Express, and Death on the Nile was lacking, I felt this was Branagh's best Poirot.

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
I didn't care for Branagh's Orient Express, but I did enjoy Death on the Nile (even though it lacked the feel of an Agatha Christie story). I'm sure someday I will watch A Haunting in Venice, but I was extremely put off by the trailer. It seemed to be entirely unrelated to the source material (Hallowe'en Party), which was the very first Christie book I read. The only connection appears to be Hercule Poirot. However, it sounds like people are really enjoying it, so maybe I just have to go in to it with the mindset that it's a totally new story, as if based on a manuscript discovered by one of Christie's grandchildren in an old trunk.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I didn't care for Branagh's Orient Express, but I did enjoy Death on the Nile (even though it lacked the feel of an Agatha Christie story). I'm sure someday I will watch A Haunting in Venice, but I was extremely put off by the trailer. It seemed to be entirely unrelated to the source material (Hallowe'en Party), which was the very first Christie book I read. The only connection appears to be Hercule Poirot. However, it sounds like people are really enjoying it, so maybe I just have to go in to it with the mindset that it's a totally new story, as if based on a manuscript discovered by one of Christie's grandchildren in an old trunk.
There are also some characters and set-ups either directly from the book or suggested by the book as well as some plot turns "borrowed" from other of Mrs. Christie's output.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm sure someday I will watch A Haunting in Venice, but I was extremely put off by the trailer. It seemed to be entirely unrelated to the source material (Hallowe'en Party), which was the very first Christie book I read. The only connection appears to be Hercule Poirot. However, it sounds like people are really enjoying it, so maybe I just have to go in to it with the mindset that it's a totally new story, as if based on a manuscript discovered by one of Christie's grandchildren in an old trunk.
I nearly didn't see this film based on the trailer but I went anyway and loved it. It's as loosely based on "Hallowe'en Party" as it could possibly be, but a lot of fun and wonderfully atmospheric. Easily my favourite of the three Branagh Poirot films... I enjoyed "Orient Express" but thought "Desth on the Nile" was awful. David Suchet will always be the definitive Poirot for me.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Which trailer are you referring to? There are two trailers (that I'm aware of): the teaser/advance trailer and the regular theatrical trailer.. I'm partial to the teaser trailer, which BTW was a mystery all by itself: One doesn't even know its a Poirot film until its nearly over, as Branagh isn't seen until over 3/4ths of the way thru

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Yes, the first trailer sold it like just another jump-start horror movie. Fortunately, they wised up, but too late. This is easily the best of the three, and in a sane world would win an Oscar for Production Design, but apparently Disney won't even bother.

Speaking of Christie, does anyone know why Disney has yet to release SEE HOW THEY RUN on disc? I loved that picture!

riksco

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Scoginn
I like this one the least of the three. His Orient Express pales in comparison to the ‘74 version in my opinion and I rather actively dislike it. Death on the Nile fared better and I like it best of the three but again, the 70s version is better. Bette Davis, Maggie Smith, Angela Lansbury, Peter Ustinov? Come on now.

My main issue with all three is his portrayal of Poirot. I admit I’m no expert on the literary Poirot and only have other portrayals as a guide. I get that he is uber-fastidious and quirky, but is the whole tragic love story, battle-scarred face and comically overwrought mustache Christie’s invention or Branagh’s?

billO'

Stunt Coordinator
Suchet and Finney are the epitome' and template for the character of Hercule Poirot. Branagh's characterization veers slightly into detective-hero territory too much for my taste and is quite altered from Christie's sleuth. I hope Branagh's trilogy is the finish of his nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks