What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Mill Creek Licenses 250 Sony Titles (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
HOME MEDIA MAGAZINE: Minneapolis’ Mill Creek Entertainment has licensed 250 titles from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment for DVD and Blu-ray Disc distribution in the United States and Canada.The deal covers everything from the “Hostel” and “Hollow Man” franchises to classics such as Ship of Fools, Bonjour Tristesse, The Last Detail, Avalon,The Chase andAgnes of God. Many of the titles will see their first-ever Blu-ray release.“It’s a defining moment for Mill Creek Entertainment. The sun is shining over here on the home video business,” said Jeff Hayne, VP of content acquisition for Mill Creek. “We’re going to do a lot of things where we package titles together by star, like Jean-Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal, and in other cases we’ll do that by genre. That’s been our bread and butter with DVD for a long time, and now we get to do that with Blu-ray.”Mill Creek plans a first wave of releases included in the deal this fall. Hollywood Homicide, All the Pretty Horses and Saving Silverman are among the other well-known titles Mill Creek will release.“This treasure trove of SPHE films represents a watershed enhancement of our growing filmed entertainment catalog,” said Ian Warfield, president and COO of Mill Creek. “We are excited to work with the Sony Pictures Home Entertainment team to deliver this amazing line-up of star-filled titles for the enjoyment of an even broader audience of consumers.”

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Does this mean the deal with Image (now RLJ Entertainment) is off?

Geez, it seems everybody's releasing movies from Sony's back catalog except Sony themselves. Still, it's better than nothing, and maybe Mill Creek will keep the extras where they existed. And Sony's HD masters are quite good.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I think it's fantastic news, as it gets these out on Blu-ray whereas they might not have been through Sony. I know some people are going to bemoan that Mill Creek is somehow going to "ruin" the product, but I really don't think it should be an issue as I've been quite happy with the Blu-rays Mill Creek did with the Disney releases. The only problem was that they down-mixed a few of the 5.1 masters to 2.0 Dolby Surround. This shouldn't be an issue with the older movies.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I wonder how soon we'll know what the 250 titles are.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm dying for Ishtar :D
No, seriously, I'm only interested in cult films. HELLHOLE is a longshot but I suppose it's always possible. NOTLD "90 (which, at the risk of being verbally abused by fellow film buffs here, I must admit I enjoy more than the original) is a definite possibility and I hope a couple of titles, like CHRISTINE and THE BLOB '88, will still be considered for proper treatment from Columbia themselves. Mill Creek is very hit and miss (mostly miss).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Hopefully one day the director's cut of All the Pretty Horses (2000) will be released on DVD and/or Blu-ray. Was interested in seeing the film, back when it was released in cinemas, until I read it had been heavily cut.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I'm hoping they got those 90s GODZILLA movies Sony had.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Well, at least this rescues some of the later titles from, MOD Purgatory :)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
SWFF said:
I'm hoping they got those 90s GODZILLA movies Sony had. 
I'll 2nd that. The 5 early 90's films were all good, especially the King Ghidorah and Mothra ones but we need widscreen and stereo versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks