What's new

Sony's Missing Columbia Titles. (2 Viewers)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, Barabbas, Lord Jim & MacKenna’s Gold - do Sony still have a restoration department? And then there's The Victors & The Devil At 4 O'Clock (Frank Sinatra & Spencer Tracy!).

I bought the German Blu-ray of MacKenna's Gold in the end, an old transfer, but not looking too bad at all (whereas just forget the Barabbas Blu-ray).

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I'm still waiting for them to digitally remaster their remaining vintage 3-D titles. The ones they put out were among my favourite Twilight Time releases.

They have not done:

The Nebraskan(1953)
Fort Ti (1953)
Jesse James Vs the Daltons(1954)
Drums of Tahiti (1954)

2D only:
The Stranger Wore a Gun (1953)
Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983)

Kino and 3-D Film Archive put out titles like this year after year, and they always seem to do reliable numbers.

The last new Sony release was when Twilight Time put out Gun Fury(1954) in 2017.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Just looking along the line of DVDs on my shelf there are so many Sony titles missing on Blu-ray but the stand out is The Statement from 2003. I've streamed it a couple of times & it looks good.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
These are my main MIA Sony/Columbia titles:

And Now for Something Completely Different (wasn't this remastered years ago?)
I Never Sang for My Father (just received an Australian release through Imprint)
El padrecito (and the rest of the wonderful Columbia-Posa Films coproductions of Cantinflas films)
Lord Jim
The Man from Laramie (one of the great Anthony Mann/James Stewart westerns)

And while I have them from the UK "Ford at Columbia" box that Indicator put out, the US deserves to have The Whole Town's Talking (Ford screwball comedy with Edward G. Robinson), The Thin Gray Line, Gideon's Day, and The Last Hurrah back in print after the first and last title's limited runs with Twilight Time.

And of course, I'd love to see Three Stooges Blu-rays and the other Columbia comedy shorts. Their second UHD box set included a "sampler" disc with beautiful HD versions of several, as well as some animation.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I pine for THE BEDFORD INCIDENT. Kinda surprised it hasn't gone to Mill Creek by now.

Also, a whole bunch of titles from their DVD Sony Classics series:

BURNT BY THE SUN
LONE STAR
MEMORIES OF A KILLER
SWEET AND LOWDOWN
GARDEN OF THE FINZI-CONTINIS

Plus

LORD JIM
CALIFORNIA SPLIT
RICHARD PRYOR LIVE ON THE SUNSET STRIP
SILVER CITY

and and on...

Last edited:

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I pine for THE BEDFORD INCIDENT. Kinda surprised it hasn't gone to Mill Creek by now.

Also, a whole bunch of titles from their DVD Sony Classics series:

BURNT BY THE SUN
LONE STAR
MEMORIES OF A KILLER
SWEET AND LOWDOWN
GARDEN OF THE FINZI-CONTINIS

Plus

LORD JIM
CALIFORNIA SPLIT
RICHARD PRYOR LIVE ON THE SUNSET STRIP
SILVER CITY

and and on...

LONE STAR was Castle Rock and is now owned by Warners.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
LORD JIM is long overdue for a decent Blu-ray release, being a Super Panavision 70 production, and in theory it should look terrific, plus be a candidate for a 4K version, though that’s likely a pie in the sky want. MACKENNA’S GOLD, on the other hand, was a troubled, much revised final product from its intended roadshow presentation. The hack job editing reduced the notable supporting cast to little more than cameo walk ons, and it’s been subjected to additional trims of incidental nudity and such; even the laserdisc was far from ideal for the extant general release version. Presumably all that additional footage is lost, so we’ll never be treated to anything near the original intent. But the film, despite some risible earthquake effects toward the end, is a guilty pleasure, and deserves a decent release.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I Never Sang for My Father (just received an Australian release through Imprint)
El padrecito (and the rest of the wonderful Columbia-Posa Films coproductions of Cantinflas films)
Lord Jim

And while I have them from the UK "Ford at Columbia" box that Indicator put out, the US deserves to have The Whole Town's Talking (Ford screwball comedy with Edward G. Robinson), The Thin Gray Line, Gideon's Day, and The Last Hurrah back in print after the first and last title's limited runs with Twilight Time.

And of course, I'd love to see Three Stooges Blu-rays and the other Columbia comedy shorts. Their second UHD box set included a "sampler" disc with beautiful HD versions of several, as well as some animation.
The Man From Laramie is available on a Region B Blu-ray from Eureka. Nowadays it’s essential to have multi region players so as to have a wide choice of releases.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Man From Laramie is available on a Region B Blu-ray from Eureka. Nowadays it’s essential to have multi region players so as to have a wide choice of releases.
I was aware of the Eureka disc, but assumed it was out of print for some reason. Still, important title that deserves to be back in print here.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

Lord Jim

got a release from Twilight Time

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
These are some of the main titles I'm still waiting for U.S. releases on Blu-ray (at the bare minimum) from Sony:
  • You Were Never Lovelier (1942)
  • It Had To Be You (1947)
  • Tight Spot (1955)
  • Pennies From Heaven (1936)
  • Three For The Show (1955)
Plus there are a few Humphrey Bogart films (and I wouldn't mind them re-releasing a more official Beat The Devil since I missed out on the Twilight Time Blu-ray), and a few Lucille Ball films (if I'm remembering correctly). There are probably a few others that aren't coming to mind right now, but that's my list (4K UHD would be another matter entirely).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks