What's new

Sony's Missing Columbia Titles. (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A few days ago I re-watched Lost Command, a film originally released by Columbia and subsequently released again on DVD. The film has not yet come out on Blu-ray disc.

Sony have for the most part been diligent in releasing their titles in high definition. They provided Twilight Time with many extremely high quality masters, some of which have been used again by others on both sides of The Atlantic. They also created superb masters of Rita Hayworth films and of numerous crime movies, including several little-known B features. In addition they have released on their own label films like Pendulum, The Ugly Duckling, The Heroes Of Telemark and Count Three and Pray.

Nevertheless there are some puzzling omissions, Lost Command being one of them. The Violent Men is a good Western with a strong story, a dazzling cast and beautiful cinematography but no Blu-ray disc. Does anyone know why not? Strangers When We Meet with Kim Novak, Kirk Douglas, Ernie Kovacks, Walter Matthau and Barbara Rush is also not available. Alvarez Kelly, a good civil war Western with William Holden and Richard Widmark, is still awaiting Blu-ray vindication. There are also some Warwick films released by Columbia including No Time To Die (AKA Tank Force) and The Man Inside. Most famously, Lord Jim and Barabbas have also been neglected.

The Columbia catalog is not especially large and Sony have been willing to give a high definition releases to some pretty obscure films so their situation is not similar to those at Warners or Disney. Does anyone know if there is a problem with any of the MIA Columbia titles?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm still waiting for HD upgrades for The Devil At 4 O'Clock, Desperate Measures and The Forsaken - these are off the top of my head (I'm sure I'm forgetting others). Oh, and Central Station.

Columbia are an odd duck when it comes to physical media tbh. Kino made a licensing deal with Columbia which seems to have mostly fallen apart. Then there are the random titles Sony decide to release themselves that usually would've gone to a boutique label, like 976-Evil, which they gave special treatment to. That was about 3 years ago, with nothing similar since then. A strange one-off. Then there are those films which languish on DVD like the ones I mentioned above. I can't be the only one that wants those.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
You Were Never Lovelier was originally set to be released by Twilight Time, but apparently some rights issues popped up.

I'm still waiting.

Not sure what rights - the main score by Jerome Kern/Johnny Mercer was commissioned for the film, so I just assumed that Columbia owns those. Perhaps some of the Xavier Cugat band numbers are the issue.

Real Name
Avie
A few days ago I re-watched Lost Command, a film originally released by Columbia and subsequently released again on DVD. The film has not yet come out on Blu-ray disc.

Sony have for the most part been diligent in releasing their titles in high definition. They provided Twilight Time with many extremely high quality masters, some of which have been used again by others on both sides of The Atlantic. They also created superb masters of Rita Hayworth films and of numerous crime movies, including several little-known B features. In addition they have released on their own label films like Pendulum, The Ugly Duckling, The Heroes Of Telemark and Count Three and Pray.

Nevertheless there are some puzzling omissions, Lost Command being one of them. The Violent Men is a good Western with a strong story, a dazzling cast and beautiful cinematography but no Blu-ray disc. Does anyone know why not? Strangers When We Meet with Kim Novak, Kirk Douglas, Ernie Kovacks, Walter Matthau and Barbara Rush is also not available. Alvarez Kelly, a good civil war Western with William Holden and Richard Widmark, is still awaiting Blu-ray vindication. There are also some Warwick films released by Columbia including No Time To Die (AKA Tank Force) and The Man Inside. Most famously, Lord Jim and Barabbas have also been neglected.

The Columbia catalog is not especially large and Sony have been willing to give a high definition releases to some pretty obscure films so their situation is not similar to those at Warners or Disney. Does anyone know if there is a problem with any of the MIA Columbia titles?
Why no Sony Blu-ray of "Sahara" with Humphrey Bogart? It's Bogart, for cryin' out loud and, as far as I know, was the actor's favorite among all his films.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
In addition to some of the above mentioned titles, I would love to see a Blu-ray of The Mouse that Roared, which I believe is still with Sony unless something changed.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes

Strangers When We Meet...one of my favorites!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Strangers When We Meet with Kim Novak, Kirk Douglas, Ernie Kovacks, Walter Matthau and Barbara Rush is also not available.
Strangers When We Meet...one of my favorites!
I stand to be corrected but I believe the rights to Strangers When We Meet has reverted to the Kirk Douglas estate. It was produced by Douglas's Bryna productions and Columbia was merely its distributor.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
A lot of great titles already mentioned...last year's passing of the great Sidney Poitier had me thinking about how great a Blu-ray of the Korean War film All the Young Men (1960) would be...filmed at spectacular wintertime Glacier National Park in 1959, with Alan Ladd, Sidney Poitier, James Darren, Glenn Corbett, Paul Richards and offbeat casting like boxer Ingemar Johansson and comedian Mort Sahl...I understand it's on Apple TV, and has shown on TCM in the past...but I'm a physical media holdout.
1692166329724.png

Last edited:

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
A NIGHT TO REMEMBER (1942)
THE 30 FOOT BRIDE OF CANDY ROCK (1959)
ELEANOR, FIRST LADY OF THE WORLD (1982)
BLOODHOUND OF BROADWAY (1989)
MRS. WINTERBOURNE (1996)

Dr. Lejos

Agent
Real Name
Rick
I guess there’s hope with Sony since they now seem to have a yearly 4K box which appears around Christmastime … and last time added some bonus features with heretofore unavailable titles like YOU CAN’T RUN AWAY FROM IT and LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE (originally a RKO release which they apparently control now). Anyway, a few of the titles mentioned above have been released in other regions … not always restored prints, but are out there for desperate collectors with multi-region players.

MACKENNA’S GOLD. Germany.
SAHARA. France (forced French subtitles)
MOUSE THAT ROARED. Australia. All region Umbrella release/available thru some U.S. sellers.
PEPE. Spain. unfortunately cropped to 1.85:1, but quite definitely 1080p/all region.
30 FT. BRIDE OF CANDY ROCK. U.S. release in Mill Creek’s “Sci-fi from the Vault” set.
TALK OF THE TOWN. Spain. apparently licensed by Sony.
IT HAPPENED TO JANE. Germany.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks