What's new

Cocktail Hour (1933) coming from Sony - 3/19/24 (1 Viewer)

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
According to Dawn of the Discs, Sony is releasing COCKTAIL HOUR (1933) on Blu-ray on March 19.

An Amazon product page is up but pre-orders aren't being taken yet.

I don't believe this Bebe Daniels/Randolph Scott film has ever been released on any home video format, so that alone makes the release a big win.

It looks like Sony restored it a few years ago and showed it at a TCM Festival. Other than that and maybe a sporadic airing on TCM, it seems like this film has been pretty hard if not impossible to see.

Hopefully, Sony will start mining more of their obscure 1930s titles for home release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wish some of you pay more attention to our Amazon Pre-Order Listing.

Cocktail Hour (Allied Vaughn)

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Well, in any case I hope this might portend more releases of early-'30s Columbia rarities such as 1932's The Menace (an early entry in Bette Davis' career) and 1933's Night of Terror (a nice 35mm print aired on the GetTV channel many years ago) and Fog (a print resides at the Library of Congress).

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Well, in any case I hope this might portend more releases of early-'30s Columbia rarities such as 1932's The Menace (an early entry in Bette Davis' career) and 1933's Night of Terror (a nice 35mm print aired on the GetTV channel many years ago) and Fog (a print resides at the Library of Congress).

Sony's pressed MOD line seems to operate with no rhyme or regular schedule but everyone once in a while, they'll release something really unexpected and appreciated, like this and 1937's Murder in Greenwich Village a couple years ago. Those titles you mentioned would be welcomed too.

Unless it's related to Capra, Columbia's 1930s output has largely been shunned on Blu-ray. Even The Three Stooges shorts, somehow, have never received a Blu release.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger

Don't hold your breath for THE MENACE. Columbia lost the rights years ago back to the Wallace estate.

As for the others: They had zero interest in putting stuff like this out even 15 years ago when I was there. I tried to set up a sub-license deal with VCI and they shot that down as well. And there are still Oscar-winners they haven't released. This strikes me as a fluke...unless they have new people in there who--as I did--have an interest in titles like these and understand it's a retail business.

JayDomK

Auditioning
Real Name
Jayden
I wish some of you pay more attention to our Amazon Pre-Order Listing.

Cocktail Hour (Allied Vaughn)

I don't quite get it. This is currently unavailable, but will be available if you get the right number of orders. Or what?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't quite get it. This is currently unavailable, but will be available if you get the right number of orders. Or what?
Amazon links rarely show up already active ready to use. It can take several days or even weeks before their links become active for you to order from. Unfortunately, it's been that way for years.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Sony's pressed MOD line seems to operate with no rhyme or regular schedule but everyone once in a while, they'll release something really unexpected and appreciated, like this and 1937's Murder in Greenwich Village a couple years ago. Those titles you mentioned would be welcomed too.

Unless it's related to Capra, Columbia's 1930s output has largely been shunned on Blu-ray. Even The Three Stooges shorts, somehow, have never received a Blu release.
Three Stooges: Yes they have on Blu Ray as extras on some Powerhouse Columbia sets. I have them. Lots more to go, though.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Caught this on its TCM debut a little over a year ago. If I get the blu, it won't be because of the two lead characters, who are both a bit annoying. I'd get it instead for Muriel Kirkland, a really marvelous character actress who always seems to deliver the goods, whether here or in "To the Last Man" (1933-Par) or "Little Man, What Now?" (1934-Univ) or whatever. Too bad she didn't stick around longer in Hollywood.

Lots of Columbia fare from this era that I like, and would love on blu. Titles that similarly haven't made it to disc before, like "Final Edition" (1932), "Fury of the Jungle" (1934), "Counterfeit" (1936), "By Whose Hand?" (1932) and such. Not to mention, my most wanted Buck Jones western, "Desert Vengeance" (1931). Columbia made a lot of fun movies back then, when they'd still barely clawed their way out of poverty-row.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Caught this on its TCM debut a little over a year ago. If I get the blu, it won't be because of the two lead characters, who are both a bit annoying. I'd get it instead for Muriel Kirkland, a really marvelous character actress who always seems to deliver the goods, whether here or in "To the Last Man" (1933-Par) or "Little Man, What Now?" (1934-Univ) or whatever. Too bad she didn't stick around longer in Hollywood.

Lots of Columbia fare from this era that I like, and would love on blu. Titles that similarly haven't made it to disc before, like "Final Edition" (1932), "Fury of the Jungle" (1934), "Counterfeit" (1936), "By Whose Hand?" (1932) and such. Not to mention, my most wanted Buck Jones western, "Desert Vengeance" (1931). Columbia made a lot of fun movies back then, when they'd still barely clawed their way out of poverty-row.
I want a box-set of Rita Hayworth's Columbia B features!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks