What's new

"Memento" director to do new "BATMAN" (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
oscar_merkx wrote (post #12):

Risk management. This decision, if and when it is arrived at, will be a bet on the "franchise", not just a single motion picture. It's a(n at least) half-billion-dollar bet.

Hence, the glacial motion and a lot of back-tracking.

Bruce_S

Second Unit
I enjoyed the first two movies directed by Christopher Nolan: Memento and Insomnia. I'm looking forward to see what he can do w/Batman. It's a totally different genre for him w/Batman and I'm confident he will do a good job. I think, movies studios are doing a good job of getting directors that grew up with these comic characters such as Sam Raimi (Spidey). I guess, we'll see how "The Daredevil" turns out soon.

Maybe, Batman will go seven 7 days w/o sleep and kick ass! hehe

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I thought Spiderman was great but definitely had some more potential. Not enough smart alec remarks from Spidey (can only remember a couple offhand towards the JJ/GG scene), and not enough web-slinging. And the last fight scene was weak! :)

Back on-topic, I think Nolan will take more a mysterious dark approach to Batman, as Burton did, but I'm wondering how he'll take on Bruce's playboy-ness and flashiness of being Batman. And how will the car look? Hopefully nothing like the last two that looked like a souped up Honda.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Tim Burton is my favorite director and everyone agrees the 1st 2 Batmans were the best, so why do you think he's not doing anymore? His decision or the producers'?
Burton was pressured out of doing any more Batman movies after critics and parents groups complained that his Batman movies were too dark and disturbing for young children to watch, and after Batman Returns "only" made something like $160 million or so instead of the $250 million the first one made.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The only problem I see with casting someone like Christian Bale is that if Robin is still around, Batman needs to look like he's aging.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Real quick question: was Frank Miller the one who made Batman the "Dark Knight" he is? Cause quite frankly, I've seen some old comic books, and I have no clue how the Batman television series arrived at it's campy nature in the 60's.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
You could almost use all of the cast from "That 70's Show" for a Superman movie.
With that in mind..... :)

Clark Kent/Superman -- Michael Kelso
Lois Lane -- Jackie Burkhardt
Lex Luthor -- Red Forman
Miss Tessmacher -- Kitty Forman
Brainiac -- Steven Hyde
Jimmy Olson -- Eric Forman
Lana Lang -- Donna Pinciotti
Bizarro -- Fes

The strange thing is -- besides the fact that I seem to know the full names of all the main characters of this show -- is that this could totally work. Bizarro Fes? Come on!!

"Me said bad day!!"

Personally, I'd like to see Curtis Hanson do a Batman movie as a period piece. Reuniting much of the cast of LA Confidential: Guy Pearce as Batman, James Cromwell as Commissioner Gordon, Russell Crowe as The Joker (less flamboyant, more sadistic), Kevin Spacey as Harvey Dent/Two-Face. Danny Devito and Kim Basinger could reprise their original roles. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tim Burton is my favorite director and everyone agrees the 1st 2 Batmans were the best, so why do you think he's not doing anymore? His decision or the producers'?
While Burton's Batman has been the best so far, it's not really a faithful adaptation of the character either. I'm hoping that we get a vision of Batman that shows the three dimensional side of Gotham City and the acrobatic grace of the Dark Night. Lose the rubber suit, for one thing. Keep the cape and cowl, which were dead on.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
First off i just need to bring up
So will we see Batman in the prime of his career first and slowly work our way backwards, to him as the kid in the alley again?
Aren't we forgetting the tatoo on Bruce Wayne's chest that reads "Jack N. shot and killed my parents"? :D

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Nolan is a solid choice, but I've learned to not put much hope in these. WB will just scrap it like they've done to the last half dozen or so Batman projects.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I like Nolan, but seeing how Aronofsky's project is either dead or delayed, I don't have much enthusiasm for another Batman. That being said, if I had to make a second choice, Nolan would probably be it.

Bruce

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
While Burton's Batman has been the best so far, it's not really a faithful adaptation of the character either.
I agree. There are maybe a few parts of Burton's movies that I like, but as an overall adaptation of the character, I don't think Burton's movies succeed.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The characteristic that always fascinated me about the denny O'neil characterization of Batman, and what the movies ignore, is that of Batman as the Master Detective. Sure watching Bats kick Ass is great but if you can balance that with the detective part of bats it would be great

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
i've been a huge batman fan for over a decade, and the movies have really disappointed me. the first was pretty good, but that's it (I will never forgive Joel S. for what he did to all the characters in "Batman and Robin"). i second the comments above about the rubber suit (BATMAN SHOULD NOT EVER WEAR A RUBBER SUIT!!!) and the detective nature of his character. The batman animated shows, and especially Mask of the Phantasm, are MUCH better.
I'm hoping and praying that any future movie will be more like the animated series, or the Frank Miller batman from year one.
Christian Bale would be an excellent choice to play bats/Wayne. I think Pierce could do it as well.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Hmm... I like the LA Confidential tie-in, but how about Russell Crowe as Batman? Just think of the intensity of Officer Bud White in a bat suit...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'd considered Crowe, but if you wanted a "franchise" of Batman films, you'd want to go younger, thus my suggestion for someone like Christian Bale. Plus, Crowe just doesn't exude the air of "debonair" you need as playboy millionaire Bruce Wayne.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
Burton's first Batman movie doesn't ignore the detective aspect of the character. It shows him discovering the secret of the Joker's "smilex" gas, linking the Joker to Jack Napier, and discovering the Joker's plot to gas the citizens of Gotham at the parade.

Perhaps it's because I haven't read the comic books, but I like Batman's costume in the first movie. Burton's Gotham is dark, gritty, and dangerous. If Batman is going to be going up against guys with guns, he needs a bullet-proof suit. And I don't think it makes Batman look awkard or immobile. It's appropriate for his no-nonsense, "take 'em down with one hit" style of fighting.

The movie isn't perfect, but as far as superhero movies go it's one of the best. As for the sequels -- the less said about them, the better.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If Batman is going to be going up against guys with guns, he needs a bullet-proof suit.
He shouldn't need one, though, that's the point. He's fast and he's graceful. The cape is kevlar, so that's bulletproof, and that combined with him whipping through the air makes it near impossible to get a damaging shot in. He should be like a phantom, using fear and smoke and mirrors as well as kick ass fighting. And one would imagine he does get shot, it's happened before in the comics. It cements that fact that he, unlike so many superheros, is a normal human being under the cape and cowl.

I always pictured him as the kind that swoops down and has them all disarmed and on the ground before he hits the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks