What's new

Matrix in DTS (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well I guess i am not supprised that my letter to WB went unanswered, lmao. I had written them asking if there where any plans to re-release this title in DTS as a SE? And to request other movies in DTS. I guess we will never see The Matrix in DTS ever other than when it was first in the theater :frowning: . Does anyone agree that this movie deserves a DTS track? Supposedly more studios are backing DTS but where are the DTS titles to reflect this? I just want to watch The Matrix in DTS.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Dave, Warner has stated that it has no plans to support DTS. Meanwhile, enjoy those great DD 5.1 tracks on Warner discs (and The Matrix packs a wallop in this department).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'll add to what Jack said by relating what someone with "inside info" told me: That Warner engineers listened to DD and DTS soundtracks made from the same master and concluded there was no difference. I know a lot of people don't like to hear that, but that's what they concluded.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
To me that is just an exuses not to offer it and does not explain why they released three Lethal Weapon movies in DTS if they do not support it? I am not aruging with you Jack but just bringing this up. I thought I had read somewhere that a few more studios where going to back DTS but not very many movies are seeing the light of day in DTS. And Dolby Digital does not cut it for many movies. Not that there are not a few movies in Dolby that dont sound good. They will put anything in Dolby Digital. But I still would like to see The Matrix in DTS just the same.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
To me that is just an exuses not to offer it and does not explain why they released three Lethal Weapon movies in DTS if they do not support it?
The comparison I mentioned with the Warner engineers was done after they put out the Lethal Weapon movies on DTS (for marketing purposes). They listened, they compared, and they decided it wasn't worth doing anymore.

That's not what you want to hear, but that's how it is.

Craig W

Second Unit
I would like to add a little to RobertR's comment.

WB re-released severeral movies to DVD in 2000(I believe) with full bitrate dts and 448kbs Dolbly Digital, the maximum Dolby can do with DVD. There was very little difference with these tracks that were from the same master. But Warner also went from its usually 384kbs to 448kbs for the Dolby track on these discs. After those discs Warner went back to 384kbs and has only done one title, HP and the Sorcerer's Stone, with 448kbs since while most every other studio uses 448kbs for 5.1 Dolby tracks.

I find this more disturbing than not releasing titles with dts. It's not just the bitrate, its the codec algorithm. One has to admire Dolby for its quality with such a low bitrate.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
That Sucks :thumbsdown:

Yes I have noticed that when I am playing dvds I bring up the window that displays the audio transfer rate. And as far as the cutting of bit rate I too am disturbed that they would lower the bit rate further. I am supprised that they get the level of sound they get at such a low bitrate but some movies seem to have certain freq boosted to make them sound better overall. There are a few titles that I would not have bothered putting out in DTS like Jaws and the original Gone In 60 Seconds. And there are one or two titles I would agree that sound close or identicle to Dolby but most movies IMHO sound much better in DTS.

WB Give Us The Matrix In DTS ! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Craig W

Second Unit
Dave,

The reason you don't see dts much anymore especially the full bitrate version is because its a spacehog.

I think that dts should have pressed the studios to keep doing separate releases for titles with their codec. It would have allowed them to differentiate their system in the consumers' eyes.

I am not a big fan of having both dts and DD on the same disc because dts eats up more bitrate that could be allocated to the video.

FOTR: EE for example has dts, DD5.1EX, DD2.0 surround, and four DD2.0 commentaries (which should have been DD1.0 to save room for picture quality).

dts ---- 754kbs
DD5.1EX ---- 448kbs
DD2.0 ---- 192kbs
Commentaries ---- 4 * 192kbs = 768kbs

To me here is a title that although looks very good could have been even better. dts and DD5.1 are basically redundant. Get rid of one. DD2.0 should be left so the 5.1 tracks do not have to be compromised. The four commentaries should have been in DD1.0 to save more bitrate room for the video. As it is now four commentary tracks take up about the same amount of bandwidth as a single halfrate dts track.

In its current form, the possible audio tracks take up over 20%, 2162kbs to be exact, of the possible bitrate for DVD. If dts was left off and the commentaries were reduced to DD1.0 (96kbs) then only about 10% would be used for audio and 90% could be allocated to the video.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I am supprised that they get the level of sound they get at such a low bitrate
It's the same bitrate (384kb/ps) used on all DD LD tracks, including some (The Matrix, Saving Private Ryan, Phantom Menace) that are routinely cited as some of the very best soundtracks out there, period.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If that's true, how come they released American Outlaws and Robin Hood: SE with DTS?
This has been covered many times: Those are Morgan Creek productions (as was True Romance). Morgan Creek produces the DVDs; Warner distributes. Morgan Creek (like New Line, another AOL/TW sub) does not share Warner's policy on DTS tracks.

M.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Honestly...I dont really notice all that much differnce if any on DVD's with DTS and DD...and I'd gladly take a better transfer over DTS anyday...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If WB did DTS for titles, it would be just as much as other studios use it.... on selected titles.

The big problem is that WB only does 2-disc editions when really needed. I think WB would rather have full bitrate DTS rather than using halfrate. However, that reduces bitrate for the video and for extras space.

The Matrix would VERY much be a likely title to get DTS if they tried to do more. However, it would be assigned pretty much only to new releases.

You're not going to see DVD's that have already been done well like Superman, Amadeus, and Dirty Harry re-released in DTS. Warner does special editions of already-released titles very sparingly (and 99% of the time for a good reason) so I don't see why they should re-release anything for DTS only.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I don't see why they should re-release anything for DTS only.
I do. For sales. If they re-released superman, amadeus, etc. with DTS, preferably full bitrate DTS with no extra's, I would rebuy them. I'm willing to bet a lot of others would also.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I do. For sales. If they re-released superman, amadeus, etc. with DTS, preferably full bitrate DTS with no extra's, I would rebuy them. I'm willing to bet a lot of others would also.
Think of the Superbit DVDs. Are they big sellers? Probably not... but they appeal to buffs. If a DTS edition came along for the two titles you mentioned, those with the current editions are going to feel cheated.

Craig W

Second Unit
I would also agree that there really is not much of difference. That's the reason on many titles I would like to see only one 5.1 track whether it be DD or dts since in my eyes its basically redundant and I have a pretty good system, not high end but not low end either.

It is not just the bitrate, but the codec algorithm. Dolby has been around a lot longer than dts in the audio game. Dolby knows how to engineer products. When the time came to create a system for high quality surround system in a tiny bandwidth, they did a marvelous job.

Does anyone know why 448kbs is the maximum? Some early Sony DVD players where able to pass 640kbs DD, but its not part of the DVD spec. Most DVD players cannot send the higher rate DD signal. Any decoder or receiver with the Dolby Digital logo is capable of decoding the 640kbs Dolby tracks. I am curious why the DVD forum limited DD to 448kbs.

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
As much of a DTS fan that I am, I also know that Warner has said that they have no interest in producing more DTS titles (I think that was during an HTF chat a while ago, if memory serves).

I'd love to see a DTS edition of The Matrix, but I don't think that it'll happen. So I'd rather see an edition with a better transfer. I don't know if it's the age of the transfer (which really isn't that old) or the way the film was made, but I don't think that The Matrix transfer is good at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks