What's new

Matrix in DTS (1 Viewer)

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about movies, but in music, DTS has always sounded better to me. The difference is subtle but noticeable. DD tracks sound more compressed, like an mp3 file, and dts sound cleaner and slightly fuller. After reading this thread, I went and re-listened to a few dts/dd music dvd using a RS SPL meter and, still think DTS sounds better.(I have 15+ dts enabled music/concerts dvds) I think this has more to do with the bitrates used instead of the respective formats used. DD does sound pretty good if you consider the DTS bit rates were 2x that of DD. Some were even 4x.

I guess when your talking about compressed formats, there a point of diminishing returns. With an mp3 file, most people agree that 192kbps is the sweet spot for keeping the original audio quality. The difference is minimal with bitrate higher then that.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
If anything DTS should sound worse because DTS is a lossy compression whereas PCM (regular audio CD) has no compression whatsoever.
Sorry, I was comparing DD to DTS and not to a regular music cd. I'm assuming both audio streams were encoded using the same masters. To me, with 5.1 music, audio quality is more important the sound placement. With DTS lower compression ratio, it's audio quality should be better then DD. IMO, that why DTS will always sound better then the DD counter part in music applications. I haven't watch enough DTS enable movies to comment on the movie side of things.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hello Bjørn Olav Nyberg

Thanks for the link for The Rock review at DVDFILE. I would agree that even though the Criterian LD sound good. And that the dvd's DD track is a little more agresive than its LD counterpart. I feel that the dvd release sounds baked or should I say it sounds altered to enhance the overall sound. Even though The Rock may be one of the best DD tracks out I still listen to it in DTS.

Nice DD Tracks
The Rock
Tomorow Neve Dies
U-571

Dam it would be nice to have the Matrix in DTS. I would also like to see a few 007 movies in DTS as well. How many of you would buy The Matrix in DTS if it was released in that format? I can only hope that DTS will still be available on HD-DVD when it is released here in the states. As far as movies that are released on that format. I continue to prefer DTS for all my future dvd purchases now and in the future. I may just end up liking DD if they improve it and raise it to the level of DTS. Or if they can raise it a level about DTS at some point in the future?

POLL

Would you purchase another copy of The Matrix if it was offered in DTS? Even if it was a DTS only version.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I would repurchase the Matrix only if a DTS track were added. Better yet, dump the extras and give me anamaphoric widescreen with full bitrate DTS. I would pay a higher than normal price for such a beast. Maybe they could even get rid of that pesky green tint through the film this time :)

David Judah

Screenwriter
However, this is still the case that DTS uses a master that more to our liking
Unfortunately, we rarely have access to that kind of information as consumers, so we don't know in which titles it is the case. Naturally, a good comparison cannot be made if everything was not the same at the point of encoding. One title we do know was exactly the same, according to the provider, is Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature."

DJ

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
I'd like to see The Matrix in DTS as well (and for those who are so insistent on the mix being the problem), a DECENT MIX of The Matrix in DTS, DD or friggin' OGG Vorbis if it sounds better.
Those that think the current dvd sounds perfectly fine couldn't have heard the LD at all. The DD track on the dvd sounds like a weak 2.0 compared to both the PCM track and DD track on the Laserdisc.
No I've not compared them blind (I was rather sober actually!), but I have heard them within 5 mins of each other on my setup and to not hear a difference the listener would have to be deaf, the difference is that dramatic.
Sometimes I think some people must have no hearing below 40hz, or lack the spatial processing to hear a cohesive soundfield. I'm not trying to be an elitist, but we do all have varied physical abilities.
I can feel the heat from the flames already, but I don't particulary give a shit. I'm entitled to my opinion as is everyone else on this forum. What I don't like is all the hearsay and misinformation that is being thrown around lately, like this:
'I heard some guy's cousin did a blind test and guess what? He picked Dolby!!!' ... lol

David Susilo

Screenwriter
What I don't like is all the hearsay and misinformation that is being thrown around
misinformation?

So...

Dolby and DTS uses the same codec so bitrate comparison matters?

Dolby and DTS uses the same mix so any comparison matters?

Comparing Dolby and DTS at different theatres, on different days, with different number of audience, the result is valid?

Wow, I guess although I was a sound engineer that was part of a DTS vs. Dolby comparison done by Sony Indonesia in 1996, I really don't know what I'm talking about huh?

Okay fine. DTS good Dolby bad. Happy?

PS: why were you watching the LD of The Matrix anyways? sooooo passe!

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
David, did I single you out? NO!!!
Did I say that EVERYTHING said here was hearsay and misinformation... NO!!!!
Did you even read my post? APPARENTLY NOT!!!
Let me quote my own post in case you can't be bothered to scroll up:
I'd like to see The Matrix in DTS as well (and for those who are so insistent on the mix being the problem), a DECENT MIX of The Matrix in DTS, DD or friggin' OGG Vorbis if it sounds better.
Let me translate:
I want a decent copy of The Matrix on dvd... if that means it being in DTS or the same mix as the LD encoded in DD I don't give a rats ass as long as it sounds better than the weak ass mix that is currently on dvd.

Why you in particular took my post so personally I do not know.
I was expecting flames... not flaming thread farts.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The DVD copy of the Matrix has been remixed and compromised so that 2 channel or even mono playback will not be harmed. If a 2.0 track was provided for this like other companies do, I'm sure it'd sound every bit as good as the LD.

Again, it is the mix that is compromised here, NOT inherent codec issues. I agree that DTS does a better job with rendering music and concerts. There is definately a more tightly defined high end when using the same mix (even at half-bitrate, I definately find the Cranberries DTS to be a noticeable improvement), but for movie soundtracks, the difference is negligable unless different mixes are utilized.

As far as LOTR goes, I highly suspect that he DD 5.1 track is the near-field redo, while the DTS track is a direct port from the theatrical. I do not have reliable sources to back me up on that, but the DTS matches my theatrical experience closely while the DD does not

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
but I have heard them within 5 mins of each other on my setup and to not hear a difference the listener would have to be deaf, the difference is that dramatic.
Sometimes I think some people must have no hearing below 40hz, or lack the spatial processing to hear a cohesive soundfield. I'm not trying to be an elitist, but we do all have varied physical abilities.
I can feel the heat from the flames already, but I don't particulary give a shit. I'm entitled to my opinion as is everyone else on this forum. What I don't like is all the hearsay and misinformation that is being thrown around lately, like this:
'I heard some guy's cousin did a blind test and guess what? He picked Dolby!!!' ... lol
The funny thing is you not even some guy's cousin here[of the people who posted here]yet you don't find your rant a "heresay" in comparison?
I know this might be a shock for you,but some of us do wanna know why there are differences,other then anecdotes.Yes you're entitled to your opinion,but some factuality to back it up wouldn't hurt.As it has been said the DD on the Matrix DVD was modified to allow the players to downconvert to less amount of channels,yes this will make the mix different from the unaltered one on the LD,these are facts.Would this make the DVD sound like a 2.0? That's a matter of a opinion,not fact.This has nothing to do of people's hearing,but more of prefference,as we have no access to the original master for reference,and theaters don't count as such.
Oh BTW can you recommend a hearing test to evaluate my "spatial processing"?
I know I can hear well below 40hz:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks