What's new

Marilyn Monore fans - living for the moment? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
For the longest time we Marilyn Monroe fans have wanted her classic movies on DVD. With 20th Fox release of the two Diamond collections, it seems that these same fans have become complacent?

I have asked in another thread what is the best version of "Home Town Story" to get and absolutely no one answered! Is this the way things have become... people who live for the moment? I mean I have seen other similar situations (not Marilyn related) where people will write thread after thread, start petition letters, and rant and rave to get a movie on DVD. Once it is released the subject simply dies and many times can't even get a rise from a new post. Does everyone "live for the moment" where when a movie is released on DVD it is forgotten about?

There are several Marilyn Monroe movies I would love to see on DVD such as "Ladies of the Chorus", "Clash by Night", "Dangerous Years", "O'Henrys Full House", "Right Cross", "The Fireball" and "A Ticket to Tomahawk". Also missing is the Rock Hudson movie/documentary that came out after her death simply called "Marilyn".

What gives?

Eric

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I would love to see "O'Henrys Full House", and "A Ticket to Tomahawk in dvd.
But first I think Fox should release a Betty Grable collection, as well as a collection with Alice Faye and Sonja Henie. Despite their importance in Fox history, these 3 movie stars are simply ignored by the studio when it comes to dvd releases.
Come on Fox, we need Down Argentine Way, Moon Over Miami, Footlight Serenade, Springtime in the Rockies, The Dolly Sisters, Pin Up Girl, Mother Wore Tights, In Old Chicago, Sing Baby, Sing, Rose of Washington Square, Tin Pan Alley, That Night in Rio, Lillian Russell, Weekend in Havana, The Gang's All Here, Hello Frisco, Hello, One in a Million, Thin Ice, Happy Landing, Second Fiddle, Sun Valley Serenade, as well as others musical from these period starred by these 3 leading ladies.
Not to mention others Fox musicals from that era that didn't find yet their way to dvd, as Margie, Three Little Girls in Blue and Centennial Summer.
But, what's more important, with restored copies, and glamorous Technicolor (for the movies filmed in color). Because to release a dvd in the same way Fox did with Cheaper buy the dozen and Belles on their toes (that looks awful)is simply a waste of time.
So, I really want more Marilyn movies on dvd, but first we need to have other movies released from stars that are not well represented in this media, if not at all.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
RafaelPires

Actually, two of the above titles aren't even 20th Fox.

"Ladies of the Chorus" is Columbia and "Clash by Night" is RKO.

If we can just get those studios to get off their ass and release these two films (believe Warner has the rights to RKO), then we will be just that much more closer to having a full collection of Marilyn works!

(Columbia and Warner, I mean that in a sincere way :) )

Eric

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
"Marilyn", the Rock Hudson hosted documentary I saw at a very young age and have been in love with Marilyn ever since. It was a perfect tribute, with all the best scenes from her films. I think it was originally released by Fox theatrically. Would LOVE this on DVD, also Clash By Night is long over due!

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

It's just a matter of time for the Fox titles. Although it didn't label them as part of the previous two Diamond Collections, Fox released its annual wave of Marilyn DVDs this year: As Young as You Feel, Love Nest, Let's Make It Legal and We're Not Married! The others will come in due time.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I am a Marilyn fan also, but I think she has been more than decently repreasented on DVD. I personally want more Elizabeth Taylor, but she has also had her share of DVD releases, and it looks like that will continue for the future. As for "living for the moment" sure, when the title is out no one is going to discuss in depthly. There are still so many films that need to see the light of day, and many that never will unfortunately.

Andy

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
This CinemaScope documentary includes a 2.35:1 version of Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friends that was shot at the request of Darryl Zanuck during the making of GPB to showcase the new scope process. Last I heard, there was a lawsuit by (I think) the Monroe estate that blocked that documentary over rights for the use of some of the clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks