What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Clash by Night – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If folks were to read original views from 1952, they might never find this superb noir, directed by Fritz Lang for RKO.

And that wouldn't be a good thing, as they'd be missing something special.

Transplanted from Staten Island to Monterey, California, this black and white delicacy, shot by Nicholas Musuraca (Out of the Past, The Spiral Staircase) is one of the most beautifully rendered films I've seen take from OCN to Blu-ray.

Had I been told that I was viewing 4k HDR, I wouldn't have doubted it for a moment. Film grain is perfectly rendered, and blacks glisten.

Interesting in that in the original play (Clifford Odets), the role of Mae Doyle was played by Tallulah Bankhead - about 180 degrees from Miss Stanwyck. Her supporting cast is likewise superb - Paul Douglas, Robert Ryan and Marilyn Monroe in an early credited performance, only 2 months after All About Eve, and well in advance of that film's release.

Clash by Night has always reminded me (in an odd way) of post-war Italian realism, as the day to day environment is so important to the overall texture of the film. And by that I mean you can smell the seafood.

While I normally don't review product this far in advance, I wanted HTF readers to be aware that the forthcoming release (it's about a month away) is probably going to sell out quickly once word hits the street that it looks like a new 35mm OCN print right out of the lab, and just off cores.

My advice on this one is to get in a a pre-order, or wait for the second printing.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works in projection - Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Without a doubt!!

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Wow! Wasn’t expecting a review of this so soon. This is a Lang film I’ve yet to see so your review definitely has my interest piqued.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’m not surprised this Blu-ray looks that good based on the following:

NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative!
It's not only that. The scan is only the beginning.

It's the work of the colorist and everyone else who touched the project down the line.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Based on this review, I've done a blind pre-order from the link above on this title. It's encouraging to learn that even a few OCNs from the RKO library exist.

clash by night.jpeg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Based on this review, I've done a blind pre-order from the link above on this title. It's encouraging to learn that even a few OCNs from the RKO library exist.

View attachment 181073
In my experience, several of the Warner Archive Blu-rays of RKO titles are among their very best quality discs, On Dangerous Ground being a prime example. Some of us, for that reason, are hoping desperately that the Benedict Bogeaus produced movies are now owned by Warner.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Just watched my new blu-ray of Clash by Night, and I thought it was a gripping drama, enhanced by the excellent picture quality. Enjoyed the establishing scenes of Monterey, maybe especially because I've been there more than a few times over the years. I'd never seen Paul Douglas before, and thought he was impressive. Poignant to read that he passed away just seven years after this movie was made. Like several people here, I've been a fan of Barbara Stanwyck's work for many years. By chance, just before watching this movie I was reading director Mervyn LeRoy's memoir, and was happy to read this passage on page 166, where LeRoy talks about working with Stanwyck on one of his movies with several other big stars:

"They were all pleasant and capable people; but, of them all, Miss Stanwyck was the easiest. I suppose, if you took a vote among old-timers on Hollywood crews for the most popular star, she would win the election by a landslide. If she had a nine o'clock call, she would be on the set by eight, her makeup already on, every line memorized, a smile on her face. Once in a while, I would look for her and couldn't find her. She would be up on the lights, talking with the electricians. She was a very earthy dame, and she could talk to the crew in their own language. They all loved her and—not that that was her motive—they would do anything to help her and make her look good."

Below is a photo from the set of Clash by Night.

clash by night make-up.jpeg

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Just watched my new blu-ray of Clash by Night, and I thought it was a gripping drama, enhanced by the excellent picture quality. Enjoyed the establishing scenes of Monterey, maybe especially because I've been there more than a few times over the years. I'd never seen Paul Douglas before, and thought he was impressive. Poignant to read that he passed away just seven years after this movie was made. Like several people here, I've been a fan of Barbara Stanwyck's work for many years. By chance, just before watching this movie I was reading director Mervyn LeRoy's memoir, and was happy to read this passage on page 166, where LeRoy talks about working with Stanwyck on one of his movies with several other big stars:

"They were all pleasant and capable people; but, of them all, Miss Stanwyck was the easiest. I suppose, if you took a vote among old-timers on Hollywood crews for the most popular star, she would win the election by a landslide. If she had a nine o'clock call, she would be on the set by eight, her makeup already on, every line memorized, a smile on her face. Once in a while, I would look for her and couldn't find her. She would be up on the lights, talking with the electricians. She was a very earthy dame, and she could talk to the crew in their own language. They all loved her and—not that that was her motive—they would do anything to help her and make her look good."

Below is a photo from the set of Clash by Night.

View attachment 183869

excellent appreciation of this film which looks amazing in this new WAC blu.

Last edited:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
It's not only that. The scan is only the beginning.

It's the work of the colorist and everyone else who touched the project down the line.
and Fritz Lang and his gifted cinematographer Nicholas Musuraca (who Lang teamed up with again on The Blue Gardenia.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks