What's new

Man of La Mancha (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just got Man of La Mancha which has good picture (anamorphic 1.85:1) and sound (5.1). The film certainly has a great music score. I saw the film when it first opened in London and curiously the entire 8 minute opening sequence with O'Toole being taken through the streets to the prison was cut - the film opened in the prison. Good to see these scenes included at last.

Annoyingly, MGM has done their best to ruin things by including the Overture as an extra, instead of making it integral to the film. What the sense of this is I cannot imagine. Don't MGM realise what the word "overture" means?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Joe 6 Pack would be confused by the blank screen with music only.

I forget which DVD it is, but there's actually a warning on screen during the overture to prevent this.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Oh brother. That's ridiculous. Why couldn't they have provided a "Play With Overture"/"Play Without Overture" choice???

I guess I'm just thankful they delayed this to make it anamorphic OAR.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
MGM did even include the overture to "It's a mad mad mad mad world. So at least we're lucky to have it and the film is letterboxed.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
MGM/UA did NOT include the Overture on the DVD of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Bummer. It was , however, included on the VHS and laserdisc versions in the '90's. The soundtrack album includes a different version of the Overture, which I feel is inferior to the Roadshow one. While we're on the subject, any updates on a restoration?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I have never seen this before, is it worth a blind buy ?

Oscar,

The film version of "Man of La Mancha" is a disappointment. The first time I saw it I didn't like it, but over time it grew on me and now it is a favorite. The acting is good but the production is grey and lifeless - it is a talky film with little action and the film is more dramatic than musical. O'Toole is very good and Loren never looked better.
Don't expect "Singing in the Rain" the tone is more like the film version of "Fiddler on the Roof" and just as slow. But for $9.99 it's a good buy, especially if you like the score.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I'm not a great fan of musicals but I liked this very much which suggests that it may be a musical for people who don't like musicals! It's basically serious and unsentimental, unlike most musicals, which may be one reason why most people didn't like it (as Greg above says, the film is more dramatic than musical). Peter O'Toole and Sophia Loren (two of my all time favorites) are great. The main problem is the constant switching back to the prison (reality) which interrupts the action and slows the pace.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Craig S, I just had a flashback from grade school lol. Good to hear it is 1.85:1. I wasn't sure if Douglas R had a european version. I will be buying this when it comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks