What's new

MEMORABLE STAGE SHOWS THAT DISAPPOINTED AS A FILM (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Some musical stage shows that I raved over but was extremely disappointed ,even hated, when they were filmed were:

MAN OF LA MANCHA
A CHORUS LINE
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
LES MISERABLES

How many other HTF users have similar hates as far as great stage shows that disappointed on film

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
A Chorus Line is one of my very favourite stage musicals; the movie was very disappointing. Going back even further Anything Goes is the quintessential Cole Porter musical; plays very poorly as a film. The stage version of The Producers was(imho) one of the great Broadway musicals with its original cast; the movie did not work nearly as well; very disappointing that the song that introduced Max Bialystock was cut from the film.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I really hate it when movie musicals drop most of the stage score, especially when the songs help build or expand characters. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum did that and is one of the reasons it doesn't work nearly as well for me as a film as it does on the stage. Bye Bye Birdie dropped too many songs and also changed part of the plot which was not to my liking.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The stage version of The Producers was(imho) one of the great Broadway musicals with its original cast; the movie did not work nearly as well.

Yes, the filmed version of the Lane/Broderick Producers was a disappointing bore. I don't think I even made it halfway through before turning it off.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
There was no "movie" in A Chorus Line, making it a pointless endeavor. Many stage musicals of yesteryear were truncated or otherwise changed for the movies.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I agree with all the ones mentioned but would have to add MAME. (Of the other ones listed MAN OF LA MANCHA holds a special place as the one musical film I can find no redeeming virtues in. Virtually every other musical I can find some sequence/song/performance to enjoy - this movie -no,no and no again.)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
In addition to the ones listed above, I'd have to add FINIAN'S RAINBOW, CAMELOT and the truly godawful
PAINT YOUR WAGON.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
The star of Paint Your Wagon should have been the singer of They Call The Wind Maria! What a great voice!!!

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
That was Harve Presnell. His most famous role was the male lead in the movie THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN. One of those people who would have had more of a film career if he had come along in the 40's or 50's.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In addition to the ones listed above, I'd have to add FINIAN'S RAINBOW

I didn't want to post this as a thread crap in the Finian's Rainbow thread. And I hope none of the denizens over there find me here! :D

But I have never seen this film before and I recorded it off TCM (it aired on St. Patrick's Day).

And I watched it last night--well, at least the first half of it--and think I'll be hitting the "delete" button without going any further. Someone over there told me if I liked Tommy Steele in The Happiest Millionaire that I'd like him in this (and I suppose that's true). But I find Fred Astaire to be vastly underutilized in this. And the screenplay is a mess! I have no idea what's going on half the time. And the music is...odd. Sounds like a random mix of standard American classics (Old Devil Moon) with some classically Irish tunes and then some really odd Showboat-like minstrel songs thrown in.

Now I've never seen a stage production of Finian's Rainbow, so maybe this still amounts to a threadcrap...but good gosh this seems like a really bad film! Sorry!

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Two oldies that I love, The Desert Song and Noel Coward's Bitter Sweet, have never had faithful film adaptations.

IMO Sondheim's A Little Night Music is a strangely poor film considering it had its original stage director and several original cast members.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I really hate it when movie musicals drop most of the stage score, especially when the songs help build or expand characters. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum did that and is one of the reasons it doesn't work nearly as well for me as a film as it does on the stage. Bye Bye Birdie dropped too many songs and also changed part of the plot which was not to my liking.

I totally agree with you. Another example is Brigadoon - a good film but so many lovely songs are left out, and although I am a huge Gene Kelley fan, those songs were written for a voice like Robert Goulet or Harve Presnell.

I do like two changes in Bye Bye Birdie; having Albert sing "Happy Face" with Rosie - that is a charming scene, and I like the song "Bye Bye Birdie". But the entire second half with the energy drink or whatever exasperates me no end. And so many songs cut.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I didn't want to post this as a thread crap in the Finian's Rainbow thread. And I hope none of the denizens over there find me here! :D

But I have never seen this film before and I recorded it off TCM (it aired on St. Patrick's Day).

And I watched it last night--well, at least the first half of it--and think I'll be hitting the "delete" button without going any further. Someone over there told me if I liked Tommy Steele in The Happiest Millionaire that I'd like him in this (and I suppose that's true). But I find Fred Astaire to be vastly underutilized in this. And the screenplay is a mess! I have no idea what's going on half the time. And the music is...odd. Sounds like a random mix of standard American classics (Old Devil Moon) with some classically Irish tunes and then some really odd Showboat-like minstrel songs thrown in.

Now I've never seen a stage production of Finian's Rainbow, so maybe this still amounts to a threadcrap...but good gosh this seems like a really bad film! Sorry!

Well, the film follows the stage play almost word for word and note for note so I doubt you would like it any better. ;)

I happen to love the score, but I will confess that I usually fast forward through some of the scenes when I watch the film. It was a rather daring show when written in 1947; for mainstream entertainment, it is overtly "in-your-face" with social satire.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The 1929 version of THE DESERT SONG hews closely to the original stage version. The MGM Technicolor remakes of SHOW BOAT and THE MERRY WIDOW are sorry messes.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

I agree it's not a particularly good film, however I do like the choreography. I don't know how far you got, but the 67 year old Astaire still has some really astonishing dance moves in it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I saw one dance number featuring Fred with Petula Clark that starts on a gazebo (I think) and then becomes more of a group dance out in the fields.

Not a typical Astaire number as there are lots of edits. But Fred was still doing really well. It was just...uninspired.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Mame is the worst of the worst, the only scene I can sit thru is the title number and that's only because Lucy doesn't open her mouth

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
A Chorus Line is one of my very favourite stage musicals; the movie was very disappointing. Going back even further Anything Goes is the quintessential Cole Porter musical; plays very poorly as a film. The stage version of The Producers was(imho) one of the great Broadway musicals with its original cast; the movie did not work nearly as well; very disappointing that the song that introduced Max Bialystock was cut from the film.

I agree with you in that THE PRODUCERS was very disappointing as a film. It must have even bored the projectionist at my local as he stopped the film before final credits had finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks