What's new

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (2018)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Title: The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

Tagline: Today's a marvelous day for adventures!

Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy

Director: Terry Gilliam

Cast: Adam Driver, Olga Kurylenko, Stellan Skarsgård, Joana Ribeiro, Jonathan Pryce, Rossy de Palma, Jordi Mollà, Sergi López, Paloma Bloyd, Lídia Franco, Bruno Schiappa

Release: 2018-05-19

Runtime: 132

Plot: An advertising executive jumps back and forth in time between 21st century London and 17th century La Mancha, where Don Quixote mistakes him for Sancho Panza.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So one night in theaters then on to Netflix?

Honestly, I am not sure what that's about. That trailer does say "one special night" so that does make it appear to be the case. I did not see any Netflix branding on that trailer but the way things are going I would not be surprised if Netflix bought the distribution on this.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
OK, so tomorrow is the night that, after 30 years of struggle, impossible dreaming, and a lot of really hard work, you can sit in a theater and watch Terry Gilliam's Don Quixote picture. It is playing nationwide so to find the theater near you just go here and enter your zip code...

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/the-man-who-killed-don-quixote

I am all in on this and will be there tomorrow night to see this. Some people that have already seen it are calling it the "perfect film for our times" which it probably is...as the madness that has descended upon the land the last couple years is really quite Quixote-like.

The story seems to be if tomorrow's showing goes well on April 19 this will be released into select theaters for a normal run. For some reason there is that "if" in there. I guess we can all sort of imagine why...

So, if you can go, check this one out tomorrow night, this will be a whole lot of fun and you'll be supporting a truly wonderful filmmaker.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, I don't want to say anything specific about the film because probably hardly anybody has seen it but suffice to say if you are a Gilliam fan, you will have a good time, if you are not this is not the place to start nor the film that will win you over more than likely.

It's basically a near miracle this even exists so, on that alone, well worth a watch.

Obviously what always happens when dealing with a guy like Gilliam is people will compare his recent works with the ones that established him as a great filmmaker. Basically, I don't think that's fair but that's life. This film was made by a 79 year old man that's been through many struggles...and it is one of those films that highlights those sort of struggles in the film business. Gilliam always seems to pit the human heart and our ability to hope and dream against the forces in life that seem to want to crush us. So, really we are in his territory with Don Quixote.

I say see it but I willingly admit this may be more for long time Gilliam fans than it is for others.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I caught the screening last night and really enjoyed it. It's certainly flawed, a little overlong, and you can see it straining against the constraints of its budget, but it has a fun and irreverent spirit. While I'd consider myself a Gilliam fan, some of his more recent films have been disappointing - Tideland, The Brothers Grimm, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I liked this one much more than any of those. It does feel like something that belongs to another era, though. It almost seems like something that could have been made in the 80s.

I'm glad I saw it theatrically. I suspect it plays much better with an audience - my screening was sold out - than it would watching it at home on iTunes or Netflix.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
So, I don't want to say anything specific about the film because probably hardly anybody has seen it but suffice to say if you are a Gilliam fan, you will have a good time, if you are not this is not the place to start nor the film that will win you over more than likely.

It's basically a near miracle this even exists so, on that alone, well worth a watch.

Obviously what always happens when dealing with a guy like Gilliam is people will compare his recent works with the ones that established him as a great filmmaker. Basically, I don't think that's fair but that's life. This film was made by a 79 year old man that's been through many struggles...and it is one of those films that highlights those sort of struggles in the film business. Gilliam always seems to pit the human heart and our ability to hope and dream against the forces in life that seem to want to crush us. So, really we are in his territory with Don Quixote.

I say see it but I willingly admit this may be more for long time Gilliam fans than it is for others.
Worse than Tideland, the ony Gilliam movie I don't think I'll ever rewatch (but still keep on my shelf just because it's him)?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Worse than Tideland, the ony Gilliam movie I don't think I'll ever rewatch (but still keep on my shelf just because it's him)?

This was certainly, in my opinion, a far better film than Tideland. Tideland is also the one picture from Terry I will never sit through again. I thought this film had a lot of Gilliam's greatest hits stuff going on, but sort of in the way it can be a little odd watching The Rolling Stones doing their greatest hits as men deep into their 70s. I mean it's the same guys and the same songs but they don't quite do them or sound like they did in their youth. This film is far more fun than Tideland...which to me was just an utter disaster.

Also, you kind of have to think that in a way Gilliam already covered this territory with The Fisher King to some extent. I also sort of could feel the seams of this one, in that I really felt that in the 30 years he was working on Don Quixote he kept rewriting it, in a way to sort of reflect his struggle to make it.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks