What's new

MacBook Pro 2018 Refresh (Announced) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
TouchBar's problem is that actual professionals know their software and its keyboard and mouse shortcuts. The TouchBar is a mass-market, non-expert solution priced for and forced upon the pro market, who don't need it. Who don't want it because it screws up their keyboards. Meanwhile, the non-expert moms and dads, couch-surfers, homework-doing masses can't afford the high-end feature. And because it's too expensive to add to every device, it's super niche, and so it's not supported thoroughly -- and those who could be won over are pressed to find really compelling benefits to justify its high cost.

I look at the email example, and what I know is that I just forwarded my wife an receipt via CMD-Tab, CMD-SHIFT-F, [name]+autocomplete, CMD-SHIFT-D without lifting my hands from the keyboard and faster than I could take my eyes from the screen and find a single icon on a TouchBar (much less press it).

That said, if I had the feature, I would try mapping the commands for things like Magnet, a window management app I use, but don't use so much I remember its arcane keyboard shortcuts. But that benefit isn't worth $400 (or losing an Escape key). I look forward to it dropping in price and becoming a standard part of a $99 bluetooth keyboard.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No issues here, but every week I expect another report to come out about MBP or other Apple issues. It's now become a laundry list of issues.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
For the record, after a week's worth of use I like the touch bar. I don't miss the physical escape key.

I did get a chuckle the other day when I went to move some files via usb drive and realized "Oh, I need a dongle for that". Dongles ordered. C to 3 and C to HDMI.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Doug,

That is an EXCELLENT dongle and at a really good price.

I would jump on that, but I use Caldigit docks to connect a single USB-C cable to a station that will allow you to plug all those peripherals in.

Your option is MUCH cheaper than mine.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Plus, Ron, it's portable. I got one of these the same day I bought my MacBook Pro, and have never understood all of the angst about the laptop only having USB-C connections. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Plus, Ron, it's portable. I got one of these the same day I bought my MacBook Pro, and have never understood all of the angst about the laptop only having USB-C connections. :)

I blanked out on that aspect. Of course! This is great for traveling.

I have something like that product for that very purpose. The nice thing about the dongle you cited is the fact that it looks like a simple extension of the MacBook Pro itself.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That's what I like about it. The only drawback, if you can consider it one, is that it occupies two of your Thunderbolt 3 ports when plugged in. But, you that leaves two available, so no problem as far as I'm concerned.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
That's what I like about it. The only drawback, if you can consider it one, is that it occupies two of your Thunderbolt 3 ports when plugged in. But, you that leaves two available, so no problem as far as I'm concerned.

According to the product description, it takes up two of your USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) ports. You get back one USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) port, and one plain USB-C port. So it's only a net loss of one Thunderbolt 3 port.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't have any thunderbolt devices, but aren't they supposed to be chainable? So the impact of losing one should hopefully be minimal? At least I thought being chainable was one of the selling points of thunderbolt as a spec.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They are chainable, as long as the device has two ports. Everything I've seen had two ports except a couple bus powered 2.5" enclosures.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
According to the product description, it takes up two of your USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) ports. You get back one USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) port, and one plain USB-C port. So it's only a net loss of one Thunderbolt 3 port.

The 15" MacBook Pro has four Thunderbolt 3 ports, two on each side.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
The 15" MacBook Pro has four Thunderbolt 3 ports, two on each side.

The point is that because of the pass-through port, using this device on a rMBP that has four Thunderbolt 3 ports leaves you with three free Thunderbolt 3 ports. Two on the rMBP, and one on the device.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Keep in mind these are not my machines. I do not have need for such dongles on my current iMac. I was willing to spend $7 to get a dongle to hold me over until corporate can get a few in so I can transfer files from an approved USB drive, but that order process could take a week. I'm not willing to spend $50 for a work machine.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The TouchBar is a mass-market, non-expert solution priced for and forced upon the pro market, who don't need it.
As an alleged pro, I love it and do need it! I am a pro programmer and photographer, but I also happen to be a hunt & peck typer rather than a touch typist, and especially as a bad speller, having the TouchBar is priceless for me.

So I just got the new MacBook Pro 15"; 4TB SSD and 32GB memory. Basically I love it. My one criticism is that the giant trackpad causes more unintended reactions to leaning my hand on it, than making anything easier than the much smaller trackpad on my 2013 MBP. We'll see if I adapt.

Everything else, from the amazing screen to Touch ID to the SSD, to the much maligned USB C ports is amazing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As an alleged pro, I love it and do need it! I am a pro programmer and photographer, but I also happen to be a hunt & peck typer rather than a touch typist, and especially as a bad speller, having the TouchBar is priceless for me.

So I just got the new MacBook Pro 15"; 4TB SSD and 32GB memory. Basically I love it. My one criticism is that the giant trackpad causes more unintended reactions to leaning my hand on it, than making anything easier than the much smaller trackpad on my 2013 MBP. We'll see if I adapt.

Everything else, from the amazing screen to Touch ID to the SSD, to the much maligned USB C ports is amazing.

Woah, Ted, Congrats! You outdid me with specs. With that 4TB drive that had to be expensive.

I am so happy that you love your machine. I love my new MacBook Pro as well.

I do agree that the oversized trackpad is not an advantage. I always make palm mistakes and often have entire emails deleted while typing them simply because of accidentally hitting my palm on the trackpad.

So good to see that Apple finally got back to making great PRO models.

Enjoy and good luck!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

That's great!

I'm not a "pro" and haven't had a home laptop in about six years (since upgrading from a 2007 MBP to my wife's 2009 iMac in 2012 and then to my 2017 retina iMac last year). My point of reference is podcast-o-sphere, and a friend who's a high-end "cloud" developer who bought and returned the 2017 TouchBar MBP because it was such a terrible "pro" machine for him.

If Apple sold an affordable TouchBar keyboard for the iMac, I'd buy it to try. But I fear that it's on track to become a more expensive version of the ForceTouch trackpad I've got: a solution searching for its problem, practically abandoned by Apple.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
If Apple sold an affordable TouchBar keyboard for the iMac, I'd buy it to try. But I fear that it's on track to become a more expensive version of the ForceTouch trackpad I've got: a solution searching for its problem, practically abandoned by Apple.

On the desktop, it might be desirable for a Touch Bar to be separate from the main keyboard. I've worn key legends off of many of my Mac and PC keyboards, and I can't believe that I am the only touch-typist who has. If you were replacing a keyboard because of that, you would probably not want to pay for a new Touch Bar.

An integrated desktop (keyboard + Touch Bar) also risks the fate of the Thunderbolt Display. 27" 2.5K DisplayPort displays were a great idea, and so were Thunderbolt docks. But the shotgun marriage – which probably seemed good at the time – was bad for the combined product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks