What's new

MacBook Pro 2018 Refresh (Announced) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks, Clinton.

They really need to make a Pro model that lives up to the PRO name.

My Retina MacBook Pro with Touch Display is awful. With so many startup programs, I am pushing the 16GB limit.

Additionally, I have a keyboard defect that when I press the "." key, it repeats. Not going to the Apple Store to fix it as I plan to sell this laptop.

The butterfly keyboard needs to go. I am hoping that the next model goes back to the old keyboard and gives us 32GB capability.

Of course, nobody really knows what rumors are true and what is not.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would get it fixed before you sell it. I also think loading every program into memory is silly, but weve already discussed that.

Oh nutter....

The ability to have so many reference programs running at startup is heaven. If this MacBook Pro were properly equip'd, it would be no issue.

I am going to sell this to MacBack. I doubt they will discover the keyboard issue. The problem with taking it to the Apple Store is trying to get a genius bar appointment at a convenient time. Thus far, no go. I will continue to try.

Here are my startup programs: Bongiovani DPS, Paste 2, iDeskCal, Default Folder X, Adguard, Text Expander, Pop Clip, iStats Menu, Battery Health, Memory Clean, Little Snitch, Fantastical 2, Forecast Bar, Dropbox, Mailbutler, Caffeine, Stocks+ Pro, Mail Butler 3.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Memory cleaner apps probably harm, not help, your Mac’s performance. This is a thing like disk defraggers us old guys grew up with 20 years ago, that we can’t let go of, despite the fact modern OS’s don’t need this stuff anymore.

You do not want to "clean" your memory. This usually involves dumping the disk cache, which is very bad for system performance. The purge command is provided as a part of Apple's developer tools for debugging, testing, and dealing with specific issues that are related to performance-testing as if a system was freshly booted. This will considerably slow down your system.

In general, you want almost 0 free memory - any memory not being used by active applications should be in the "inactive" pool, which means that it's 100% available if an application needs it, but it is actively being used by the system to accelerate your harddrive.

Every time you access a file on your harddrive, if there is enough free memory, OS X (and Windows, and Linux) will copy the file into inactive memory. This way, if something tries to read the file again, it will read it from RAM and not from your harddrive, which can be several thousand times faster. There are many system files which are read very frequently, and disk caching is critical for system performance because of this.
https://superuser.com/questions/663876/how-does-the-memory-clean-app-work#663881

Crucially, there’s no point in having RAM empty. Even if your RAM is completely full and your computer needs more of it to run an application, your computer can instantly discard the cached data from your RAM and use that space for the application. There’s no point in having RAM sit empty — if it’s empty, it’s being wasted. If it’s full, there’s a good chance it can help speed up program loading times and anything else that would use your computer’s hard drive.

When you use a memory optimizer, you’ll see your computer’s RAM usage go down. This may seem like an easy win — you’ve decreased RAM usage just be pressing a button, after all. But it’s not that simple.

Memory optimizers actually work in one of two ways:

• They call the EmptyWorkingSet Windows API function, forcing running applications to write their working memory to the Windows page file.
  • They quickly allocate a large amount of memory to themselves, forcing Windows to discard cached data and write application data to the page file. They then deallocate the memory, leaving it empty.
Both of these tricks will indeed free up RAM, making it empty. However, all this does is slow things down — now the applications you use will have to get the data they need from the page file, reading from the hard drive and taking longer to work. Any memory being used for cache may be discarded, so Windows will have to get the data it needs from the hard drive.

In other words, these programs free up fast memory by forcing data you need onto slower memory, where it will have to be moved back to fast memory again. This makes no sense! All it accomplishes is selling you another system optimization program you don’t need.
https://www.howtogeek.com/171424/why-memory-optimizers-and-ram-boosters-are-worse-than-useless/

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wait a tic Ron - Macbook Pro with TOUCH DISPLAY?? What's this? Apple has never made a touchscreen laptop.

Maybe I am calling it the wrong thing, but it is the new display above the keyboard on the 2017 models.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Touch Bar.

There is nothing in your list that would bust the 16gb threshold. It’s all text manipulation. Like Dave I suspect it’s your dubious memory manager.

There is zero reason to run a memory manager, defraggernor antivirus on OSX

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you’re running big video editing sessions and/or Safari with hundreds of tabs open or otherwise doing heavy-lifting computing, you could be memory limited.

But most people are not currently limited by 16GB; even less so with SSD making drive swap space so much faster.

I can’t say you don’t need 32GB since I don’t know your workflow. But from the latest description as you’re moving to a single laptop and seemingly doing less computationally intensive work, my guess is you’re just fine (not performance limited) with 16GB and might even be ok even with 8GB.

But I don’t know your workflow, and maybe you’re doing memory-heavy computing that benefits from 32 GB RAM.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ron:

I agree with the others, and would encourage you to try your MacBook Pro for some time without the Memory Clean app. For nothing else but to prove that it does indeed assist you.
Don't get a false encouragement with it showing that you have x amount of free memory. There's no reason to worry about memory being used, what matters is if your machine is sluggish or non-responsive.

There is zero reason to run a memory manager, defraggernor antivirus on OSX
I don't run antivirus on my MacBook Pro either, but for some relatives that seem to not understand basic computer common sense, I do recommend they have it on their systems.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Als
Ron:
I don't run antivirus on my MacBook Pro either, but for some relatives that seem to not understand basic computer common sense, I do recommend they have it on their systems.

Adblocker and browser redirection prevention tools should be sufficient. I recommend Ghostery and uBlock Origin. There is not a single antivirus on the market that will stop an actual virus before the OS itself will. If they aren't keep their OS up to date it is unlikely they will be updating apps any sooner.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
A new report from 9to5 Mac suggests no 32GB ram upgrade option for the next MacBook Pro. GRRRR!​

As I understand it, Intel has not yet released mobile CPUs and chipsets that support LPDDR4 RAM. This leaves Apple stuck between using LPDDR3 RAM (low-power, maximum 16 GB), and DDR4 RAM (more power-hungry).

If anyone has information to the contrary, I'd love to be proved wrong.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
My Retina MacBook Pro with Touch Display is awful. With so many startup programs, I am pushing the 16GB limit.

Mac OS X likes to use "unused" memory to cache data. If it needs the cached data before some application needs the RAM, it gets a performance boost – and if the application needs the RAM first, the OS simply dumps the cache.

Thus the Memory Pressure display in the Activity Monitor may be a more useful measurement.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Fall 2018 hardware refresh rumors:
https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/11/kuo-iphone-ipad-mac-apple-watch-rumors/

• Per previous reports, three new iPhones includes an updated 5.8″ OLED model and a new 6.5″ OLED model, plus a new 6.1″ LCD model
  • Updated iPad Pro models with Face ID and no Home button with an updated 12.9″ version and a seemingly new 11″ version
  • Several Mac updates including chip upgrades for the MacBook, MacBook Pro, an iMac with “significant display-performance upgrades”, and finally the Mac mini
  • A new low-price notebook that Kuo now believes may not be called MacBook Air
  • Apple Watch updates with larger displays as previously reported, Kuo now specifies 1.57″ and 1.78″ screens with enhanced heart rate detection
  • Mass production for both AirPower and updated AirPods

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks