What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

LOTR: TTT - Platinum Series Special Extended Edition (1 Viewer)

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
I don't think the other studios, except Fox (their Alien Quadrilogy set looks as good or better than New Line's Lord of the Rings releases), have learned a darn thing since the Fellowship boxed set.
I think Columbia/Tri-Star did a bang up job with the Black Hawk Down SE. No DTS, but the sound was still good, and the non-fluff extras go on forever (like the FOTR extras do).

Certain films have more background or depth to them (like BHD or LOTR) which makes it much easier to have a real SE.

But you're right about Paramount (though they've got the Trek SEs).

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

TORN has posted many many great pics from ROTK and the TTT:EE.

To view the next album, change the URL # from 928 to 929, and so on to # 934.

theonering.net/scrapbook/group/928

:emoji_thumbsup:

TTT:EE and ROTK are going to be breathtaking.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Is there still no word on whether the EE of TTT will have a $10 rebate (for the Gift Edition) or $5 rebate (regular EE) for those who purchased the upcoming TTT Theatrical Cut DVD?

I was not as gung-ho for this film as I was for FoTR, so unless there's a rebate I think I'll just hold off and not get the theatrical cut.

I am planning on buying the Gift Set of the EE so the $10 rebate, added to the fact that the regular edition will probably be $14.99 or less, makes buying the regular edition worth it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
And an interesting observation from the website:

from the description of the Extended Edition
Disc 1: The Feature
Feature (approx. 179 minutes)
Not to pick nits here (okay, just a little bit of nitpicking): the EE claims "over 40 mins...incorporated"

Yet: 214-179=35 mins. Even with the "approx." disclaimer, they are still pretty far off.

chris_clem

Second Unit
Yet: 214-179=35 mins. Even with the "approx." disclaimer, they are still pretty far off.
hmm.... and if they are going to put the names of the fan club members again that's around 5mins right there right?!? Unless they don't count the credits in the running time (but most or all movies do that...)

Of course this doesn't change the fact that I am still waiting very excitedly for this release lke everyone else :D

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
We've ended up with about 43 minutes of additional material...
This was after he had completed the EE cut just after Christmas (all of this info is from the interview with him in the April/May issue of the fan club magazine).

I suspect the 8 minute discrepancy is either a typo, or, as Damin said, the result of different editing decisions. Remember the completly reworked Hobbiton opening in FotR EE?? This is one reason why a lot of us are buying BOTH the theatrical & EE versions of these films!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Plus, it's pretty certain that the Elrond-Galadriel telepathy sequence will be removed in favor of new footage of the Rivendell elves going to Lorien in person. I expect there will be other substitutions of this kind that will help make up that missing five minutes.

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure if the telepathy scene will be replaced. I definitely remember reading that an alternate version was filmed, but there's no mention of it in the Extended Edition preview, and it wasn't mentioned in the early sneak preview of the Extended Edition that appeared online recently.

Actually, I've grown to like the telepathy scene. It's a great way to bring the slower members of the audience up to speed on what's happening, and I like the way it mimicks the opening of the first film. From what I've read, Galadriel will now be narrating the end of the third film, so her words will bookend the movies. It's nice, then, that her speech in the theatrical cut of The Two Towers comes roughly halfway through the film, marking the halfway point in the overall trilogy. I wonder if any other people picked up on that when watching?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Plus, it's pretty certain that the Elrond-Galadriel telepathy sequence will be removed in favor of new footage of the Rivendell elves going to Lorien in person.
I don't think it is certain at all. No one who has seen the EE has yet said that this scene has been removed/changed. There is someone at TORC who CLAIMS to have seen it that said it was left intact. So we'll just have to see.

I'd like this part to be reworked, but I'm fine with it if it stays.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Interesting thoughts. The "alternate" version of scenes is definitely one way to explain the 35 mins = "over 40 mins of never-before-seen" discrepancy.

I guess since it was the last post on the last page it might have gotten lost, so I'll ask again:

Is there word that the Two Towers EE and Gift EE editions will come with a $5/$10 rebate a la the FoTR EE & Gift DVDs?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks