What's new

Lost: Season 5 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, they left out everything after episode 9 which was strange. It was neat seeing all the 06 stuff and them getting on Flight 316 in a semi-linear order though.

For the record, I like to make fun of the Ewoks but without them, the Rebels wouldn't have defeated the Empire so I gotta give them some respect.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

EDIT: Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse answer some fan questions at Variety.com: http://weblogs.variety.com/season_pa...worth-it-.html

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it sure does help seeing it in a more linear order!

It's quite possible that this was first meant to be shown after the 9th episode. It possible the ratings being moved from Feb to March screwed things up a bit in their planning.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I didn't mind the clip show tonight. It's cool seeing all the events in linear order... if they didn't do it, some fan with video-editing software would probably do it for them. Besides, I feel like I need to straighten out the remaining jumbles in my head before the last few episodes of the season.

All the maze of motivations and plot in these last few seasons really require a lot of effort to recall.

The Q&A session by Lindelof and Cuse in the "Variety" article was disappointing: fairly predictable answers to largely uninspired questions.

The promo for next week's episode taught me two things: 1. There will be explosions. 2. "BATTLE LINES WILL BE DRAWN" (etc.) 3. Faraday apparently thinks people might be in mortal danger. Thanks for nothing, ABC. Ugh. Thank goodness the episodes themselves are usually nothing like those godawful trailers.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
You're complaining about the previews being bad? Isn't that a good thing? If they're good most likely they revealed too much.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Watched some of the clip show. It was a faster-edited version of the Fast-Forward extra on the season 4 BD, with clips from the current season as well.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I agree. I like that they're using the ridiculous "This is the episode where every character dies!!!!!"-style promo that HBO had for almost every episode of The Sopranos. That way, I have no clue what is really going to happen on the episode. Unlike the commercial for this week's 24 showed which didn't even attempt to hide what would happen. I'll take the promo that twists things around rather than a promo that shows me the episode in 30 seconds.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The purpose of a preview is to get viewers to tune in next week. (Including at least a few of the people who don't watch your show but do watch the show that follows it, and who may see it waiting for that show to start.) It is not to provide a 100% accurate, "I'd swear to that in court", summary of the upcoming episode. I, too, would much rather see a vague promo with a few flashes of gunfire, some serious looks and an explosion or two, or even a deliberately misleading one, than one that contains major spoilers. (Ala Chuck a couple of weeks ago, where the promo blew the mystery set up at the end 20 seconds after the credits finished.)

Regards,

Joe

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I think my favorite misleading Lost preview was the scene that turned out to be from the Risk game.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
During next week's 100th episode of Lost, ABC is launching a stealth promo campaign for a new ABC program (not yet on the schedule) called "Flash Forward." You can read more about it here:Since the article also includes what some may consider to be be a very, very minor spoiler about next week's Lost episode, do not access this link if are put off by such things...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
"Based on Robert J. Sawyer's sci-fi novel, "Flash," starring Joseph Fiennes, chronicles the aftermath of a global event in which everyone in the world blacks out for 2 minutes, 17 seconds and has a mysterious vision of the future."

that part of the article confuses me.
It says based on a novel starring Fiennes but that doesn't make sense.
Or is the upcoming show going to be starring fiennes?
There is no mention of this on his imdb page.

Plus i swear i heard of that idea for a movie or something somewhere about a year ago or maybe saw a trailer with that premise.
It just sounds so familiar.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

No, it doesn't. It says it is based Robert J. Sawyer's sci-fi novel, "Flash" (so as to mean "is") starring Joseph Fiennes. That sentence is structured properly, and uses commas the way they are intended.

Anyway, the show stars Feinnes, not the book

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Of course I'd rather not have the "Lost" trailers give away plot points. But a trailer that withholds information from the audience (my favorite kind too, by the way) doesn't have to be mind-numbingly idiotic. i.e., you can mislead your audience (as to the plot of the episode) without making the show look like "Armageddon" by way of "Survivor".

Honestly folks, these trailers are a relatively small pet peeve for me, but I do thoroughly reject the notion that you can only withhold plot information by pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor

The show was picked up by ABC thanks to the pilot, but I don't know what it's expected to air. By the way, despite the fascinating premise, in my opinion the book really fails to exploit it successfully. I'll be interested to see how they convert it into a series.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor

Loved the whole movie, including the conclusion. TonyD, dude, what are you smoking?

...seriously, enough of this philosophy stuff. I know I'm boring half of you and annoying the rest. To be honest, I don't think Lost will ultimately adhere rigidly to this model, despite what we've seen so far. After all, this is "Lost", and we want wrenches in our soup. Flies in our cogs... wait, I've mixed metaphors...

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Oh man - if that's true, it sucks. I hate it when awesome characters turn out to be scumbags in real life. Oh well, guess the courts will have to figure it all out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks