1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lost: Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Lou Sytsma, Aug 11, 2008.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

2. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

No comments yet on the not yet over episode, but what's with these short ABC ads:

"What did you see?"

The one I noticed looked like an ultrasound or something.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Aww man, Faraday was one of my favorite characters. Jeremy Davies was wonderful in the role so I hope they bring him back in some form next season.

I shudder to think what will happen if Jack, Kate and The Others can avert the crash of Oceanic 815.

4. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    The last scene was a pretty big blow. Don't know if it was necessarily shocking, but terribly unsettling to me. Ah, man.

5. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    It's what I was talking about in this post the other day. It is part of a stealth promo campaign for a new ABC series called "Flash Forward."

6. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

So, what are the odds that Farraday was entirely wrong, and setting off the hydrogen bomb is what causes the incident, not drilling too deep?

7. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Kevin Hewell
    I loved how the Lost title card segued into the Star Trek promo.

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

That's what I was thinking. It's assumed that the concrete was dumped into The Swan to contain the magnetism but maybe that concrete is covering over a nuclear detonation? Keeping in mind that it's TV so the reality of radiation and half-life, etc. might not be 100% accurate.

9. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    "You guys were in 1954? Like, Fonzie times?" [​IMG]

If they had ended on Widmore revealing that Daniel was his son, it would have been shocking enough. I wonder if the following events will make the hostiles more willing to have a sitdown with Jack and Kate.

I kind of hoped when Pen went in to see Des that he'd greet her with a, "Hello, brother." [​IMG]

Kate's first thought should be, "If the plane never crashes, I'm prison bound."

10. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

This seems the obvious conclusion to draw from tonight's episode. In fact, it's so plainly obvious that I hope I'm wrong. I at least hope the characters are aware of this possibility.

I think Daniel Faraday ultimately got so far into his head during his research at Ann Arbor that he convinced himself he might actually change the past. His explanation of "human variables" doesn't really make much sense, actually. I mean, I know what he was trying to say, but it's more convoluted than one of our circular discussions about time travel on this board!. [​IMG]

Because Jack wants so badly to get off the island, and he doesn't care if he "erases" all of his experiences since the crash to do it (sad when you think about it - it shows how little he values the past three years) -- he's going to work to set off the hydrogen bomb, and he's going to be successful, and the detonation will (surprise!) end up being the original "incident" that caused the Swan Station to be built all along... etc., etc. (I'm guessing.)

Faraday mentioned that the energy emission from the Swan site was 30,000 times more powerful than the emissions at the Orchid site. I think perhaps those measurements were based on records taken AFTER the incident, not before. Or maybe that number is unrelated. But I think the original incident was a direct result of the (soon to be) detonated bomb.

There will obviously be a difference of opinion on whether or not to detonate (between the survivors), but I hope at least one of them considers the possibility that they are in fact causing the 815 crash by seeking to prevent it, and it won't just be an argument about whether or not they want to retain the experiences of the past three years.

If "they caused the incident by trying to stop it" is the big surprise at the end of the season, I'm going to be very, very disappointed.

11. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

Yeah, it's too bad Hurley wasn't there to ask how if none of the things that they mentioned are going to happen (if Faraday succeeds), then how did they go back in time and fix things in the first place. [​IMG]

12. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

(see above)
    I was a bit annoyed with tonight's episode, specifically with the last 10 minutes. I didn't understand the need for the guns in going to see the others. First off, Faraday never seemed to be one for violence... and secondly, both Kate and Jack know that the others would have them way outnumbered (and way better with guns), so packing heat is a bit pointless. Richard has always seemed reasonable (it's always been the leaders that have come off as blood thirsty), and of course would remember Faraday from their last encounter. It seemed very out of character for him to storm into the others camp and put Richard at gunpoint. I really question the writing there.

Also, I think the bomb causing the incident is almost too obvious to a lot of fans... I hope at least one of the characters points this out.

13. NeilO

NeilO Producer

I had to go back and verify that it is Kate's suggestion to bring guns. Quite a bad idea. Faraday should have known better than to go into the camp with one.

Now that we've seen Charlotte and Faraday die, I have to wonder how much longer does Miles have to live?

So, how much information are Jack and Kate going to give Eloise? She has to learn about Desmond pressing the button. By meeting Jack and Kate, she can infer about needing to send them back. One thing about Faraday that we don't know is where his last name came from.

Once and for all we know for certain that Widmore staged the fake plane crash site.

14. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

Despite some logistical issues, I was satisfied with the episode. IMO, they're really on a sprint towards the finish line, with all kinds of interesting situation and revelations.

Hanso was way too quick to dismiss the possibility that Miles is his son, especially given Daniel Faraday's explanation.

Is Daniel such a genius because he was born on the island?

I agree that the guns seemed very out of character and counterproductive. The only slight redemption is sometimes, it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need it and not have it. But Daniel walking into camp waving one around was just pointless.

I can see Daniel's mother mentoring Ben because she has that same cold "This is what has to happen, whatever it is," thing going on. Sending her son back to be shot? Well, at least she slapped poppa over it.

There was a little bit of the spinning wheels syndrome Lost is known for, but not too much. I still didn't get logic behind the "we can change things" conclusion. I also didn't get why mom was wrong. My first thought after hearing "your lives would happen as they're supposed to," was Kate going to jail. I mean, it's tough to avoid. She's standing right there. A small point... if Faraday is right, he's not suggesting this actions would erase or rewrite their past. As he pointed out, their present is now, even though they're in the past. What he means is that when, for instance, Kate is born again, in that instance, she will not crash on the island. If he's right.

15. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

Are we certain that he's dead?

16. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    My take on Faraday's "variable" theory, is that he's been able to spend the past three years studying *real* time travel. Up until now (research contemporary to Faraday), everything related to time travel has been purely theoretical, or, at the very most, confined to particles.

Because he has witnessed real time travel, Daniel has been able to delve into a new level of research, and he has reached some startling new conclusions, chief of which, is that there is a way around all of the paradoxes involved in altering events in the past. The extent of this is unkown (to us) at this point, but it would appear to involve human free will, and its ability to transcend the boundaries of relativistic physics. What this boils down to (perhaps - I'm just speculating, of course), is that while events from timeline to timeline are constant, the thoughts, and therefore actions of the people involved are not. Free will is powerful enough that it can break the cycle, so to speak, so long as an individual makes a concerted effort to do so

Anything beyond (including?) this is literally just guesswork, and I don't think the audience is meant to validate or dismiss it at this point. However, if there's one place that the known laws of the universe can be dismissed, it would be the island.

The obvious question is then if the people can change events through sheer force of will, why hasn't a different Faraday (or whomever) done just that? The answer, of course, is that that individual/individuals just didn't, because they didn't want to enough--that is, their will wasn't enough of a variable. Because the variables change from timeline to timeline, Daniel is positing that *his* timeline can be the one where it makes a difference. Perhaps he's tapped into a unique resource that has changed the variables--maybe he's communicating with another timeline? Who knows.

The point is, whether he is right or not, Faraday has either uncovered a new set of truths in relativistic physics, or he has simply thrown out some old ones. Whatever the case, he now thinks changing the timeline *is* possible, and has perhaps convinced Jack of this, as well.

I guess time will tell (groan...).

17. David Forbes

David Forbes Supporting Actor

I think Faraday's death was perhaps the most wrenching of anyone's so far. His bitch of a mother denies him the joys of his life -- give up the piano, blows off his girlfriend, tells him he will have no time for love -- all the while knowing she is setting the course of his life for an early death at her own hands.

Faraday's dying realization that his mother has taken all of this from him and has just taken his life -- and that she knew she would do so and sent him to the island anyway when he didn't want to go -- must have been terrible for him to endure.

WillG, if he's not dead, there's no real reason for Mrs. Hawking to slap Widmore across the face.

18. Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown Supporting Actor

This was an episode of "your guess was correct" for me. It seemed like everything that happened was already discussed on this forum. I liked the show but at no point did I really get that LOST moment where they blidesided me with something.

19. NeilO

NeilO Producer

I just can't imagine that she would deny all this knowing his fate. It would make more sense for her to have him live in the moment. The only thing is that she must read his journal and see a positive impact from his writing it. His life has to have meant something for her to have shaped it like she did.

The piano scene is the most puzzling of the whole show. Why have a piano in your home if you are going to stop your son from playing it? It just doesn't make sense.

Another possibility about using Jughead is that while it won't stop the necessity of pushing the button, it could be that what would have otherwise happened would completely destroy the island and everyone on it.

20. Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H Supporting Actor

Unless it was the fact she knew what would happen in shooting her own son and had to fulfill the time up till then. But the fact Locke is alive again may mean the island can do more than what we know so far. If the island is "alive" then it would be interesting to see where that leads and what it means for everyone.