What's new

Lost: Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I'm sure it was intentional, but anyone notice the voiceover guy sounded a bit like Rod Serling?

Also, yeah, the fake 70s/80s video stuff is done great lol.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by TravisR

Eventhough it's before my time, they have a very In Search Of... (which was Unsolved Mysteries before there was Unsolved Mysteries) vibe to them.
You know what Homer says: "Don't show 'em til you solve 'em!"

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
After watching the Disc One recap, we watched the first three episodes from season five. I will comment more on these at a later time, but suffice it to say that if there was any doubt whether we had crossed over to the sci-fi genre in earnest before this, there certainly isn't any longer. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We watched four more episodes today. We’re up to The Life and Death of Jeremy Benthem. The series is moving along quite nicely. The meeting between Jin and Danielle was fun, as were several of the time-shifts. I like how (in 816) the parties came together to be on the return flight. Line of the day: “We’re not going to Guam” (Frank Lapiduss). That was one of the funniest things I’ve heard on Lost in a long time. And how about how relaxed the Oceanic 6 (or actually, Oceanic 5) were when the plane hit turbulence? The stewardesses were quite a bit more frightened than any of the six, and for good reason since they knew beforehand that they were going to survive.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I remember being surprised at how quickly they went back the Island in S4. I was certain that it would take the entire season, and that the big question of the season would be whether and how they got back to the Island (the return, if one, would naturally occur in the finale.)

I suspect that had they not committed to an end date, S4 would have unfolded that way. None of this should be taken to mean that I have problem with S4.

The "Guam" line made me laugh as well. Lapidus rules.

--
H

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

Yeah, it did occur quite fast, didn't it? I don't really mind too much, as it left a lot of time for some other characters and stories.

BTW, I found The Life and Death of Jeremy Benthem to be somewhat difficult to follow (especially the death of Locke at the hands of Ben). I'm going to have to watch that one again before moving on to disc three.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We're zipping through season five rather quickly. We've watched LaFleur, Namaste, He's Our You, Whatever Happened, Happened, and Dead Is Dead over the past two evenings. It was really good to see Alex again. And Locke wasn't on disc 3 until the final clip of the fourth episode, when he's speaking to Ben. (Then again, he was dead.) It was also good to see a bit more of the Temple.

During Dead Is Dead, several in our family were trying to figure out if we were really seeing Locke or the MiB as 'Locke.' When we saw the MiB as 'Alex,' we guessed that we would not see both 'Alex' and 'Locke' simultaneously, which we did not. (Of course, given what we were formulating, we could have seen 'Alex' and Locke at the same time, but this too didn't occur.) It doesn't yet prove anything conclusive to our season five mindset, but it does make some things a bit more provocative -- not that Lost needs to be more thought-provoking. ;)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Just finished S5 and , after singing the praises of the show in its entirety at the end of S4, I'm very conflicted about what I just watched and where the material seems to be heading now. Of course, most of you all now know where it's been taken, so I'm still left stumbling in the dark for a little while, offering praise or criticism that I may want to eventually retract.

It's odd but one feeling I have now is that the show seems, for the first time to me, to be spinning its wheels. Which is curious since the season and especially last couple eps were so densely plotted. And there were plenty of elements to the season I enjoyed quite a bit, including the whole 3 years in Dharma-ville. But finding Locke wasn't Locke (which I was able to call a couple eps in), and that there is yet another set of game players here, is pulling the material in a direction I'm not real excited to see it go.

Originally Posted by Sean Laughter 1260#post_3557571

I actually found the Jacob-based flashbacks a bit contrived, and agree with some that it sat too much like how they stuck Nikki and Paolo into scenes after the fact.

My question is, does this mean that the whole Whidmore v Ben thing is just window dressing, having nothing to do with J v Anti-J? Is that now retconned to make room for this alpha conflict? I have my doubts that all of this ends up ending satisfactorily within the 15 or so episodes of the final season.
I actually enjoyed/wasn't bothered by the Nikki and Paolo material, but I agree with regards to all the Jacob stuff here. The Ben vs Whidmore conflict seemed to offer plenty of room to incorporate larger themes and more twists and revelations. The J v. anti-J feels too extraneous, especially since it seems J is introduced to us and dismissed all in one ep. It may be the 'ultimate' conflict in this story's universe, but it's meaningless to me since they aren't characters I'm invested in. Even worse, this plotline took a character I did care about and killed him off to go on this tangent.

I'm sure the creators involved will get all these separate threads to converge for the ultimate resolution, but at this point it sure seems like there is a conscious decision being made to pad this out about 10 more eps than it needed to be.

I dunno, maybe it's good that I'm left a little dissatisfied now so the next three months waiting for the Bd set won't be torture and I can get on with my life.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott

Just finished S5 and , after singing the praises of the show in its entirety at the end of S4, I'm very conflicted about what I just watched and where the material seems to be heading now. Of course, most of you all now know where it's been taken, so I'm still left stumbling in the dark for a little while, offering praise or criticism that I may want to eventually retract.

It's odd but one feeling I have now is that the show seems, for the first time to me, to be spinning its wheels. Which is curious since the season and especially last couple eps were so densely plotted. And there were plenty of elements to the season I enjoyed quite a bit, including the whole 3 years in Dharma-ville. But finding Locke wasn't Locke (which I was able to call a couple eps in), and that there is yet another set of game players here, is pulling the material in a direction I'm not real excited to see it go.

I actually enjoyed/wasn't bothered by the Nikki and Paolo material, but I agree with regards to all the Jacob stuff here. The Ben vs Whidmore conflict seemed to offer plenty of room to incorporate larger themes and more twists and revelations. The J v. anti-J feels too extraneous, especially since it seems J is introduced to us and dismissed all in one ep. It may be the 'ultimate' conflict in this story's universe, but it's meaningless to me since they aren't characters I'm invested in. Even worse, this plotline took a character I did care about and killed him off to go on this tangent.

I'm sure the creators involved will get all these separate threads to converge for the ultimate resolution, but at this point it sure seems like there is a conscious decision being made to pad this out about 10 more eps than it needed to be.

I dunno, maybe it's good that I'm left a little dissatisfied now so the next three months waiting for the Bd set won't be torture and I can get on with my life.

Without getting into spoilers for the final season, I'll say that confilct is shown to be anything but meaningless, involves the major characters, and is not at all padding.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

Without getting into spoilers for the final season, I'll say that confilct is shown to be anything but meaningless, involves the major characters, and is not at all padding.

Hey Josh.

Going back through these threads after I've finished each season, I've found your post in particular to be very insightful and illuminating. When I read your reply last night, it got my enthusiasm and curiosity up again and I decided to find a way to see as much of S6 online as I could. Spent the last 24 hours, with a few breaks here and there, blowing through the first 15 eps. I'll hold off making any definitive comments since I'm still trying to process it all. From now on I'll see everybody over in the S6 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks